DieselTech

Palosanto: A thing of beauty.

Guys & gals I decided to try a couple Palosanto bevelers out. I have only made 1 cut each with them & I must say these tools are exquisite! 

Cost after receiving them. Who cares! They are that nice. 

I already decided I'm ordering the rest to complete the set I want. 

Superbly Nice!

phpBNbJBLAM.jpg

I've never used them. Good to know you are pleased with what they do. Maybe one day I'll give them a try.

44 minutes ago, MarshalWill said:

I've never used them. Good to know you are pleased with what they do. Maybe one day I'll give them a try.

I've went thru a couple cheap bevelers from amazon before I learned a couple sharpening  techniques. 

I read a few reviews & watched some vids, & it seem like they all had a glowing review about them. 

I've been slowly trying to update my cheaper tools, since I've dived a bit deeper in the hobby. 

I'm really happy with the purchase. I highly recommend. 

Thanks. 

30 minutes ago, DieselTech said:

I've went thru a couple cheap bevelers from amazon before I learned a couple sharpening  techniques. 

I read a few reviews & watched some vids, & it seem like they all had a glowing review about them. 

I've been slowly trying to update my cheaper tools, since I've dived a bit deeper in the hobby. 

I'm really happy with the purchase. I highly recommend. 

Thanks. 

I've used beveling tools of other types but never these. I will definitely remember to not go to the cheap side if I get one. Thanks for the information.

Here is a "be careful" word of warning. Those Palosanto French edgers are very sharp (good thing), they can also very be very brittle (not always a good thing). I have had several through here, some bought sets and after the second or third broken one they decided to bail on the rest. Some sent me the broken ones to try to fix. I don't generally do that for most stuff I haven't sold.  A couple broken ones were dropped. Most tools survive a fall, but granted not all do no matter who made them. The most common way these broke was in use. They don't seem to readjust angles in mid stream all that well. The edges are thin enough they want to follow the plane they are in. A little mild prying action from trying to do a "scoop skive" or changing the angle because "Oh crap, I'm getting a little deep" and they can snap a chunk out of the blade. I have done that personally testing some as well. t I haven't tried the drop test because I believe they folks who sent the rest to me. Make friends with these tools. 

1 hour ago, bruce johnson said:

Here is a "be careful" word of warning. Those Palosanto French edgers are very sharp (good thing), they can also very be very brittle (not always a good thing). I have had several through here, some bought sets and after the second or third broken one they decided to bail on the rest. Some sent me the broken ones to try to fix. I don't generally do that for most stuff I haven't sold.  A couple broken ones were dropped. Most tools survive a fall, but granted not all do no matter who made them. The most common way these broke was in use. They don't seem to readjust angles in mid stream all that well. The edges are thin enough they want to follow the plane they are in. A little mild prying action from trying to do a "scoop skive" or changing the angle because "Oh crap, I'm getting a little deep" and they can snap a chunk out of the blade. I have done that personally testing some as well. t I haven't tried the drop test because I believe they folks who sent the rest to me. Make friends with these tools. 

Yeah I had a few guys say they broke some of the french skivers by dropping them. 

Boy do they cut nice thou, I did notice tonight that if you try to change angle mid skive these dont like it.

Thanks for the heads up on being careful with them. 

I figured it was time to start buying some nicer tools. I'm a diesel technician soo I already got a tool problem. Lol

The leather working is my second venture in life & I'm enjoying it. 

1 hour ago, MarshalWill said:

Much like getting your first Snap-On screwdriver, huh?

Yes it is! I remember getting my 1st set, then trading them up for the latest & greatest comfort grip. 

7 hours ago, bruce johnson said:

A Skirt Shave/French Edger breaking in use use is not a good thing at all so heed Bruces warning. All leather cutting tools should be respected but Skirt Shaves/French Edgers particularly so these have to be good and sharp well stropped before you use these, one that is not can at best ruin your work or at worse inflict a lot of damage to you so be careful when using this tool. Pretty is not always nice.

Hope this helps

JCUK 

6 hours ago, DieselTech said:

Yes it is! I remember getting my 1st set, then trading them up for the latest & greatest comfort grip. 

There's no substitute for quality tools. They allow you to do your best possible work. That's true for any undertaking. Leather tools seem to be particularly so.

Oh, yeah, I still have my first one. It's had a few tips replaced but I still have it.

Edited by MarshalWill

8 minutes ago, MarshalWill said:

There's no substitute for quality tools. They allow you to do your best possible work. That's true for any undertaking. Leather tools seem to be particularly so.

Oh, yeah, I still have my first one. It's had a few tips replaced but I still have it.

