DieselTech

1st oak leaf! How ugly is it?

Guys & gals here is my 1st tooled oak leaf. How bad did I do? 

Yeah there is mistakes & I got a lot of learning & practice to come. 

I found out I want a set of hand petal lifters, I do better with my homemade lifter. 

Thanks for looking.

php8zV4VVPM.jpg

phpQxuzcHPM.jpg

phpiVCVPvPM.jpg

Not bad for a first time. If I were to make a suggestion it would be to make your decorative cuts more flowing. Here are the same ones that I did for a checkbook so you can see what I'm referring to.

IMG_20211210_093733aaa.jpg

39 minutes ago, tsunkasapa said:

Not bad for a first time. If I were to make a suggestion it would be to make your decorative cuts more flowing. Here are the same ones that I did for a checkbook so you can see what I'm referring to.

IMG_20211210_093733aaa.jpg

Thanks. Yeah I got carried away with my decorative cuts. & yes mine are too straight & too many. 

I was wanting to try a leaf liner on it, but decided not to. 

Yours looks great, by the way. 

Yes I take suggestions, as a learning process so feel free. 

Thanks for the input. 

I like it. The random cuts seem to make it more realistic. Maybe refine your style but I don't see anything wrong with the oak leaves.

1 hour ago, Ddat said:

I like it. The random cuts seem to make it more realistic. Maybe refine your style but I don't see anything wrong with the oak leaves.

Thanks Ddat. Yeah I figure the only way to learn is to pick the tools up & start practicing. 

Lol I got a lot of finesse work to practice & I definitely cant draw. Lucky me for tracings & tap-offs. 

I'm slowly learning.

Thanks again for the encouragement. 

I can't draw all that great, either. I'll try to find my first terrible oak leaf and post it.

well, uhm... yah.

The worst thing you did to yourself here is ALL THAT BACKGROUND. It's a bit tough to keep an even surface with that large a background. It can be done, but often looks nice without going to all of that.

Consider just a light "accent" around the design, and leave the rest natural.

oak3.jpg

50 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

well, uhm... yah.

The worst thing you did to yourself here is ALL THAT BACKGROUND. It's a bit tough to keep an even surface with that large a background. It can be done, but often looks nice without going to all of that.

Consider just a light "accent" around the design, and leave the rest natural.

oak3.jpg

Thanks. I'll give that a try. I just got into leather carving & I'm learning. That was me wanting to play with my new stamp tools too. Lol like a fat kid in a candy store. 

I am a long ways away from being able to do something like that. Did you hand draw the pattern? Is there a way to get the acorns more round vs. pointed? That said, I like it, it's unique.

1 hour ago, DieselTech said:

Thanks. I'll give that a try. I just got into leather carving & I'm learning. That was me wanting to play with my new stamp tools too. Lol like a fat kid in a candy store. 

I used a tap off on mine, instead of drawing it.  I'm terrible at drawing or to OCD I guess. But yeah you could draw/cut your acorns any way you see pleased.