Dwight

Pattern needed: zippered Bible cover

Been messing with a Bible cover for a friend . . . have come to the conclusion it is not a holster or a belt . . . or a piece of Roman soldier's armor . . . them I can do.

This has me stumped . . . need someone to kick me in the right direction.

Thanks . . . may God bless.

Dwight

Does it have to be zipped?
I think it will be hard to find a ready made size as the book comes in different sizes, maybe a slip on cover would be easier to create a pattern by yourself.
There are some nice slip on covers and a simple search on YouTube shows tutorials from Don Gonzales and this nice lady, both with tips how to make it work for any size.

12 hours ago, Dwight said:

Been messing with a Bible cover for a friend . . . have come to the conclusion it is not a holster or a belt . . . or a piece of Roman soldier's armor . . . them I can do.

Dwight

i am pretty sure there is a pattern in one of AL stohlmans books i will look.

On 12/20/2023 at 8:33 AM, chuck123wapati said:

i am pretty sure there is a pattern in one of AL stohlmans books i will look.

Leather Cases, Vol 2 has great info on making YOUR OWN pattern - very helpful.

Or, Amazon has a bazzillion Bible covers for not much money.

As for whether to zipper or not, YES!  A CLOSED case is mandatory if your Bible is dropped, or hit, or slides off a car seat.  So, YES!

On 12/19/2023 at 8:28 PM, Dwight said:

Dwight

Dwight o do not have a templet but I have made a few

couple of things to know  if you are going to round the corners   Then you must increase the the size of the jacket  or the book will bind up

iifbyou are using a zipper   Make the zipper 2” longer on each end   Total of 4”

sew the zipper onto the gusset  end the stitching  1” from the end  this is so the Bible can open  lay flat, with out binding the teeth on the zippee

tuck the excess into the bible

or you can do away with the zipper all together  and use a strap like  the Monks used way back  in the day  I personally love that look more than a zipper

IMG_0315.jpeg

IMG_0314.jpeg

IMG_3171.jpeg

IMG_3174.jpeg

IMG_4713.jpeg

When my wife’s gets home I will get a few close ups of the zipper for you

you can do this, you do not need a pattern just a square and a pencil

This is my Bible cover

IMG_1018.jpeg.8121decba06b2478f783b228d2be1a3d.jpegIMG_1019.jpeg.1233ee183870d9f470078d4b39577514.jpegIMG_1020.jpeg.4fc1494ed9533968a6e271badbd16d06.jpegIMG_1021.jpeg.173ac4a5e560ad897125a555494d6422.jpeg

On 12/22/2023 at 5:00 AM, JLSleather said:

As for whether to zipper or not, YES!  A CLOSED case is mandatory if your Bible is dropped, or hit, or slides off a car seat.  So, YES!

Sorry, I quoted the wrong post.  -  -

@Dwight. +1 on the Al Stohlman Leather Cases Vol. 2.  I've made three with a zipper and hope I don't ever make another.  Me and gussets + zippers are not friends.  I myself carry an "off the shelf" one.  I've made one for the granddaughter, my wife and daughter-in-law.  I don't like myself as much as I like them.  I should probably talk to a therapist about that.  As usual, JM2C.  Jim

PS.  I made one for my youngest granddaughter that was more of a "sleeve" with handles.  Lots easier.

IMG_0719.jpg

Edited by jrdunn

On the corners

If. your bible is 6” x 8” 

With a 1 1/2” thick Bible

6 +6+ 1/1/2. 13 1/2 plus 3. =16 1/ 2

8” plus 3”=11”

16”1/2”. X  11”  is your leather cut

add 1 1/2” to each side. And 1/2” to the width. 

zipoer is 4” longer 

6+6+8+4=24” zipper buy a 30” and cut the end when complete

liner?  Tip on cutting the thin silky fabric

use yellow shipping tape along the stitch line  then cut along the tape  fold the fabric in on itself leave the tape inside

The tape will stop that stuff from bunching up under the foot of your machine

Gusset

if the Bible is 1 1/2” thick add 1/2” then add another 1/2” for 2 stitch lines

2   1/2” wide gusset. Add another 1/2” for zipper stitch line

3”.  Cut in half. And sew the zipper. Leave the zipper open on both ends so you have 2 separate pieces. 

I assume you have what you need

no replys

if not, give me dimensions of Bible And I will send you a complete  paper pattern 

3 hours ago, Frodo said:

I assume you have what you need

no replys

if not, give me dimensions of Bible And I will send you a complete  paper pattern 

Thanks, Frodo . . . but the other day I found a video . . .  he shows how he does zippers on notebooks . . . all I gotta do is scale it up for the Bible.  

