SUP

Has anyone attended Jim Linnell's classes at Tandy?

I was planning to attend Jim Linnell's classes at Tandy next week-end but might drop the idea. Tandy insists that I bring all the tools -   tooling stone, mallet swivel knife, strop, stylus, modelling spoon, hair blade, wing dividers, petal lifter, basic floral carving stamps in medium to small sizes, figure carving bevelers of medium to small sizes, and background matting stamps. I am surprised because they normally provide all that during their own classes, so Tandy has the stock to provide to attendees.. I don't have all that and hoped to learn how to use them and then buy what I needed. Will not attend that class now. 

Is this how it always is for Jim Linnell's classes or anyone else's classes in Tandy? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Yes most of them classes want you to bring all your own tools. They usually will provide some tools if you show up empty handed. 

I would like to attend 1 of his tutorials to say I got to do it & learn some things. 

Don Gonzales puts on classes too that I want to attend. 

Some tools, yes but tooling stone? That's a bit much. I need to carry in a suitcase for the class. 

I would have thought, if Tandy provides the tools then attendees would learn and buy what they need after the class, like happens in their other classes. Here, we will buy things elsewhere and they will not get much sales. 

This becomes a case of getting all the tools even before knowing whether it is something one wants to invest in. The list of tools needed is quite detailed and substantial.

Edited by SUP

31 minutes ago, SUP said:

Some tools, yes but tooling stone? That's a bit much. I need to carry in a suitcase for the class. 

I would have thought, if Tandy provides the tools then attendees would learn and buy what they need after the class, like happens in their other classes. Here, we will buy things elsewhere and they will not get much sales. 

This becomes a case of getting all the tools even before knowing whether it is something one wants to invest in. The list of tools needed is quite detailed and substantial.

Yeah I have been buying tools now for a few years & still dont have all the ones I want. 

I reckon i got over a 100 different stamping/tooling tools. 

Yeah having to bring your marble is a bit much. 

If you just want a "taste" of Jim Linnell's classes, here is a link to SLC's class that he does.  This is for part one.  I think it has three.  You can watch, pause and watch more.

JM2C,  Jim(not Linnell)

@jrdunn I think the link did not get attached.

@DieselTech exactly! Those stones are so heavy! That list is cut and pasted from Tandy's email to me telling me what I need to take along. for the class. Puts me off completely.

I know Jim Linnell has his own site and classes I can buy for much less. And learn at home. Won't be the same but I won't need to carry along so much or buy so many instruments just to learn from him personally.

I suspect Tandy is not much pleased with him for some reason. Normally, in all Tandy's classes, they provide the tools. So this is surprising.

I have some stamps, not too may because I am not yet doing much tooling or stamping. But I do have loads of leather sides of all types and so many knives! Can never resist them although I have just 2 all time favorites. The rest look nice on my wall. Taken down periodically, cleaned, waxed and kept back... used rarely. LOL

We should have a thread of tools for leatherwork - tools actually, most frequently used and needed versus 'great brands' so newbies do not die of sticker shock like I did a year ago. 

I may be wrong about this one but most of these outside instructor classes at Tandy stores are during times the store is normally closed to avoid interruptions. The ones I've attended may have a store manager or employee present to "host" the event but may not be able to access the system to make sales. These are not necessarily "Tandy sanctioned classes" to specifically sell current Tandy tools. I have sold Jim discontinued Craftool stamps he has used for some of his classes. He has made some of these available for students to use or buy. I don't know what this class is or the specific tools recommended. As far as  bringing your own tools, yes that is pretty standard for most classes.  Bringing your stamping surface? yeah, pretty much a requirement at most leather classes. I'm at the Prescott leather show right now, and everybody taking a class is packing their stamping surface. Usually a square foot piece of marble or granite  with a black rubber punching surface glued on the backside. My wife took a class here Wednesday and has one like most people  - marble stamping surface and a black sole material back with a leather wrapped edge and handle.  Let's face it - stamping on an 1-1/2 marble on folding banquet table is not optimum, but the first project is not the end goal - learning the techniques to go home and apply them is.  

5 hours ago, DieselTech said:

Yes most of them classes want you to bring all your own tools. They usually will provide some tools if you show up empty handed. 

I would like to attend 1 of his tutorials to say I got to do it & learn some things. 

Don Gonzales puts on classes too that I want to attend. 

I am at the Prescott leather show and both of them are teaching here. If you want to knock two bucket list things at once, they will both probably be teaching at the Sheridan WY show in May. The class schedule should be out in the next couple weeks. Both of these shows are really fun and good classes, comraderie, world class leatherwork contest,  lots to see and a big trade show. 

15 minutes ago, bruce johnson said:

I am at the Prescott leather show and both of them are teaching here. If you want to knock two bucket list things at once, they will both probably be teaching at the Sheridan WY show in May. The class schedule should be out in the next couple weeks. Both of these shows are really fun and good classes, comraderie, world class leatherwork contest,  lots to see and a big trade show. 

Yeah its definitely on my bucket list of things to do. Just the funds are not there this year to do it. 

