SUP

Rolling knife sharpeners - how useful are they?

I just saw a rolling knife sharpener on Amazon for the first time. I wonder how effective they are.

Has anyone here used one? 

If its the type I'm thinking of, they put the knife at a fixed angle which is not always the best angle for our leather working tools

For straight straight knives they work better than nothing but barely. No real way to use them on a round knife. If you are doing a kitchen knife that gets beat to hell by a spouse that has no concept of a cutting board or slicing action, probably OK. A good knife you hide from that person - use a few finer grits on progression and a strop, or just a strop.

Sorry all, was away for a few hours so could not answer your questions.

Will post a pic shortly.

@Mablung, I've not seen a jig to sharpen swivel knives, but I don't think this is it.

I mean this one. I believe it can hold the knife so that the blade can be sharpened at 15 degrees or 20 degrees.

@fredk   I think you are talking about the same one. I agree, Only 15 degrees or 20 degrees and the knife held at one particular angle will not be of much use for our leather working tools  but since I saw it for the first time today, I wondered if it has any use at all. Like @bruce johnson says, for straight blades used in kitchens, maybe. It would be a bit awkward to use too, I thought.

Good to know about anything new anyway. Thank you all.

rolling knife.jpg

Edited by SUP

6 hours ago, SUP said:

I just saw a rolling knife sharpener on Amazon for the first time. I wonder how effective they are.

Has anyone here used one? 

Well... many schools of though on knife sharpening. Rabbit hole as deep as night. :)

As for me.... freehand. Dry stone. Arkansas. Final strop on paper, leather or blue jeans (depending what's handy). Shaving sharp.

20240120_202825.jpg

Handmade - ground from a sawzall blade, cedar handles. I use it occasionally - sharpening it as above. Otherwise -- utility knives :)

20240120_203701.jpg

And that Tumbler looks like a sweet rig, I must say.

@NatesLeatherGds, No idea how it is. Maybe someone who has actually used one will talk about it here. :)

It looks to me like the sort of thing people will buy, because it looks neat, but will end up in a drawer with all the other unused things that looked great but were too much trouble.

@dikman, true dat!

On 1/20/2024 at 7:33 PM, NatesLeatherGds said:

As for me.... freehand. Dry stone. Arkansas. Final strop on paper, leather or blue jeans (depending what's handy). Shaving sharp.

Curious about using a dry Arkansas stone.  Is there an advantage over oiling the stone?  I thought the oil helps prevent clogging with debris.  Thanks for the info. 

49 minutes ago, dikman said:

It looks to me like the sort of thing people will buy, because it looks neat, but will end up in a drawer with all the other unused things that looked great but were too much trouble.

Here’s my experience with it. I had one sent to try. I’d let my wife use it on daily use knives but I wouldn’t use it personally on my good ones. It’s pretty simple to use and fairly fast. My biggest complaint is the single grit and the side to get the burr corrected straightens the bur like butchers steel, doesn’t really remove the bur. Ok for kitchen use,  not for finer durable edges. Worth the cost? Not for me and my needs. If I didnt have machines to do it and I sucked at any sharpening on stones then yes it works better than most “one size fits all” sharpeners. 

22 minutes ago, TomE said:

Curious about using a dry Arkansas stone.  Is there an advantage over oiling the stone?  I thought the oil helps prevent clogging with debris.  Thanks for the info. 

You’ll clog it up if you do that. Something other than oil can be used, but a very light oil is best. 

Thank you @bruce johnson . I wanted to hear from someone who has actually used it. I don't think I will be buying it anytime soon.

At this point, I am using ordinary whetstones in different grits and then the strop to sharpen my knives.. or the friendly neighbourhood cutler, who is knowledgeable and also has great knives for sale at reasonable prices. No leather knives though. Did get a great Damascus  chef's knife -  the blade remains sharp for so long; its months now and its not dulled even a little and that is all that I use.

Just ordered some diamond sharpening stones. Can't wait to try them.

3 hours ago, TomE said:

Well, there are different schools of though on this. In my personal case and use, dry has worked for shaving sharp. I unclog the stone(s) with water, just rinse and pat dry. I've read that the oil helps keep the stone lasting longer, but interferes with the sharpening (something about micro bits in the oil -- but I am not sure on the science). Again, in my personal use, dry works perfectly every time and my stone is over 10 years old. Oh -- for heavy refactoring I use a standard whetstone (home depot or wherever) also dry. Then finish on the Arkansas stones. YMMV. :)

15 minutes ago, NatesLeatherGds said:

Well, there are different schools of though on this. In my personal case and use, dry has worked for shaving sharp. I unclog the stone(s) with water, just rinse and pat dry. I've read that the oil helps keep the stone lasting longer, but interferes with the sharpening (something about micro bits in the oil -- but I am not sure on the science). Again, in my personal use, dry works perfectly every time and my stone is over 10 years old. Oh -- for heavy refactoring I use a standard whetstone (home depot or wherever) also dry. Then finish on the Arkansas stones. YMMV. :)

Thanks.  It will be fun to experiment with this.

3 hours ago, Mablung said:

You’ll clog it up if you do that. Something other than oil can be used, but a very light oil is best. 

OK, but now I've got to see for myself.  Can't help it. - a retired scientist

23 minutes ago, TomE said:

Thanks.  It will be fun to experiment with this.

Have fun! When you find yourself pulling out a loupe and other strong magnifiers, looking for a burr, you're well on the way. 

1 hour ago, TomE said:

Go for it, and please share your results. You may very well prove me wrong. I’m interested because I use Arkansas stones regularly, and cleaning them up and periodically washing them with soapy water starts to get a little old. 

You could try using detergent (and water) on the stone, I've seen it recommended for diamond stones. When it comes to sharpening methods you will probably find any answer/method you want, and most will probably work!

8 hours ago, Mablung said:

Go for it, and please share your results. You may very well prove me wrong. I’m interested because I use Arkansas stones regularly, and cleaning them up and periodically washing them with soapy water starts to get a little old. 

Yes, my current protocol is to use light mineral oil and clean with dish washing liquid and a nylon brush as needed.  Will try the dry run.

I use my stones dry, have for 50 years. I used to wash them periodically by hand, but now I just run them through the dishwasher. Don't let my wife know that.

My daughter bought a rolling sharpener for her kitchen knives.  They work ok for those, certainly better than nothing.  Quick and easy, which should give wise people a clue.  

Sharpening is a learned skill.  For leather workers it's an important skill to learn.  I'm still not all that great, but I'm better at hand sharpening than these things will do.