He also shows me where I went wrong on my first try . . . and how to beat it.  

It's actually a very informative video . . . 

Again . . . thanks, may God bless,

Dwight

7 hours ago, Dwight said:

Thanks, Frodo . . . but the other day I found a video . . .  he shows how he does zippers on notebooks . . . all I gotta do is scale it up for the Bible.  

He also shows me where I went wrong on my first try . . . and how to beat it.  

It's actually a very informative video . . . 

Again . . . thanks, may God bless,

Dwight

Interesting video

My take on it is I 100% disagree with his method of installing the ribbon on card pockets

I did learn from his zipper portion of the video

Thank you for sharing

6 minutes ago, Frodo said:

Interesting video

My take on it is I 100% disagree with his method of installing the ribbon on card pockets

I did learn from his zipper portion of the video

Thank you for sharing

I was up ahead of the idea in that I made a solid wood block the size of Dave's Bible . . . 

I tried hand sewing it though . . . with seriously bad results . . . and then I found his idea . . . will use it next . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

3 hours ago, Dwight said:

I was up ahead of the idea in that I made a solid wood block the size of Dave's Bible . . . 

I tried hand sewing it though . . . with seriously bad results . . . and then I found his idea . . . will use it next . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

I do not not use. Wood block I just use a tape measure. Next one I make I am going to try a block

@Dwight,  Thanks for posting Aaron's video.  I watched it and learned a lot.  How are you planning on implementing his method of zipper installation into your Bible cover?  I assume that it has a wrap around zipper in a gusset.  I only ask because I would like a less nerve racking and less dreaded method of zippered gusset installation.  I have completed reasonably good looking covers with Al Stohlman's method but cannot say that I'm proficient or even comfortable with it.  If I could get at least semi-comfortable with that, I think I would enjoy making covers.  I included a pic of my first zippered cover.

513680025_BibleCover.thumb.jpg.2434e29af4e23f0289b9e3b3a1efb149.jpg

Edited by jrdunn
Duplicate picture

JR . . .  from making holsters . . .  I learned early on that a pattern of what you want to put in leather . . .  makes making the leather a whole BIG bunch easier.

I have a wooden "model" of David's Bible . . . with the added amount it will take to allow the Bible to rest in there without the edges becoming cramped or bent.

A lady ruined my personal Bible when she made one for me and it was too small.  Ignorantly at the time . . . I tried to use it anyway . . . ruined the spline.

Long story short . . . I'm not familiar with Stohlmans book cover stuff . . . other things yes . . . that . . . no.

But this fellow here on Leather Makers Supply . . . makes it so it is almost impossible to screw it up.  Once you have the zipper on the interior (pulled around your pattern and "taped" together . . . you can open and close the zipper . . . telling you how hard or easy you will have it later.

You then just add the outside cover . . .  unzip it . . . turn it so the outside is facing up . . . start on one end of the open end of the zipper . . . sew up around it . . . come back on the other side of the zipper . . . do some lock stitches . . . cut the thread . . . you are done.

I'm also going to add a couple card pockets . . . and a small triangular pocket like the fellow did on his sample he showed us.

Looks like with the covid doing it's thing against me . . . probably be at least a few days . . . but I'll pop up pictures as I go . . . unless I forget.

May God bless,

Dwight

for a cheap, oily "notebook" which appears designed to sell "templates", that method might work.

FOr a Bible, which is likely 1 1/4" or MORE thickness, you're going to want a leather ZIPPER GUSSET.  Somebody probably does make zipper tape wide enough, but I wouldnt' expect any longevity out of it.

AND, though it may seem obvious, always use a brass zipper - not that nylon stuff. ;)

These done as Stohlman shows in that book. Looks like a lot of words and drawings, but once ya lay it out in front of ya it aint that difficult ;)  Sew or lace as desired (triple loop lace used on the bottom two).

Hayes.jpg

11 hours ago, JLSleather said:

for a cheap, oily "notebook" which appears designed to sell "templates", that method might work.

FOr a Bible, which is likely 1 1/4" or MORE thickness, you're going to want a leather ZIPPER GUSSET.  Somebody probably does make zipper tape wide enough, but I wouldnt' expect any longevity out of it.

AND, though it may seem obvious, always use a brass zipper - not that nylon stuff. ;)

These done as Stohlman shows in that book. Looks like a lot of words and drawings, but once ya lay it out in front of ya it aint that difficult ;)  Sew or lace as desired (triple loop lace used on the bottom two).

