DieselTech

Capable 138 thread sewing machine options?

Guys & gals what would be a good sewing machine to buy that is 138 thread capable? 

I was looking at the Artisan 797 or a Cowboy 797, maybe a weaver 303, or maybe the Sailite leatherwork machine. 

What sewing machine would be good for 138 thread & sewing wallets, card holders & other flat work? 

I'm looking for a smaller machine to compliment my Cobra Class 4 I'll be getting in March. 

Are there any cheaper sewing machine alternatives to the machines I mentioned above? 

Thanks any & all help greatly appreciated. 

Forgot to throw in the Consew 206 RB-5, Maybe this machine might fit the bill as well. 

The 206 would be the best.

13 minutes ago, CowboyBob said:

The 206 would be the best.

That's the 1 I keep leaning towards. Is 138 thread size max thread size on a Consew 206 RB-5? 

Thanks for your input & knowledge.

1 hour ago, DieselTech said:

I was looking at the Artisan 797 or a Cowboy 797, maybe a weaver 303, or maybe the Sailite leatherwork machine. 

The Artisan 797, Cowboy 797, Weaver 303 appear to be very similar / clone of the Juki 1181N. The Sailrite Leatherworker is just a portable walking foot Sailrite LS painted green thrown into a small table with a very good servo motor. It is rated for 1/4 " thick (maybe) with V92 thread in a class 15 bobbin (very small). Depending what you want to sew and the thickness they maybe OK but I would consider all of them really better for fabric applications.

As has been suggested a Consew 206RB-5 would be a far better choice amongst the clones.

kgg

I sewed professionally on a Consew 206RB, making ballistic material blackout window blinds for schools. The machine takes a large M style bobbin and has no problem sewing with #138 thread. I also used  Nomex thread in that machine to repair some firefighter turnout gear. I normally kept it threaded with #69 bonded nylon for the thin blinds. But, it didn't hiccup with #138..

6 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

I sewed professionally on a Consew 206RB, making ballistic material blackout window blinds for schools. The machine takes a large M style bobbin and has no problem sewing with #138 thread. I also used  Nomex thread in that machine to repair some firefighter turnout gear. I normally kept it threaded with #69 bonded nylon for the thin blinds. But, it didn't hiccup with #138..

6 hours ago, kgg said:

The Artisan 797, Cowboy 797, Weaver 303 appear to be very similar / clone of the Juki 1181N. The Sailrite Leatherworker is just a portable walking foot Sailrite LS painted green thrown into a small table with a very good servo motor. It is rated for 1/4 " thick (maybe) with V92 thread in a class 15 bobbin (very small). Depending what you want to sew and the thickness they maybe OK but I would consider all of them really better for fabric applications.

As has been suggested a Consew 206RB-5 would be a far better choice amongst the clones.

kgg

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your time and knowledge. It looks like a Consew 206 RB-5 will be my next major purchase. 

Thanks everyone. 

My 206rb is well worn and will sew 207.  I've had two dealers in the past have asked me to repair new 206rb5 because of thread jams.  Tight clearances.  I have never replaced a hook on 206rb's for almost 50 years.   Used may be good.

My as new 280l will sew 138 never tried 207 on that machine.

1 hour ago, ljk said:

My 206rb is well worn and will sew 207.  I've had two dealers in the past have asked me to repair new 206rb5 because of thread jams.  Tight clearances.  I have never replaced a hook on 206rb's for almost 50 years.   Used may be good.

My as new 280l will sew 138 never tried 207 on that machine.

I was wondering if the 206rb-5 would handle 207 thread. Basically if it's got some wear the 206rb might sew with a 207 thread is what you are saying. 

Thanks. I appreciate your input. 

On 206 rb5 I have tried valve grinding compound.  I have tried moving hook closer to needle and moving needle up and down helps some.  I bought a new 206 rb5 20 years ago no problem.  Next try Dremel buffing wheels worked great on clearing and buffing CLSP (chinese shoe patcher) hook, shuttle carrier. and shuttle.  These parts are heat treated but not buffed.

Adjusting  the needle positioner might be also needed

14 hours ago, DieselTech said:

I was wondering if the 206rb-5 would handle 207 thread.

If you go to Toledo sewing machine website for the Consew 206RB-5 ( https://www.tolindsewmach.com/consew-206rb.html ) the machine is rated for a #25 needle and V207 thread. Note that a #25 needle will handle V277 thread. From that I would assume it can handle V207 thread to the max sewing thickness as you sometimes have to go up a needle size up for the thread size being used when sewing in thick items. In your case V207 thread with a #25 needle rather then a #24 needle.

kgg

6 minutes ago, kgg said:

If you go to Toledo sewing machine website for the Consew 206RB-5 ( https://www.tolindsewmach.com/consew-206rb.html ) the machine is rated for a #25 needle and V207 thread. Note that a #25 needle will handle V277 thread. From that I would assume it can handle V207 thread to the max sewing thickness as you sometimes have to go up a needle size up for the thread size being used when sewing in thick items. In your case V207 thread with a #25 needle rather then a #24 needle.

kgg

The Consew 206rb-5 sounds like quite the sewing machine. I'm almost wondering if I would get more use out of it over a Cobra Cass 4. 

I have read that some people step down 1 needle size for a given thread size & they say their machine sews/performs better. 

I get lost when it comes to the different needle series for different types of machines. 

I appreciate your help & knowledge. 

Wish sewing machines weren't so dang expensive. 

Thanks.

The Consew 206rb-5 sounds like quite the sewing machine.

The Consew appears to be a decent clone machine at a decent price point.

I'm almost wondering if I would get more use out of it over a Cobra Cass 4. 

Remember no one machine is going to be able to do everything. I think the main factors in selecting a machine is dependent on what you are planning on sewing, the size of thread you want to use and the thickness of material being sewn. If most of your items are going to be close to or above 3/8" thick or you want to use above V207 then a class 441 machine probably would be a better investment. If the majority of your items can be handled by a Class 1341 machine with a flatbed attachment I would select it over a flatbed just because of the versatility. The flatbed attachment will give you the ability to do flat or cylinder work without having to have a second machine. I would also suggest if most of your items will work well on a Class 1341 like a Juki LS-1341 or clone get the best you can afford and wait for a good second hand Class 441 or vise versa.

Also chances are at some point down the road you will sell you machine and keep in mind a  brand name machine like Juki / PFAFF /Alder will be easier to sell and command a higher resale price then a clone.

Decisions Decisions.

I get lost when it comes to the different needle series for different types of machines. 

Typically the 135 x 16 or 135 x 17 needles as well as the 134 needles are for upholstery class machines both flatbed like Juki 1181N (and respective clones) and Juki 1541 (and respective clones) and cylinder arm Class 1341 like Juki LS-1341(and respective clones) while the Class 441 like the Juki TSC441 (and respective clones) uses the much large 793 needles.

Buy Once, Cry Once.

kgg

Edited by kgg

Dieseltech; Consew 227R is a cylinder arm version of the 206 RB. It has pretty much the same specs as the flatbed, except for the bobbin size, which is slightly smaller. I have both machines, and would keep the 227 if only allowed to have one. You can always put a flatbed on the cylinder arm.