Sign in to follow this  
AWORKOFMARC

Zipper hangs... Why? Any way to salvage my project?

No idea why the zipper would turn South me,  but after getting one side of the internal dividers completely sewn together, in trying the zipper before moving to stitch the second side internal dividers, it hangs badly over one section requiring some yanks to get it past. Without the dividers in the zipper glided along quite smoothly, zero hang or resistance any where..  So Im fairly sure its the design and not my zipper...

I had zero instructions on how to assemble this pattern, so I went with what the lady at the Tandy store suggested for the pocket dividers leather's width (1mm)  plus watching sev. different YT videos.

Guessing 1 or 2 causes: That divider leather is too thick depth wise so when stacked (closed) causing the hang AND/OR the design itself is hinky. If it were me. I would'ave designed the internal dividers 1/4" inward on each side, so the vertical leather sides of the divider weren't flush against the inside of the zipper.  I have 2 options, completely cut stitches and remove the 1 center divider thereby making it 2 pockets instea d of 3(making a thinner depth) OR slice a 1/4 to 1/2" piece all the way out of the middle section, sew the 2 sides back together, (making thinner width overall horizontally of the divider section. Or both.

Any ideas?

Is the zipper hitting the corners of your dividers?

Try to put some items in there, cards, cash checkbook or whatever to puff it out some. Then try your zipper. 

Actually --what helped was finish stitching the other side --doing so managed to pull the internal dividers that way just enough to clear.

Sorry... for the freak out, it was my first zippered wallet and the thought of 'losing' all the prior assembling work had me panic'd

19 minutes ago, AWORKOFMARC said:

Actually --what helped was finish stitching the other side --doing so managed to pull the internal dividers that way just enough to clear.

Sorry... for the freak out, it was my first zippered wallet and the thought of 'losing' all the prior assembling work had me panic'd

Well good deal. Glad everything was ok. 

Yeah there is nothing worse than having to ditch a project or redo it. 

This is a bit of extra work, but since I'm pretty much a newbie,  anything that I hand stitch, I first roughly tack into place. Once I'm certain it all fits, I do my saddle-stitching. In the long run, saves me time. 

Edited by SUP

On 2/2/2024 at 8:58 AM, SUP said:

I first roughly tack into place. Once I'm certain it all fits, I do my saddle-stitching. In the long run, saves me time. 

The yellow is a color of thread I received in a set. I use the garish colors that I know I will never use, for tacking and cut off pieces as I go.

Tacked gusset.png