Just seeing & being at 1 them big shows would be a joy for me. 

36 minutes ago, SUP said:

I have some stamps, not too may because I am not yet doing much tooling or stamping. But I do have loads of leather sides of all types and so many knives! Can never resist them although I have just 2 all time favorites. The rest look nice on my wall. Taken down periodically, cleaned, waxed and kept back... used rarely. LOL

We should have a thread of tools for leatherwork - tools actually, most frequently used and needed versus 'great brands' so newbies do not die of sticker shock like I did a year ago. 

I wrote a series of articles for ShopTalk magazine about upgrading from basic tools - which tools and what order to do it in, and some recommendations without many if any specific maker recommendations. If you subscribe they may be able to hook you up with back issues or the on-line subscription might link to them. I can't copy it here because of copyright issues. I've had wonderful feedback from experienced makers and several "thank you's" from newer people  on that series. Sticker shock is kind of relative and I get that. People who know my background understand where I've been at times. It is all a progression and nobody has the same finances, expectation, or needs as any other leather maker.

I'm at a trade show right now. Barry King is here, Robert Beard is here, Clay Miller is here, Horse Shoe Brand Tools, David Mabe is here, Leather Wrangler is here, we are here...all selling new stamps, mauls, and swivel knives at different price points. Some are more expensive than others. I am set up and selling general tools plus new stamps from Wayne Jueschke, new stamps from Richard Brooks, older McMillen, Gore and CLT stamps, Don King stamps, and slew of Craftools. I've got stamps in a big price range. We sold over 200 Craftool stamps today at $5 each. I sold a few $185 flower centers, and a lot in between. I had a few people just want to hold a Don King stamp and look at it. They are all important to me and Rundi and I are just as happy for the customers who got their Craftools as we are the ones who got their Jueschkes and the ones who may buy a Don King before the show ends. Ive said it before but these are our people and this is our tribe. 

1 hour ago, SUP said:

@jrdunn I think the link did not get attached.

@DieselTech exactly! Those stones are so heavy! That list is cut and pasted from Tandy's email to me telling me what I need to take along. for the class. Puts me off completely.

I know Jim Linnell has his own site and classes I can buy for much less. And learn at home. Won't be the same but I won't need to carry along so much or buy so many instruments just to learn from him personally.

I suspect Tandy is not much pleased with him for some reason. Normally, in all Tandy's classes, they provide the tools. So this is surprising.

Yeah I have spent a stupid amount of money this year on stamping tools. But for sheridan style carving, I think a person could get away with just 7-9 tools. 

This is my very 1st floral carving & I think I only used like 5 or 6 tools. Yes I got a long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of this being my 1st.

phpvjbXQPPM.jpg

Edited by DieselTech
Forget my pic! Duh!

@SUP, You are sooo right!  I forgot the link.  Apologies.

@bruce johnson I will look into subscribing for ShopTalk. I would love to learn about what stamps are available and which would serve my purpose. Do you recall which issues have your articles?  Sticker shock is more because I dislike spending more than I need to. I have no issue with spending well for items  that I actually need and will use. And of course, tooling is finally a matter of tooler talent, something which I have to work on quite a bit yet. An artist can do great work with ordinary tools, a not-so-talented person cannot , even with the best or most expensive of tools. I would like to work to at least not be in the latter category, even if I do not get into the former one.:) And trade shows? Would love to go to them but in this atmosphere, I am a little reluctant to travel to unknown places in the mid-West. Safety is prime, especially in election year.

About the Jim Linnell classes at Tandy, they are during their open store hours on Friday, Saturday and Sunday and will be held in the same place where they have their regular classes, with their staff present. In fact, their staff expected to provide the tools until the manager 'enlightened' them. I can understand needing to take tools and stones to trade show classes. That is not a regular class venue held by the show organizers who also hold similar classes while providing all the tools. Anyway, I'll decide over the next few days. One of the classes does not have such a big list and I will probably attend at least that. It is being held locally and  how can I not grab the opportunity to learn from one of the best?

7 hours ago, DieselTech said:

Yeah I have spent a stupid amount of money this year on stamping tools. 

@DieselTech yes, that is what happens. Since for me leatherwork is a hobby, I am  reluctant to spend more than I need or to end up with boxes and boxes of tools that I will probably not much use.  Like my knife stock! I would like to try different things and then decide, which is what I was hoping for with these classes. Even if I decide to sell, I doubt it will be tooled items - more like well constructed items  like bags and footwear and sundry things. But I want to learn tooling as well. It is such a big part of leatherwork. And your first attempt is great; you are right to be proud of it. 

@jrdunn thank you for the link. I will watch it some time today.

16 hours ago, SUP said:

Tandy insists that I bring all the tools -   tooling stone, mallet swivel knife, strop, stylus, modelling spoon, hair blade, wing dividers, petal lifter, basic floral carving stamps in medium to small sizes, figure carving bevelers of medium to small sizes, and background matting stamps. I am surprised because they normally provide all that during their own classes, so Tandy has the stock to provide to attendees.. I don't have all that and hoped to learn how to use them and then buy what I needed. Will not attend that class now. 

