SUP

Has anyone attended Jim Linnell's classes at Tandy?

Sup, sometimes when tooling, I find there's a tool or two I don't have, but often I will have one that's similar enough it won't make a huge difference in the project. Check your tools and see if you could possibly use substitutes for some of them. 
Let's not forget, Al Stohlman made some of his tools out of nails and bits of steel,  so it's not so much having exactly the right tool as being skilled at using it.

Yes. That's true. While I cannot say I am skilled.. neither sufficient time nor practice at it,  I am in the process of trying to make my own stamps. I love to try everything. so... getting some large flat headed nails...  drills ... Let's see what I can come up with, if anything.:) 

13 hours ago, SUP said:

He is teaching how to refine skills, yes, which is precisely why I want to take those classes. I do know tooling and have done it, just not to a great extent.    While I have some 40-50 stamps and sufficient swivel knives, I do not have all those required for extensive tooling or all those in the list, . But I do want to learn more so I can decide whether it is something I want to invest in or do further. 

I am at least planning to go refine my swivel knife skills. 

If you don't have everything, maybe you could pick up a handful of pieces that seem most interesting/useful to you, to try and get the most out of the class.

also, there's a lot of similarities in the types of stamps.  Maybe if you don't have the exact stamp listed, but have a similar style/type, you could substitute it, to work on the technique, even if its not the exact stamp.    If you show up with "most" of the stuff, he "might" have a few extra tools, and he might let you borrower one.  I wouldn't bank on it, but if you get in the class, and they are working with a tool you don't have,  it doesn't hurt to ask, and say that a tool you haven't bought yet.  -just a few thoughts.

Ha! Just got an email from Tandy - I believe they are providing all the tools and she was mistaken. That's a relief, though I will be taking along my swivel knives because I am comfortable with them. 

Thank you all for your input, guidance and information.:) 

55 minutes ago, SUP said:

Ha! Just got an email from Tandy - I believe they are providing all the tools and she was mistaken. That's a relief, though I will be taking along my swivel knives because I am comfortable with them. 

Thank you all for your input, guidance and information.:) 

Well keep us posted how it went!

11 minutes ago, DieselTech said:

Well keep us posted how it went!

I will. Rather excited about it.

Oh, that's great news! Yes, keep us posted, and of course, we'll want PHOTOS!! :D 

@Sheilajeanne I'll certainly post photographs, :)

Some pics:

The first is a feather carved by Jim Linnell. He made it during the class and it was raffled. I won and got to take it home. I plan to frame it and aim to reach at least half-way to that expertise in carving some day. Mine is still not done. Might put it up once completed; cannot promise, though it's not too bad.  It looks a little like it's from a  bird has been through a storm versus Jim's which looks like it's from a calm and collected bird! :)

Feather by Jim Linnell.png

This is a turquoise pendant that I made in another class with Jim Linnell. I'm rather pleased with it. Everything from the 'silver' mount to the actual turquoise 'stone' itself are of leather.

My turquoise pendant.png

Edited by SUP

Nice. Just awesome. Cherish that feather. 

Great work on the pendant. It fooled me. 

@DieselTech I do cherish that feather.  I was delighted to receive it. Everyone wanted it which is why it was raffled. :)

The pendant was surprisingly easy to make. Next one I plan to make without the cracks. I like it better without but added them in class because I wanted to learn how to do it. Spent all day today typing the procedure with matching photographs. I prefer that to filming the class like some others did.

That's really neat.  Glad to hear the class went well. 

@Littlef thank you.

Lovely!

And your 'turquoise' concho is very realistic! :o  Well done!

Now, c'mon you know you have to show us YOUR feather, no matter how bad you think it is compared to the Master's!  :lol:

@Sheilajeanne Thank you. I plan to make another stone soon and will put that up as well. This is a lovely, easy  technique and Jim is such a pleasant person to learn from.

I will put up my feather as soon as I complete it.  :)  I plan to get to the feather later this week.

I'm busy trying to make a bag with a split with a clear brand on it. I was just thinking of starting a new thread about dyeing splits after applying Tokonole. On my sample pieces the leather does take the dye and it does not come off  with buffing. Wondered about other people's experience.

I have to reply to this thread. Have some of Jim's books, have never had the time or money to go to one of his classes.

Seems business for him was slow several years ago when his son was taking care of selling books. 
Think I may have bought more than one at that time. His written instruction is equal to his in person teaching.

BTW: When I sold the last of my stamps it was the last of over 300. Fortunately I bought many of them when serving in the Navy and didn't have a wife to look over my back.

Sure miss being able to stamp leather. Some things happen when you are ninety years young.

Anyone with the slightest possibility of attending one of those classes should bite the bullet and sign up.

@Ferg Yes. I'm so glad I did. I learnt so much. His online videos are good too.  The basic tooling one is free, which is nice. It allows you to get an idea and decide if it is what you want to do. 

90 years young is absolutely correct; it is matter of how one feels, isn't it, not chronological age. As I age, I accept changes which prevent me from doing some things that I did when younger but I'm happy to be alive. Many do not have that privilege.