dbltlk44

Leather Pants pattern?

Hello All!

EDIT: I see this is probably in the wrong part of the forum! Sorry about that! Probably belongs in the clothing area.

Longtime lurker and sometimes poster, and enjoying all the knowledge floating around here!

I have a long shot question, and hopefully anyone here at makes leather clothing might be able to shed some light.

I several pair of side lace-up, leather motorcycle pants that I wear quite often when riding, and I'd like to make a pair in some nice brown cowhide I acquired. I made several leather garments before in the distant past, so it's not completely out of my wheelhouse, and i have a pair that fits me just about perfectly to take measurements from...but, I cannot seem to find any kind of pattern for these type of pants! Not rocket surgery I know, and I'm sure I could (eventually) draft a pattern off the existing pants and/or modify a jeans pattern and make it work...but I'd love to find a premade pattern IF one actually exists!

Anyway, thank You in advance for any and all info! And Happy Holidays all!

20231212_113917.jpg

Edited by dbltlk44

1 hour ago, dbltlk44 said:

EDIT: I see this is probably in the wrong part of the forum! Sorry about that! Probably belongs in the clothing area

Moved it for you

3 minutes ago, Northmount said:

Moved it for you

Thank You so much!

Have you looked in Etsy? They have a very large number of patterns for leather items and might have one for this as well.

Edited by SUP

3 hours ago, SUP said:

Have you looked in Etsy? They have a very large number of patterns for leather items and might have one for this as well.

Appreciate the reply! I did scour Etsy, as well as a broad Google search...came up empty handed unfortunately.

This isn't exactly what you are looking for, but its close.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1431200517/flared-jeans-bootcut-pants-retro-5

The really simple way to do this . . . go to the Salvation Army nearest you . . . go to their "britches" rack and grab off a half dozen that look like they may fit . . . go to the fitting room and find "the one" that fits you the best . . . the way you like em.

Buy em . . . take em home . . . get out the seam ripper and a very  sharp utility knife . . . take em apart at the seams . . . wash the parts in a sink . . . and make up a light batch of Argo starch . . .  starch em all . . . and when dry, iron the pieces with a steam iron . . . voila . . . you have a better pattern than anything you could get from etsy . . . ebay . . . or Joann fabric.

AND . . . you know if you do it right . . . you already know how they'll fit . . . and if you might want to allow a tad here or a tad there for a better fit.

Take pictures and post back here when you are done . . . would love to see the end result.

But just as a side note . . . the jungle greens we wore in Vietnam did not have pockets like the ones you have pictured.  They were patch pockets . . . pieces of material that were formed and sewn on the front and back leg areas . . . as well as a side pocket on the outside of each thigh.  If it were me . . . THAT is the design I'd use . . . much easier than the one you pictured . . . and they look good as well.

May God bless,

Dwight

7 hours ago, Aven said:

This isn't exactly what you are looking for, but its close.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1431200517/flared-jeans-bootcut-pants-retro-5

Tks Aven, appreciate it...I'll check it out!

2 hours ago, Dwight said:

The really simple way to do this . . . go to the Salvation Army nearest you . . . go to their "britches" rack and grab off a half dozen that look like they may fit . . . go to the fitting room and find "the one" that fits you the best . . . the way you like em.

Buy em . . . take em home . . . get out the seam ripper and a very  sharp utility knife . . . take em apart at the seams . . . wash the parts in a sink . . . and make up a light batch of Argo starch . . .  starch em all . . . and when dry, iron the pieces with a steam iron . . . voila . . . you have a better pattern than anything you could get from etsy . . . ebay . . . or Joann fabric.

AND . . . you know if you do it right . . . you already know how they'll fit . . . and if you might want to allow a tad here or a tad there for a better fit.

Take pictures and post back here when you are done . . . would love to see the end result.

But just as a side note . . . the jungle greens we wore in Vietnam did not have pockets like the ones you have pictured.  They were patch pockets . . . pieces of material that were formed and sewn on the front and back leg areas . . . as well as a side pocket on the outside of each thigh.  If it were me . . . THAT is the design I'd use . . . much easier than the one you pictured . . . and they look good as well.

May God bless,

Dwight

Dwight, Sincerely appreciate it! This is the route I may well have to take. I definitely want a specific fit, and working off a known-good fitting piece would be ideal...just a little modification/adjustment for the lace up sides would be a breeze really. And yes, I'll definitely go with patch pockets instead of the conventional design, don't really use the pockets much anyway when I ride so might as well simplify construction. And, while I didn't work for Uncle Sam, I had a few pair of those fatigue pants years ago..good solid design. Even had a pair of OD's that were "field modified" to tiger stripe...wish I still had em, they were pretty cool.

Excellent idea on the "starching", I'd never have thought to do that, but makes perfect sense. 

I will definitely share here when I get to putting them together, thanks for the great ideas Dwight!