RawhideLeather

As A Leatherworker - Where In The US Would You Choose To Live?

Ireland. It is, hands down, . If I had to stay in-country, then probably Tennessee, the most beautiful place I've ever been in the US. Canada is nice and has some gorgeous places, but it's so krikey cold & damp; plus their fetish for Hockey. It just un-natural...

Brent

Richard,

Very interesting question. If you notice the responses most of us chose right were we currently live. You might consider that. The grass isn't always greener....etc. etc.

MARLON!! No state tax in Texas? How far is that from Hamilton, Ohio....in rigid motorcycle miles?

Dave Theobald

David,

Hamilton, being outside of Cincinnati, is about 900 miles @ 65 mph is nearly 14 hrs from Fort Worth. Now remember, you have to survive the trip through KY & TN-two beautiful States. OH has its own beauty also! I'm originally from IN, go figure that, but I like TX too. A lot of family history here from the Republic of TX and the TX Rangers.

Indy

Richard,

Very interesting question. If you notice the responses most of us chose right were we currently live. You might consider that. The grass isn't always greener....etc. etc.

Dave Theobald

The grass IS always greener on the other side. Fortunately I live on the other side

Ireland. It is, hands down, . If I had to stay in-country, then probably Tennessee, the most beautiful place I've ever been in the US. Canada is nice and has some gorgeous places, but it's so krikey cold & damp; plus their fetish for Hockey. It just un-natural...

Brent

You have no Idea how true that is right now from where i sit.

Edited by barra

Wow! Lots of replies already and some funny ones to boot! I guess I should have mentioned that all of my business is done online so local sales or city size isn't a concern really. Hey, keep 'em comin'!

I would love to live someplace where I can get everything I need locally, like leather, craft supplies, and even shipping boxes. Shipping boxes...? Most of my game boards are considered "oversized" by the shipping services. And the boxes I need to ship them in make a pretty big package, too, when I order them. Once they get to a certain size, then they have to be shipped to me by motor freight, and that adds about $13 to the cost of each box I buy. Kinda ridiculous, but that's how it goes. <_<

Kate

We, in Canada and the U.S., are blessed with the most beautiful of God's creation. We can choose from different states or provinces that have a variety of climates and terrain. We can enjoy the prairies/plains, temperate areas or coastal views.

If I could change anything, I would choose to be blessed without all the allergies and asthma that prevent me from living on a ranch or farm with some horses, dogs and other animals that remind me of how good the "outside the city" life can be.

Other than that, I've been blessed with the best a guy like me can have.

Count your blessings!

C79

how about the black hills of wyo. the taxes are low and not to far to a lot off places. Rapid city is about 90 miles sheridan is 150 , Billings mt 220 for mileage nice summers and a little now in the winter. lots of little town like Sundance wyo or Hulet wyo.

just a thought

Russell

I have to agree with Russell here, I have lived in New Mexico, Texas, Colorado, and Washington states and now that I am in Rapid City, SD I am finaly home. There is a healthy leather worker population but pleanty of room for more. It does get a little cold but it is dry so the leather don't mold. The people that I have met are all very friendly and you can actually talk to your neighbors, and get to know them. Schools are great. And best of all we are getting a Pro Hocky team this year!!!! lol

I'd take Canada in a minute. But don't they have rules or something to keep out the riff-raff? Most places in the pacific NW I like alot. Which is handy since that's where I'm at. I really like Wallowa county Oregon, North central Washington and even where I'm at now which is on the west side of the mountains. I don't really mind the rain so much either. Main problem: too many people.

I would second Fort Davis, TX. I used go camping for weeks at a time out there on my buddys land. Always said that's where I'll retire to. Nothing more frightning then watching a hugh storm roll in over the mountians knowing all you have is a two man tent sitting under a tree. Short drive to Marfa to watch the mysterious "lights" and cruise on down to Alpine for the Cowboy poetry/Westrn art show.

will i live in paradise so they say.. but when it comes to leather its hard to get supplies .and to learn any thing about working with leather..i just got back from Springfield Missouri ..got to see Springfield leather company.. and i think i'm ready to move only thing is i may have to move by my self :unsure:

Richard,

MARLON!! No state tax in Texas? How far is that from Hamilton, Ohio....in rigid motorcycle miles?

Dave Theobald

Dave,

Why ride to Texas when you can ride to Tennessee where they do not have any state income tax either.There are quite a few states that do not tax income.If my memory serves me well Oregon and Mass do not tax income either. Tenessee is a

great place to live , I am not just saying that cause my mother has 100 acres she

would sell you either.

WINDY

Richard,

Dave Theobald

David,

It's a lot closer to Tennessee or Florida for no state income tax......and my house IS for sale!

