DieselTech

Leather lining options.

Guys & gals I'm curious as what I can use for wallet linings, clutch wallet & purse linings & projects of such?

A lot of guys recommend veg tan kangaroo or goat skin. Well kangaroo is a bit out of my price range at this point. 

I was thinking about veg-tan calfskin for my linings of projects, or even sheepskin. 

Can some of you professionals give me some advice/direction to go. I mainly only use veg-tan leathers at this point for my projects. 

I was thinking veg-tan calfskin would be tight grained & also would dye well. 

Thanks any & all help would be greatly appreciated. 

Edited by DieselTech
Misspelling

For wallets and light-weight items like that I prefer a heavy cloth; heavy as in thickish so adhesive doesn't come through it

For purses and larger items I prefer a thin chrome tan leather. I have a supplier who sells me some very thin chrome tan, thin as in under 1mm thick. Its also coloured so I don't have to bother with that 

3 hours ago, fredk said:

For wallets and light-weight items like that I prefer a heavy cloth; heavy as in thickish so adhesive doesn't come through it

For purses and larger items I prefer a thin chrome tan leather. I have a supplier who sells me some very thin chrome tan, thin as in under 1mm thick. Its also coloured so I don't have to bother with that 

Thanks fredk. I'm trying to get a idea what I might need to use for a thin leather for card pockets & stuff like that. 

I thought maybe the calfskin being tight grained & such would be better for card pockets & linings if need be. 

Thanks I appreciate your knowledge & input. 

15 minutes ago, DieselTech said:

. . . I'm trying to get a idea what I might need to use for a thin leather for card pockets & stuff like that. 

Glazed pigskin

https://www.tandyleather.world/products/glazed-pig-lining?_pos=1&_sid=c3d0debb2&_ss=r

1 hour ago, fredk said:

Ok thanks I'll pick some up to try. 

Would the calfskin be better suited for pistol holster lining? 

Thanks. 

1. I don't make holsters (yet)

2. I reckon it would 

For wallet liners, I like kidskin (goat).  Chrome tanned, thin, quite strong (though realistically, you don't need a lot of strength for wallet innards).gf.jpg

For holsters, goat again but veg -tanned.  very tight grained - forms, burnishes, and dyes very well and looks great.  can even be tooled if ya cared to.

redhawk.jpg

7 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

For wallet liners, I like kidskin (goat).  Chrome tanned, thin, quite strong (though realistically, you don't need a lot of strength for wallet innards).gf.jpg

For holsters, goat again but veg -tanned.  very tight grained - forms, burnishes, and dyes very well and looks great.  can even be tooled if ya cared to.

redhawk.jpg

Thanks yeah I think I'm going to get some kidskin & the calfskin, just to have another option for uses. 

I'm also just trying to learn floral & figure carvings & been practicing. I just love working with new veg tan leather. 

Thanks I appreciate your input & knowledge. 

I would second the calfskin. I tried sheepskin for pockets on my first wallet… terrible, way to stretchy and flimsy. Then I went to thin veg tan calfskin and I really like it. 

However if you are just lining something then the sheepskin is great, it adds almost no thickness and bends with the other leather well. 

49 minutes ago, RedCliffsLeatherwork said:

I would second the calfskin. I tried sheepskin for pockets on my first wallet… terrible, way to stretchy and flimsy. Then I went to thin veg tan calfskin and I really like it. 

However if you are just lining something then the sheepskin is great, it adds almost no thickness and bends with the other leather well. 

Thanks, I went ahead & ordered 2 veg tan calfskin's, 1 veg tan sheepskin & 1 veg tan goat skin. It gives me or the customer another option to pick from. 

One option when using thin fabric for linings. PVA "white" glue re-activates with heat. You can apply a thin layer to your leather, let dry, then iron on the liner, preventing issues with the glue wicking through the fabric.

20 minutes ago, Michael Sheldon said:

One option when using thin fabric for linings. PVA "white" glue re-activates with heat. You can apply a thin layer to your leather, let dry, then iron on the liner, preventing issues with the glue wicking through the fabric.

Thanks for the info & tip. I never thought about using a fabric as a liner. Plaid/flannel lining would be kind of neat. I may have to try this. 

Appreciate it. 

Not sure how flannel would work. The "fuzzy" surface may not adhere tightly? I've only used smooth fabrics.

Pigskin is cheap as chips and can come in various thicknesses and colours.

@fredkFor some reason I'm wishing you could visit JT Batchelor in London Fred. Probably because I know you would love it. An old Victorian mews warehouse full of dusty aisles and boxes with cobwebs and still every kind of leather/tools/findings etc. The most friendly and helpful staff. Where else could you go with your clicker dies, buy a side of leather, hire their very large clicker press for threepence halfpenny and come away with your projects already cut out?

I'm having withdrawal symptoms. Haven't been for awhile. I'll be going soon.