fredk

Restricting spammer buyers & sellers

On another forum people who want to buy, sell or trade items are restricted

They need a minimum of 100 posts and these posts have to contribute to the forum.  Postings in 'Chat' or Jokes don't add to their total. Although this has nearly eliminated those of nefarious nature we still get a few trying but as they are after a quick buck they aren't prepared to hang around and get their postings total up the 100 mark. The honest person can quickly get to that total and can buy / sell / trade

Another restriction we have is that it is recommended that paypal is used for payments, and not the 'friends & family' bit, as it gives the buyer a certain amount of protection. Other payment types that can be used are, with the buyer's risk, postal orders or checks - either personal or bank. Anything else is generally forbidden* and the moderator looking after the selling area will delete the sales listing if it asked for. No warning. Its written in the rules

*I have now reached a level where I'm allowed to accept payment by direct bank transfer

100 posts?   Wow

most forums I belong to is 20

altho I agree with you that jokes and such are not post. Who am I to tell someone what they view as important is not.  but I get your point    The post before you sell is there for the seller to get acquainted with members  I personally have a personal rule that I do not do business with newbies 

Mandating what can or can not be used as payment between 2 people is kinda crazy in my opinion.  Hear me out and see if you do not agree

Site says only PayPal can be used

Dude 1 and Dude 2 converse on the site then take it a phone call

Neither have PayPal so they use cash instead

the site made a rule,   It is a toothless rule that can not be inforced with out the mod being on a 3 way and monitoring the sale

I personally think un enforceable  rules are a waste of energy

I did learn reading your post I was unaware 

you are not protected using friends and family   This is something I am looking into   Thanks for the heads up as I exclusively use friends and family to keep from paying user fees to a site that is making money off of my money

Edited by Northmount
Fixed autocorrect toothpast should be toothless

Damn it.   I typed toothless rule and the site turned it into toithpaste

PLEASE. Give us an edit button. PLEASE!!!

Yes, its a 'toothless' rule but it hinders the nefarious seller. If they think that the buyer can claim back the payment. Ultimately its up to the buyer and seller to agree on how payment is made

But I did say it was 'recommended'

“  did say it was 'recommended'“

Yes you did !

17 hours ago, Frodo said:

I typed toothless rule and the site turned it into toithpaste

It's autocorrect on your device.  This forum doesn't do autocorrect, much as I'd like it to fix some comments.  :P

I really don't see the need for restricting persons by forcing them to write 100 posts before they are allowed to post about wanting to buy or sell something.

From the top of my head I think I have seen once or twice in the recent years someone trying to sell the leather tools from their deceased family members. Those people seem genuine to me as most of them clearly states that they would just prefer the stuff to go to someone who will appreciate it. Also if a person has had this hobby for years before deciding to sign up on this site, why shouldn't that person be allowed to post a genuine post about wanting to buy a sewing machine/splitter/headknife or whatever?

The same with the payment, I prefer to trade in cash, but that requires that I see the item in person. But to make a rule about it when you can't enforce it seems a bit of a waste to me. It is OK to suggest that people use this or that type of payment, but I'd leave it up to the buyer and seller.

A few people seem to join to sell cheap leather jackets and post it in the wrong sub fora's ,but to me it seems as the moderators are very efficient in weeding those out in a short time.

I am not a moderator, so I guess I don't see all the problems, but if there is a need for restricting selling/buying ads, I think that the payment part needs to be left up to the buyer / seller.

Brgds Jonas

I'm fairly new here and may not have a clear idea of how things are done. I can see the reasoning behind the 100 post requirement but I can also see the point made by @Mulesaw

On one forum I moderate there aren't those restrictions but there also isn't as much call to buy and sell things there. Perhaps the best solution is no post requirement and have a healthy warning at the top of the "Items For Sale" section. I may not have a clear picture of how things happen here so feel free to pick my post apart. I'll learn from that.

47 minutes ago, MarshalWill said:

I'm fairly new here and may not have a clear idea of how things are done. I can see the reasoning behind the 100 post requirement but I can also see the point made by @Mulesaw

On one forum I moderate there aren't those restrictions but there also isn't as much call to buy and sell things there. Perhaps the best solution is no post requirement and have a healthy warning at the top of the "Items For Sale" section. I may not have a clear picture of how things happen here so feel free to pick my post apart. I'll learn from that.

The marketplace is where items for sale should be posted.  It includes an area for business and estate sales.

See the marketplace rules here  https://leatherworker.net/forum/forum/70-announcements/

Businesses should buy banner ads.  The occasional sale of leather goods is fine.  routine higher volumes would be considered a business. The least they could do is become a contributing  member to help keep the lights on.

Thanks for the link. I had not seen those before so it helps to read them, which I did thanks to your post. Knowing they exist, I did find that the link to the rules are located right under the header for 'Items For Sale'. The rules are clear enough, but I had not seen that link before. I went to the marketplace with a different browser and they showed. In this browser and yet another, however, they only show in grey as a link, not very obvious.