Woodbender

New Member, First Post inquiring about a Singer 531-8bl

Hello everyone, thanks for accepting me into this group.

I am new to sewing and new to sewing machines. I acquired a frozen Bernina Record 730, got it freed up and running smoothly. I soon realized it was a home machine for fabric, not the heavy duty machine I thought it was.... So.... I recently bought the machine in the photo Singer 531-8BL. I think it's roughly a clone of other machines like the Consew 206rb, made by Seiko around 1956, but I'm not sure about any of that. I'm having quite a challenge even finding a manual.

I bought it in working (filthy) condition, clutch motor. It runs silky smooth, I'm happy to report, Just mounted a Consew servo motor and am about to dive into the settings and adjustments, following the Thoughtful Woodworker's videos. I'm fairly adept with machinery but I don't know what I don't know.

Any comments on the machine, how to operate and what to look for or look OUT for.. would be greatly appreciated. Serial number TH 9506709. I'm here to soak up info like a sponge.

Thanks!

singer walking foot.jpg

It bears an uncanny resemblance to a Consew 206rb-1.

This manual might be what you need:

https://www.manualslib.com/download/1302047/Consew-206rb.html

Edited by AlZilla

Thank you. How do you distinguish the rb-1 from the other 206rb models?

Just now, Woodbender said:

Thank you. How do you distinguish the rb-1 from the other 206rb models?

The usual way - looking at pictures on the internet. The reverse lever seems to be a unique shape to the 1. I could be all the way out in left field.

I'm surprised the big dogs haven't looked in here and given you chapter and verse on that thing.

Maybe if I throw a few dog biscuits out here ... @kgg , @Uwe , @Wizcrafts , @CowboyBob ...

One of these guys should know exactly what you have without looking at pictures on the internet and keep me from steering you wrong.

Edited by AlZilla

It's new to me too.

Since there is no reverse on this machine, you'll have to use the old fashioned methods to lock in the starting and ending stitches. Those are sew all around and cross over 5 to 7 stitches; or sew a few stitches, then with the needle up, pull back and resew into those stitches; or sew backwards then spin the work 180 degrees (I call this Poor Man's Reverse).

8 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

Since there is no reverse on this machine,

Maybe I'm wrong, I assumed the stitch length lever also served as the reverse.

On 11/29/2023 at 7:16 PM, Woodbender said:

Any comments on the machine, how to operate and what to look for or look OUT for.. would be greatly appreciated. Serial number TH 9506709. I'm here to soak up info like a sponge.

This what I think I know of your Singer 531B-8BL probably built around mid 1990's were rebadged Seiko's STH 8BL and sold by Consew as 206 RB, Singer 531-8bl and possibly Chikon CK-8BL( http://www.chikon.com.tw/ck-8bl.htm ). 

The front head assembly (needle area) look awfully close to that of a Juki LU-563 but different reverse / forward stitching mechanisms to my mind.

5 hours ago, AlZilla said:

Maybe if I throw a few dog biscuits out here ... @kgg , @Uwe , @Wizcrafts , @CowboyBob ...

There is a couple of manuals which may help.

kgg

Consew_206RB_Operating_Instructions.pdf SINGER_5318BL.pdf

Maybe I'm wrong, I assumed the stitch length lever also served as the reverse.

Yeah. Middle is zero stitch length and up is typically reverse.     The thumb-screw lets you lock it so forward and reverse are mostly the same stitch length. 

Thank you, everyone, the info is very  helpful.

On this machine, reverse is the 'up' position of the stich length lever. Mine is spring loaded, so the lever goes back down, into forward, by itself if you just let go. Hard to believe  how smooth she is with obviously a LOT of use - must take a million miles of thread to wear the paint off of the table. Another question - Is this a clone of the consew 206rb-1 or a different variant of the 206?

37 minutes ago, Woodbender said:

Another question - Is this a clone of the consew 206rb-1 or a different variant of the 206?

This a Seiko design. They were market in North America by Consew as the 206RB and the Singer 531 same machine just a different badges. 

kgg

Yep, I’m also putting my money on your Singer 531-8BL being a relabeled Seiko STH-8BL. The later models had a rotary stitch length dial with a separate reverse lever. This machine should do reverse, just like all the others with this type of combination stitch-length-and-reverse lever. It’s very likely a Seiko Design manufactured by Seiko in Japan and sold with various badges around the world. Consew was the marketing brand that Seiko used to distribute their machines in the USA.

Here’s a picture of the original Seiko STH-8BL:

IMG_0288.jpeg

Edited by Uwe

Yup, sure does look like the two machines are identical except for the label.

Hey, not meaning to high-jack this thread, but looking at buying this exact same model. Just wondering how thick/what weight of leather you would be able to sew with this?