SUP

Is it possible to soften the temper of a piece of leather?

My question is more of "Is it possible..." rather than "How...?' I know it is possible to stiffen leather but can it be softened permanently?

I have a rather stiff split that I am thinking of using to make tool bags, IF I can soften it a little. I will only use small parts of the side. I will probably skive it too.

But I will do all that only if there is a chance I can soften it a bit.

I had thought skiving might soften it a bit but I read that thickness has nothing to do with temper.

Edited by SUP

Yes

But as you're not asking how I ain't telling  :P

@fredk, Could you please tell me how to soften stiff leather splits?  Pretty please? See? I'm asking so nicely! :)

Its very simple but time consuming; apply a little of your favourite conditioner and work the leather. I mean, bend it, fold it (not tight), roll it,  sit on it . . . .  and keep doing this until its as you require it 

Oh. Okay. I will try that. I'm in no hurry to soften that leather anyway. Thank you.:)

Don't forget the 'conditioner' 

One piece of VT  leather I was given was so stiff  it could double as a  card table . Too good to throw out, I made a handbag out of it.  I oiled it, bent it worked it  etc etc  . Then I carved a pattern onto it.  Although I had to belt the living daylights out of my tools,  I  Laced it etc.   Looked quite good once I finished. So, as  a bit of a joke , I put  it in our local country show. Blow me over, I got the 'Blue Ribbon' Best in Section'  :rofl: I sold it within a week, HA !!! :thumbsup:

So if that is possible....?? ;)

HS

Oh wow! @Handstitched  got a pic of that bag? 

That's called making a silk purse out of a sow's ear!

I oiled a piece of the leather and bent it and bashed it a bit - it was slightly softer this morning, so rolled it up and held it in place for a while with rubber bands. I will keep it aside for about half an hour and then bash it some more. Great for when I am in a bit of a temper. @chuck123wapati, where are you? Sorry no. Just joking. No offense intended Chuck.:)

Edited by SUP
Correction.

17 hours ago, SUP said:

got a pic of that bag?

Yep, took a while to find the  pic I took of it,   as was taken in 2006. But here it is. Its not very clear, but you'll get the idea  :)

HS

Hard as Leather Handbag.jpg

When I get done with a project . . . there will always be at least parts of it that need softened up a bit . . . 

Belts for example . . . get rolled over a dowel . . . and it usually only takes a couple of passes . . . the new owner always appreciates it being "pre" broken in.

Straps on my shoulder holsters are another that get the same treatment . . . 

And no . . . I don't use chemicals . . . if I do, it is only neatsfoot oil . . . and that is in very very limited quantities.

My holsters (pancakes) get the eyes worked over with a board I have that simulates an 1 1/2 belt . . . makes putting it on the first time and wearing it . . . make it feel more natural.

It's fairly easy done . . . and works for me

May God bless,

Dwight

@Handstitched, That is nice. I'm not surprised it sold fast.  I like that slight dip at the base. :)

@Dwight Good to know that not much conditioner is needed. I have use a little neatsfoot oil and some conditioner but to me, the neatsfoot oil has an unpleasant odor. Even the conditioner with its own fragrance cannot seem to mask it. But it will disappear. Meanwhile, I am whacking the leather often and bending and folding it and my husband is helping me with that too. It seems to be softening.