Hayes.jpg

Love your work! Top notch!!

Where do you source your zippers? And what size do you most commonly use for a Bible?

Thanks!

10 hours ago, KYCat said:

Where do you source your zippers? And what size do you most commonly use for a Bible?

You can get zipper tape lotsa places.  I have bot it at S-T Leather (out of st louis), tandy, hobby lobby, ... you get the idea.  Most places will carry it in black and brown material.  You'll need zipper pulls and stops as well - the pulls you might find individually, the stops are likely a pack of 5 or 10.

I like the #5 brass ... is there another kind ;)

Troy.jpgTwo binders shown were for 3" ring binders - making them about 3.5" thick. 

Hayes2.jpg

The other was more of a "portfolio" type thing, requested by a gal for her father who was retired from teh Coast Guard.  Just pockets for papers and a spot for business cards - his in the pocket and others he receives behind the pocket.
Obviously, this type is more suited to a Bible cover.
MY Bible, which is as yet uncovered (think cobler's kid no shoes) is like

9 1/4" x  6 3/" x 1 5/8" 

if I squish it together... maybe close to 1 1/2" thick.  I keep saying "one day" I'll get round to making a cover I like ;)

OH YEAH -- the lining "innards" of both of these were done with kidskin from S-T Leather.  Used to be product #L3777, not sure if it still is. You can get this in nearly the same look at a couple other places, but you'll pay considerably more. Same stuff I use to make wallet 'innards", as it's thin but still strong and looks very nice.

23 hours ago, JLSleather said:

Hayes.jpg

Those are absolutely beautiful . . . and far beyond my capabilities . . . 

I'm using strips of the same leather used inside for the panels . . . using that as strips for my zipper.  

Yeah . . . brass zippers for sure . . . I plan on David's Bible cover most likely outliving his Bible.  We do dumb things to books as people . . . and finally wind up wrecking them.

But the other thing in that picture . . . the laced one !!!  Never . . . and I mean never.  I did a wallet one time . . . laced it around . . . decided then and there that if I ever . . . EVER . . . got that thing done . . . I would never . . . ever . . . do any more.

I've kept that promise too.  Got several pieces of that stuff hanging in the shop . . . I look at it and laugh at it from time to time.

May God bless,

Dwight

13 hours ago, JLSleather said:

You can get zipper tape lotsa places.  I have bot it at S-T Leather (out of st louis), tandy, hobby lobby, ... you get the idea.  Most places will carry it in black and brown material.  You'll need zipper pulls and stops as well - the pulls you might find individually, the stops are likely a pack of 5 or 10.

I like the #5 brass ... is there another kind ;)

Troy.jpgTwo binders shown were for 3" ring binders - making them about 3.5" thick. 

Hayes2.jpg

The other was more of a "portfolio" type thing, requested by a gal for her father who was retired from teh Coast Guard.  Just pockets for papers and a spot for business cards - his in the pocket and others he receives behind the pocket.
Obviously, this type is more suited to a Bible cover.
MY Bible, which is as yet uncovered (think cobler's kid no shoes) is like

9 1/4" x  6 3/" x 1 5/8" 

if I squish it together... maybe close to 1 1/2" thick.  I keep saying "one day" I'll get round to making a cover I like ;)

OH YEAH -- the lining "innards" of both of these were done with kidskin from S-T Leather.  Used to be product #L3777, not sure if it still is. You can get this in nearly the same look at a couple other places, but you'll pay considerably more. Same stuff I use to make wallet 'innards", as it's thin but still strong and looks very nice.

Thanks so much for the response and the inspiration-- my Bible is all broken down in the spine. Was thinking of trying to reglue and make a permanent cover for it.

Your info will help tremendously! I wholeheartedly agree with Dwight, I made a checkbook cover for my wife and didn't think I'd EVER get all the way around it!!! :)  It was really good for my sanctification!

On 1/9/2024 at 7:23 AM, KYCat said:

I made a checkbook cover for my wife and didn't think I'd EVER get all the way around it!!! :)  It was really good for my sanctification!

Lacing is one of those "sitting on a comfy chair with the feet up" applications, when time allows me to do it that way.  It's about the ONLY time I ever have a tv on ;)

These were triple-loop laced, which is even more time consuming than the double-loop generally used on wallets.  LOTS of lace, too.  Dont even remember the linear feet of lace, but its a good bit.  Figger the distance to be laced would be like around 80" depending on teh details of the design (compared to a wallet, which is about 25").