A friend is a mechanic, and while he seems to think SnapOn is a bit overpriced, he is a firm believer in getting good tools, from the tools of his trade to guns to watches and other gear.  The man can drop some money on a tool, but not until he's researched it to death and saved his money.

DieselTech, I'm starting to think I need to upgrade my edgers.  Those look awfully nice.  I do some of my edging with my round knife, if I only want to take off a very small portion of the corner for a short line and for some curves, but that's not as easy to do consistently.

8 hours ago, Mablung said:

A friend is a mechanic, and while he seems to think SnapOn is a bit overpriced, he is a firm believer in getting good tools, from the tools of his trade to guns to watches and other gear.  The man can drop some money on a tool, but not until he's researched it to death and saved his money.

DieselTech, I'm starting to think I need to upgrade my edgers.  Those look awfully nice.  I do some of my edging with my round knife, if I only want to take off a very small portion of the corner for a short line and for some curves, but that's not as easy to do consistently.

Yeah they are great edge bevelers. I got them for the thin italian leather I've been making wallets out of. 

I bought the french bevelers/wide mouth bevelers cause I was there buying tools & i thought why not. 

I'm going to order the rest of the edge bevelers for the set i want to complete. They are nice. 

Lol I've been too scared to run a head knife yet. Lol i be mad if i messed up my leather, not including my hands. 

Thanks. 

36 minutes ago, DieselTech said:

Lol I've been too scared to run a head knife yet. Lol i be mad if i messed up my leather, not including my hands.

Personally, I think the learning curve for using a head/round knife is a bit overstated. I’m glad I started with a 4.5” head knife before getting the 6.125” round knife I just purchased and sharpened, but it’s really not that bad. Just practice on scrap to get the feel of how the knife handles and its quirks, making basic cuts and skives. I fell in love with it pretty quickly. 

10 minutes ago, Mablung said:

Personally, I think the learning curve for using a head/round knife is a bit overstated. I’m glad I started with a 4.5” head knife before getting the 6.125” round knife I just purchased and sharpened, but it’s really not that bad. Just practice on scrap to get the feel of how the knife handles and its quirks, making basic cuts and skives. I fell in love with it pretty quickly. 

Yeah they say once you find the head knife you like & learn the techniques of using the knife. You will never go back to using any other type of knife. 

I think I'll get a half head knife or a real small head knife & learn it 1st. 

59 minutes ago, DieselTech said:

Yeah they say once you find the head knife you like & learn the techniques of using the knife. You will never go back to using any other type of knife. 

I think I'll get a half head knife or a real small head knife & learn it 1st. 

I still use my utility knife for some things, mainly trimming but I resharpen the blade and strop it, too. I’ve got a scalpel-style craft knife that also gets stropped that I use for some small, fine trim work and very tight spaces. Other than that, my round knife is my constant companion.

Thought of something else to add. When I was looking on eBay for my large Osborne round knife, I ran across a linoleum knife C.S. Osborne makes that looks remarkably like a French head knife with a draw cut feature. It was tempting to get one to experiment with. 

Edited by Mablung

1 hour ago, Mablung said:

I still use my utility knife for some things, mainly trimming but I resharpen the blade and strop it, too. I’ve got a scalpel-style craft knife that also gets stropped that I use for some small, fine trim work and very tight spaces. Other than that, my round knife is my constant companion.

Thought of something else to add. When I was looking on eBay for my large Osborne round knife, I ran across a linoleum knife C.S. Osborne makes that looks remarkably like a French head knife with a draw cut feature. It was tempting to get one to experiment with. 

Thanks. I've seen that french head style knife before & I do like the style of it. I think you can still buy that knife new. But I bet it isn't as good as a old one. 

On 2/15/2024 at 7:06 PM, DieselTech said:

Guys & gals I decided to try a couple Palosanto bevelers out. I have only made 1 cut each with them & I must say these tools are exquisite! 

Cost after receiving them. Who cares! They are that nice. 

I already decided I'm ordering the rest to complete the set I want. 

Superbly Nice!

phpBNbJBLAM.jpg

The two on the left I consider to be skivers not bevellers but then I don't work with thick leather. When using my bell skiver and there are any bits missed I find the French skiver to be excellent and quick for the clean up. With the side arms it's impossible to dig in as long as you're working on the flat.

4 minutes ago, toxo said:

The two on the left I consider to be skivers not bevellers but then I don't work with thick leather. When using my bell skiver and there are any bits missed I find the French skiver to be excellent and quick for the clean up. With the side arms it's impossible to dig in as long as you're working on the flat.

Yeah toxo I should have been more informative on my terms. I should have mentioned that 2 of them are french skivers or wide mouth skiver. 

Thanks I appreciate the tips. 

On 2/15/2024 at 2:06 PM, DieselTech said:

Very nice! Some day.... [sigh]