Rossr

Koken barber chair what leather to buy

Ok gang I have a project to put new leather on a koken barber chair from 1928.  And the headrest.  Odds are ill be doing the matching chair as well so I want to get leather so it matches.  This is in dark brown color and measures 2.5 ounce.  Can some one point me to what I need?  

Thanks Ross 

20240216_112511.jpg

20240216_113203.jpg

20240216_113208.jpg

Edited by Northmount
fixed title typo

On 2/16/2024 at 12:02 PM, ArkieNewbie said:

Looks nice wonder how pliable it is?  

Ive done some sleuthing and seems like a lot of barber chair restorations advertising using Italian leather not sure what that means.  I keep finding reference to upholstery leather .   Wondering if this is an example of such or proper leather for this kind of work.  https://leatherhidestore.com/chocolate-truffle-leather-hide-1.html

I have done some upholstery work so I know I can do this just know I need it pliable enough.  Appreciate the thoughts folks

Ross

Decades ago, when I started in the Dental Equipment repair business, there were still a lot of old dental chairs covered in leather, in older offices. The leather was fairly firm. Chromexcel is fantastic stuff, and is stretchier than many other leathers. Maybe too stretchy, I'm not sure, I've only used it for belts. Over the length of a belt, it can stretch a bit, not sure about a barber chair long term. Not likely though, that an old Koken chair will get used all day, every day like in "the olden days"!

In the old chairs, the upholstery isn't the only place they used leather. The seals in the hydraulics were leather cups, presoaked in oil before use. I could still get them new in the '70's!

Royal pain to replace though. 

ritterchair.jpg

7 minutes ago, alpha2 said:

Decades ago, when I started in the Dental Equipment repair business, there were still a lot of old dental chairs covered in leather, in older offices. The leather was fairly firm. Chromexcel is fantastic stuff, and is stretchier than many other leathers. Maybe too stretchy, I'm not sure, I've only used it for belts. Over the length of a belt, it can stretch a bit, not sure about a barber chair long term. Not likely though, that an old Koken chair will get used all day, every day like in "the olden days"!

In the old chairs, the upholstery isn't the only place they used leather. The seals in the hydraulics were leather cups, presoaked in oil before use. I could still get them new in the '70's!

Royal pain to replace though. 

ritterchair.jpg

Thanks for the info!   Actually this chair will get used 5 days a week. Its in a actual barber shop.  He has 2 Koken chairs from 1928.  So I want to make sure I source the best option from a wear stand point.   I think the leather on it is the original.  Which is amazing that it lasted that long.  The inside is springs covered with burlap and they also used what appears to be straw and felt for cushion .  Pretty neat imo.   Amazing leather was used for the Hydraulic seals too!

Anyway appreciate the thoughts!

Ross

1 hour ago, Rossr said:

Thanks for the info!   Actually this chair will get used 5 days a week. Its in a actual barber shop.  He has 2 Koken chairs from 1928.  So I want to make sure I source the best option from a wear stand point.   I think the leather on it is the original.  Which is amazing that it lasted that long.  The inside is springs covered with burlap and they also used what appears to be straw and felt for cushion .  Pretty neat imo.   Amazing leather was used for the Hydraulic seals too!

Anyway appreciate the thoughts!

Ross

Might look into some of this leather. Its soft &  a 3oz calfskin leather from italy. I would think some leather like this would be ideal. This is the pebble finished stuff, but they make it in a smooth calfskin as well

phpRJb7J7AM.jpg

php99X0tFAM.jpg

On 2/18/2024 at 8:00 AM, Rossr said:

Looks nice wonder how pliable it is?  

2/3oz CXL should be pretty pliable. 

Ok gang I ended up with upholstery leather very pliable.  And have it a shot.  Overall I'm happy with it but lots to learn.  Appreciate all the thoughts 

Ross

20240222_200633.jpg

20240222_200641.jpg

20240222_200757.jpg

20240222_200706.jpg

20240222_200654.jpg

That looks great!, Well done!