This is an interesting question and similar to the one my wife and I asked ourselves as we looked towards retirement: Where to retire. Being an Engineer I followed the engineering process of defining the "requirements" that would determine our decision. This included such things as cost of housing, cost of living, support for our hobbies (leather work for me, weaving for my wife, motorcycling and fishing) and most important was how close to grandkids, e.g. close enough to see them and they see us, but not close enough to become baby sitters. Once we did that we were able to do a benefit trade on the various locations we were looking at. In the end we bought lake front property (1 acre) on a 400 acre lake 60 miles southeast of Fargo North, Dakota near Fergus Falls, Minnesota. Good summers for outside activities and good winters for inside activities. Youngest grandkids are in the Twin Cities, 3 hours away.

You could do a similar process. The real trick is deciding on what requirements will drive your decision.

I live in GOD country they call it TEXAS THE

LAND OF THE COWBOYS & COWGRILS :red_bandana:

Arizona, yeahhhhh...Arizona rocks....horses, Navaho, cowboys

Cactus and lots of bikers....leather suppliers close by and good

Beer....ohh and have you seen the chick's in Arizona...?

Yeahhhhh, definitly Arizona.....;)

James

Richard,

I would check out San Luis Obispo California. I lived in Ventura Ca. for most of my life, moved to Hilo Hawaii for a couple years (did a little leather work there) and am now in Anthem Arizona for the last 3 years. Of the places I have lived I am looking at the central coast of Ca.

Life was limited in Hawaii, sure it was paradise but I could no longer earn enough money to stay full time. The summers in Phoenix are the pits, it never got below 99 degrees most days (and nights) this last Aug.

I still have family here but the drive from Ca. is 6 hours and if I need to see them I can do it. Far enough away to not be a drop off point to baby sit my sisters kids! They are fun but I like to have a choice!

My wife (I met her while in Hi. she is from the east coast) loves the Ca. coast. I have taken her on the couple trips and she loved the central coast. (San Luis Obispo, Morro Bay, and surrounding areas.)

There are lots of horses, tack/feed stores and I see a chance at some custom work and tack repair. I am working at building my leather business online so I can sell from anywhere and the local stuff would just be a boost.

So that is my vote, it is where we are looking and are spending some days vacationing there every chance we get to get to know the area better.

Rick

Edited by rickybobby

Hey Richard,

Take time to visit the real "LA". Lower Alabama, that is. Plenty of space, great weather, easygoing lifestyle (ask any redneck and they will agree), plenty of city life in most directions, great coastal area, suppliers all directions (other states, of course), and good old boys abound.

Wife and I have moved around and landed here by accident and soon found this a great place to park the car and stay awhile, now over 30 years. We have wanderlust at least once each year but never seem to be able to pull up and leave this place. So comfortable for these "old folks" that we will probably stay in the mix, learning how to be a good old redneck. What could be better than that? Stop in if ever in the Auburn/Opelika area. God Bless and enjoy the Christmas Season.

OK, I'm looking for realistic answers here, not something from a nice dream - though if it's good for a laugh then that's fine too. I am thinking hard about relocating and as a semi-retired leatherworker I can pretty much live anywhere I choose as long as the real estate is in the average price range. I'm leaning towards the Sheridan, Wy. area for obvious reasons. Purely out of curiosity, assuming you were in my shoes and as free as a bird, where would you choose and why?

Richard

Central Florida is horse country, Ocala has numerous ranches, not to mention the tracks in S. Fl. No SNOW!, sub-tropical climate. Just sayin'............

Hey Richard,

Take time to visit the real "LA". Lower Alabama, that is. Plenty of space, great weather, easygoing lifestyle (ask any redneck and they will agree), plenty of city life in most directions, great coastal area, suppliers all directions (other states, of course), and good old boys abound.

Wife and I have moved around and landed here by accident and soon found this a great place to park the car and stay awhile, now over 30 years. We have wanderlust at least once each year but never seem to be able to pull up and leave this place. So comfortable for these "old folks" that we will probably stay in the mix, learning how to be a good old redneck. What could be better than that? Stop in if ever in the Auburn/Opelika area. God Bless and enjoy the Christmas Season.

Hey y'all....born and raised in South Louisiana here and have been in Atlanta, GA for the past 11 years. Oh, I just want to point out to my Alabama neighbor that the real LA is Louisiana! Laissez les bon temps rouler!!!!! ;) We're thinking about moving to Colorado....probably outside Denver on some acreage or up to Ft. Collins. I can't wait to get out of this city. Oh, and one more thing......

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (just a little friendly competition....no offense)

CANADA.....!!!!!! OH CANADA.....!!!!!! :cowboy:

It's really funny, some Americans, God bless em all. Actually think the world ends at the US border.... hehehhahehehaheheheh :surrender:

yer aboot right eh !