I don’t do a ton of painting so I’m having a hard time figuring out what’s going wrong here. My process is to

tool - dry over night

deglaze (with 50/50 alcohol + acetone) - dry for a few hours

paint with angelus acrylic - dry 24hrs

oil- dry a couple hours

tan-kote - dry a couple hours (if I buff it at this point to check nothing rubs off)

antique, and tan-kote again. Letting dry in between. 

Sometimes it goes perfectly. Equally as many times once I get to the antique it wipes the paint clear off, and I mean immediately dissolves it. 

Ive tried to recreate the issue on a scrap piece and the paint sticks just fine no issues so I cannot for the life of me figure out why I only have an issue when it’s something I’ve spent hours tooling. 

Is there something I’m missing here? 

Have you tried changing up the order of your steps? Maybe try painting after the antique. I have done it both ways, and it seems I always have to repaint for a crisper result in the paint when I antique after. Even when I use Pro Resist, over the paint. Just a suggestion. It is just one of those things , it gets down to what is the hide going to do:dunno:. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Is it where your tooling burnishes the leather? tool a piece of scrap or really give it a good burnishing then see how your process reacts?

This is what my wife would say, lol, have you followed the directions for the paint?https://help.angelusdirect.com/en-US/quick-guide-for-using-angelus-paint-109896

Merry Christmas:)

5 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

Is it where your tooling burnishes the leather? tool a piece of scrap or really give it a good burnishing then see how your process reacts?

This is what my wife would say, lol, have you followed the directions for the paint?https://help.angelusdirect.com/en-US/quick-guide-for-using-angelus-paint-109896

Merry Christmas:)

It’s on the relief part of the tooling so no burnishing. I’ll try some more tests.  

Your wife has wise words but this is one of the few instances where I feel like I am following directions :lol:

I tried to save it and just re-painted the brand after the antique process(I deglazed it with a q-tip as best I could..). I let dry overnight and sprayed resolene to finish. Hoping that will do it. I hate the shine with resolene but I figured something I could spray would be safer and I’m on a time crunch seeing as Xmas is tomorrow. Luckily it’s for a friend so I’ll chalk it up to R&D and see how it holds up. 

Hoping to get this painting problem figured out though. I love putting people’s brands on things and it always looks better painted black. I think the only time it’s worked out is on a pair of spur straps for myself that I just whipped up and didn’t care much about. The paint stuck like glue and had no problem at all. Same process, same products I did this time. :dunno:

12 hours ago, rleather said:

Have you tried changing up the order of your steps? Maybe try painting after the antique. I have done it both ways, and it seems I always have to repaint for a crisper result in the paint when I antique after. Even when I use Pro Resist, over the paint. Just a suggestion. It is just one of those things , it gets down to what is the hide going to do:dunno:. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I had always read that painting had to be done before any finishing or products being applied to the leather. That it had to be deglazed and clean so that’s what I’ve done. Clearly not working out so well :lol: 

With this project, yeah I decided to just try to re-paint it after the antique to try to save it. I deglazed the area with a q-tip as best I could and re-painted it. Dried overnight, sprayed with resolene this morning and tried not to disturb it. Hoping it works out. It’s a Xmas gift for a friend so I’m chalking it up to R&D :dunno:

12 hours ago, Jbodnar said:

Your wife has wise words but this is one of the few instances where I feel like I am following directions :lol:

I left the link that's all I can do.

why not just make the branding irons brand it? 

Merry Christmas friend :)

When I paint anything I use fiebings leather sheen in the aerosol can to cover the paint before I do anything else. I had the same problem until I started doing this. I used this technique with my wallet and the paint stayed in place while antiquing and the final layer of tan coat. 

20231219_212928.jpg