toxo

Thread cone winder?

I'm sure we've all felt the annoyance when the bobbin runs out and we have to stop everything and cut the thread to rewind. I'm sure there must be some sort of winding system that creates a smaller cone so that we can fill a second bobbin whilst sewing? I almost feel silly asking because this is so needed I feel it must exist already and I don't know about it.

@toxo I experimented a bit using old thread rolls, and then I just start by winding some thread on it and use it afterward to "feed" the bobbin when it needs to be replenished.

Mainly I use the same colour and size of thread for 95% of the time, so in that case I just purchase an extra roll of thread so I can always wind a bobbin.

Gütermann has got some really nice thread rolls where you can lock the thread in one end to prevent it from unraveling on its own, So whenever I happen to have an empty one of those I keep it to rewind it with those odd colours that I sometimes use.

2 hours ago, toxo said:

I'm sure we've all felt the annoyance when the bobbin runs out and we have to stop everything and cut the thread to rewind.

I know of three ways of doing this.

i) Whether the machine has a bobbin winder built into the front side of the machine (Juki 1541S) or a belt drive winder (Juki LS 1341) what I do is install a bobbin on the winder, engage the bobbin winder and use a second spool to feed the bobbin. The bobbin will become wound and trip went full. Rinse and repeat as needed.

ii) There are a lot of external bobbin winders off places like Amazon cost $30 - $90.

iii) Then there are the cone winders for making smaller cones from a spool which are a lot more costly ($500).

kgg

Bobbin Winder.JPG

Cone winder.JPG

Edited by kgg

Firstly, I'm never gonna get through one cone of 3000ft/meters so I'm not gonna buy two but this is the way my mind is going. Just have to strip some off the main cone for bobbin winding. In the dark recesses of my mind I'm sure I remember seeing a hand winder somewhere, possibly from a hand sewing thing, maybe even for wool. I will investigate, I just thought I'd ask because it's a thing that's common to all of us and it can't be difficult to come up with a cheap hand operated doohickey that will do the job for cheap.

First trawl through Ebay, 

Knitting Yarn Fiber Thread Wool Winder Hand Operated Yarn winding Unit Protable | eBay

Just had another idea (will this brain never stop).

You could do this with a fixed spool fishing reel although not economical if you need lots.

Edited by toxo
Brainwave.

Pre wind some bobbins before you start sewing. There are external electric bobbin winders like kgg has linked above or you can DIY one. I have 3 electric DIY bobbin winders.

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/75580-diy-electric-bobbin-winder-singer-111-and-45k-type-bobbins/

or some other DIY ideas for spool winders or the like :

https://woolery.com/weaving/weaving-tools/bobbin-cone-winders.html

Edited by Constabulary

1 hour ago, toxo said:

Firstly, I'm never gonna get through one cone of 3000ft/meters so I'm not gonna buy two but this is the way my mind is going. Just have to strip some off the main cone for bobbin winding. In the dark recesses of my mind I'm sure I remember seeing a hand winder somewhere, possibly from a hand sewing thing, maybe even for wool. I will investigate, I just thought I'd ask because it's a thing that's common to all of us and it can't be difficult to come up with a cheap hand operated doohickey that will do the job for cheap.

I'm surprised you say you'd never buy two spools of thread... even if I only had one machine I'd want at least two spools.  I wind my bobbins off the machine, using a home-made winder and I just don't want to unthread a machine and then rethread after winding a bobbin.  And unless it's a color I rarely use, when I wind bobbins I always do half a dozen at a time.  But having two and a half industrial machines (my Sailrite LSZ is the half) I actually always buy at least 3 spools at a time.  And almost always the 1 lb spools.

Ya see! I knew I was behind the post on this one. Good stuff everybody.

@MtlBiker This is still mostly a hobby for me and I don't have room for the cones that I have. Of course I pre-wind one or two if I know they might be needed and if truth be told it's no big deal to cut/tie together and drag through when I do get caught out but it will be nice to have some smaller cones for when I do.

cones.jpg

9 hours ago, toxo said:

Ya see! I knew I was behind the post on this one. Good stuff everybody.

@MtlBiker This is still mostly a hobby for me and I don't have room for the cones that I have. Of course I pre-wind one or two if I know they might be needed and if truth be told it's no big deal to cut/tie together and drag through when I do get caught out but it will be nice to have some smaller cones for when I do.

It's just a hobby for me too, a passionate one mind you.  Are you really doing the cut/tie together thing?  For me, it would take just as long to do that as to actually thread the machine in the first place.  Easy-peasy.  The only time I ever do the cut/tie together routine is with my sergers, as I find threading those to be a real PITA!

Your work area looks just like mine, except yours is neater.  :)

44 minutes ago, MtlBiker said:

It's just a hobby for me too, a passionate one mind you.  Are you really doing the cut/tie together thing?  For me, it would take just as long to do that as to actually thread the machine in the first place.  Easy-peasy.  The only time I ever do the cut/tie together routine is with my sergers, as I find threading those to be a real PITA!

Your work area looks just like mine, except yours is neater.  :)

The longest part for me is finding the ends and tying them together. Pulling it through takes a second, literally except for threading the needle.

Re the work area, there's another sewing machine, a bell skiver, another work bench, rivet setter, hot foil machine, clicker press, two arbor presses, bench drill, two wheel polisher and a laser engraver. Now that I have the two machines working well I'm gonna have to make a tough decision about which one has to go to make room for the new one coming next month.

depending on the machine you ordered Id keep the one that has the most in common with the new one in terms of accessories, needle system, bobbins, feet.... know what I mean?

2 minutes ago, Constabulary said:

depending on the machine you ordered Id keep the one that has the most in common with the new one in terms of accessories, needle system, bobbins, feet.... know what I mean?

As you know Folker, I still have the Durkopp 239 flatbed and the Adler 69 Cylinder. I think the 69 has to go. It has the binder feed dog which I didn't realise when I bought it and the cost of accessories still smarts since I bought the binding kit for it. The new machine uses the 111 feet which I have lots of for the 239.

On the other side, it's coming with a decent flatbed attachment so the 239 could go and I still have all the feet etc. Decisions, decisions.