I wouldn't mind doing a course but if I had to invest in that much equipment I would have to think long and hard. All the courses I have done in my previous life whether computer or engineering related all the materials were supplied as part of the course cost. My thought is that if they set up smaller classes and supplied everything at a little higher cost they would entice more people to attend hence more sales of their products.

kgg

Even when I took classes at Tandy, you were only expected to have the basic tools that they sold in their beginner's kit. They even provided the sponges for moistening your project! (Buying one of their kits was a prerequisite for getting the free classes.) One of the projects, a maple leaf, required a petal lifter. Our instructor provided that tool, though he only had one of them, and he kept a careful eye on it to make sure it didn't disappear!

I guess theft is a big concern for Tandy, especially with the more expensive tools, but who's going to steal a granite slab or a poundo board?

Recently, when I attended all the beginner's classes in Tandy, they provided everything. They have all that is asked for except for some of the specialized stamps and I would have understood if they had said we need to bring some of those. But the number and sizes requirements, including the basic items,  is ridiculous. 

If theft were a concern in my local Tandy, they would not provide all of those for their regular classes. I have been provided most everything except for the specialized stamps in earlier classes - not kit associated either.

I suspect this is the tools list provided by Jim Linnell and the manager is just passing it on instead of checking that she has those and letting attendees know which Tandy will provide and which to take to the class with them. 

@SUP so you got a knife problem huh? Or knife fetish I should say. 

Me too! Love my knives, & just not leather knives. 

Lmao you can never have enough knives. 

@DieselTech just the leatherwork ones - round knives, head knives... These days I refuse to look anywhere where there are knives. Strong self control needed. LOL

The thing is, all I really use in my leatherwork is a box cutter from Stanley, their cheapest, fixed blade  older model and one of two round knives, a vintage W Rose west Phila when  I need a smaller round knife and a Henckel when I need a larger one. The rest look beautiful on my wall and keep me busy every few weeks cleaning and re-waxing them. LOL I use them periodically for the fun of it but can manage fine  with just the regular 3. In fact, I guess I could manage with just the box cutter too. But that is no fun and for me, leatherwork is mainly fun and relaxation. 

Just now, SUP said:

@DieselTech just the leatherwork ones - round knives, head knives... These days I refuse to look anywhere where there are knives. Strong self control needed. LOL

The thing is, all I really use in my leatherwork is a box cutter from Stanley, their cheapest, fixed blade  older model and one of two round knives, a vintage W Rose west Phila when  I need a smaller round knife and a Henckel when I need a larger one. The rest look beautiful on my wall and keep me busy every few weeks cleaning and re-waxing them. LOL I use them periodically for the fun of it but can manage fine  with just the regular 3. In fact, I guess I could manage with just the box cutter too. But that is no fun and for me, leatherwork is mainly fun and relaxation. 

As the quip goes about men telling their wives how many guns they need: “Just one more.” Same applies to knives, lol. I have a whole variety of knives, leather and non-leather. One cannot have too many knives, even if only a few are carried regularly. 

LOL. It is 2024. In my case it is the wife collecting the knives. 

11 minutes ago, Mablung said:

As the quip goes about men telling their wives how many guns they need: “Just one more.” Same applies to knives, lol. I have a whole variety of knives, leather and non-leather. One cannot have too many knives, even if only a few are carried regularly. 

Lol I have that problem, with both. Which do i carry today!

33 minutes ago, DieselTech said:

Lol I have that problem, with both. Which do i carry today!

Exactly!  Though, people in my office would faint, if I walked in carrying some of my knives; they already look at me like I'm nuts, when I bring my regular pocket knives.

5 hours ago, Mablung said:

As the quip goes about men telling their wives how many guns they need: “Just one more.” Same applies to knives, lol. I have a whole variety of knives, leather and non-leather. One cannot have too many knives, even if only a few are carried regularly

I av so many firearms and knives now that when the wife asks, I just reply "Oh, that? I've had it for years."  :P

My impression is that Jim Linnell isn’t teaching a beginner class.  Tandy might provide tools for their classes, because they expect  beginners will need tools, and will buy tools.  Jim is teaching a class to help experienced leather workers refine their craft.  He’s there to teach and not peddle Tandy tools.  It’s hard to teach how to use a tool, if you don’t have the tool.  It would be a pain to lug the slab, but also Jim isn’t going to haul around 30 slabs of granite.  

there always books and  youtube if this particular class requisites don’t work for you.  Maybe at some point in the future you will build up the tool chest where having the requisite tools isn't overwhelming to buy at once.  They certainly add up fast. 

He is teaching how to refine skills, yes, which is precisely why I want to take those classes. I do know tooling and have done it, just not to a great extent.    While I have some 40-50 stamps and sufficient swivel knives, I do not have all those required for extensive tooling or all those in the list, . But I do want to learn more so I can decide whether it is something I want to invest in or do further. 

I am at least planning to go refine my swivel knife skills.