Stratton

Need Recommendations for Manual Clicker Press

I am new to leather crafting and am looking to buy my first manual clicker press.  Would love some guidance on the best ones and where to look.

Also, if you have a clicker press rec, then do you know what the maximum cutting board size it comes in?

Thanks for any help!

Edited by Stratton
typo

26 minutes ago, Stratton said:

some guidance on the best ones and where to look.

A couple of questions.

i) What is the largest item you are planning on cutting a pattern for??? The running length of the cutting edge on the die will determine the tonnage you will need.

ii) What is your budget???

kgg

Thanks for your response kgg.  I was hoping to get up to 16.5" x 27", however it seems most manual clickers are less than this.  So really just the largest I can get on a manual.

Budget is not an issue. 

7 hours ago, Stratton said:

Budget is not an issue. 

:) 

The cutting board isn't the limiting factor, the head size and leverage advantage is. Weaver makes an 8 ton manual clicker press. The head size is 12x15. 8 tons sounds like a lot - for big dies it isn't really. Good solid units. I have the 4 ton version and it is good for the rating, but you aren't going to do anything with a lot of edge length - coasters, cookie cutter size figures, spur strap dies is about it. I had an 8 ton  last year dropped off overnight for another guy to pickup here. I played a little and it was OK too. If you step over to a converted shop press, you can go up to 20 tons and make the head and bed what ever size you want. You just need to make sure the steel plates are strong enough. If you go that way then a air over hydraulic jack makes life pretty simple. Even with the 4 ton Weaver in my wife's shop, if she has many pieces she hops on out to my tool shop and uses the benchtop shop press conversion Weaver used to sell. Its got the air/hydraulic jack and easier for her. 

10 hours ago, Stratton said:

I was hoping to get up to 16.5" x 27", however it seems most manual clickers are less than this. 

With the size you specified you basically have two choices, dedicated hydraulic clicker press or converting a shop / bearing press. The hydraulic clicker presses are expensive while the shop / bearing press conversion can be done for about $500 USD for a 20 ton including the price of the shop / bearing press. I went the shop / bearing press conversion route. Here is the formulas I used when deciding on what size tonnage I would need.

Example of calculations:

Formula for 10 oz leather with a 3 in square die = 12 inch running length of die

F (pressing force needed) = S (shear strength of leather) (2900psi / 2) x L cutting (running) length of die X T (thickness) of leather in inches X Sf safety factor of 2

F = 1450 x 12 x 0.156 x 2 => 5428.8 pounds (pressing force)
5428.8 pounds = 2.42 Imperial tons or 2.7 US tons

One of my die plates will be just under 10" x 10" which will require somewhere near 9048 pounds or 4.1 imperial or 4.5 US tons to punch through.

@bruce johnson any chance of posting a couple of photo's of the weaver shop press conversion?

kgg

Thanks KGG and Bruce!  Very helpful

On 3/17/2024 at 9:36 PM, kgg said:

@bruce johnson any chance of posting a couple of photo's of the weaver shop press conversion?

kgg

Here it is, Sits on a workbench in the tool shop. Weaver used to sell this for around $400 with the plates ready to go. The original hydraulic jack was replaced with a 12 ton air/hydraulic jack before I got it. Works well. The bed is 9x15. 

DSCN4249.JPG

6 hours ago, bruce johnson said:

Weaver used to sell this for around $400 with the plates ready to go.

Thank you for sharing. Nice and compact.

kgg

If budget isn't an issue, BuckleGuy just came out with a new, floor mounted 12-ton manual press ($3300 plus freight)...they also have 4-ton bench mounted models for less https://www.buckleguy.com/clicker-press/ 

I bought my 4-ton elsewhere (same item and basic price as BG because they were out of stock at the time)...it's a handy thing to have for appropriate sized items that need cutting out (about 8.75"x11.75" work area)...also does well for stamp embossing or pushing smaller cutting dies thru leather as needed. I had no need (or room) for one of the larger floor mount models at this time.

thank you Bruce KGG and Chris - Very helpful and really appreciate it!

I have the biggest Vevor and it does work.. I do have to make sure all is level when doing a big die as it tends to be lower in the back than the front...  I wish had the mighty wonder or the BG one..

13 hours ago, ToddW said:

I have the biggest Vevor and it does work.. I do have to make sure all is level when doing a big die as it tends to be lower in the back than the front...  I wish had the mighty wonder or the BG one..

I considered one of the Vevor clicker presses - I had been using a modified 1-ton arbor press for clicking (mounted to the bench betwixt a widened plywood base using metal plates to "spread" the pressure load on the cutting pad over said base)...but it wasn't getting it done anymore.

My hesitation over the Vevor was pretty much as you stated: uneven pressure/results front to back when clicking out items. 

I just endured the 1-ton for a bit longer, saved up my cereal box tops and bought a 4-ton press...no regrets.

3 hours ago, Double Daddy said:

My hesitation over the Vevor was pretty much as you stated: uneven pressure/results front to back when clicking out items. 

@Stratton @Double Daddy

A swing away clicker press versus a the hydraulic shop press conversion:

Swing Away Clicker Press

1) Can provide a single downward stroke to allow the die to cut

2) Head swings out of the way to allow access to the clicker die and HDPE bed

3) Weight wise they range from 100 to 450 lbs

4) Can typically cost upwards to $3300 USD

5) Single Function of cutting or embossing

Hydraulic Shop Press Conversion

1) Weight wise they range from 100 -170 lbs

2) Typical cost for a basic conversion including the cost of the shop press would be about $500 USD for 12 ton capacity

3) Multi functional

Note the top presser plate on a Hydraulic Shop Press can be also have the swing away feature similar to the Swing Away Clicker Presses with the proper adapter.

For those who want a very basic clicker press on a budget I would suggest:

Considering a hydraulic shop / press setup. Using US sites the cost could be very reasonable and provide more tonnage then the typical manual clicker presses.

i) Hydraulic shop press floor model ---- $170 @ Harbor Freight or a benchtop model @ $234 from Amazon.com ( Torin ATY12001B Steel H-Shape )

ii) HDPE 1" X 12" X 12"                       ------- $25 @ US plastic

iii) 2 -Steel Plate 1/2" X 12" X 12"     ----- $242 @ Speedy Metals

Total ------------------------------------------------ $437 floor style or $501 benchtop style

Just my thoughts,

kgg

49 minutes ago, kgg said:

@Stratton @Double Daddy

A swing away clicker press versus a the hydraulic shop press conversion:

Swing Away Clicker Press

1) Can provide a single downward stroke to allow the die to cut

2) Head swings out of the way to allow access to the clicker die and HDPE bed

3) Weight wise they range from 100 to 450 lbs

4) Can typically cost upwards to $3300 USD

5) Single Function of cutting or embossing

Hydraulic Shop Press Conversion

1) Weight wise they range from 100 -170 lbs

2) Typical cost for a basic conversion including the cost of the shop press would be about $500 USD for 12 ton capacity

3) Multi functional

Note the top presser plate on a Hydraulic Shop Press can be also have the swing away feature similar to the Swing Away Clicker Presses with the proper adapter.

For those who want a very basic clicker press on a budget I would suggest:

Considering a hydraulic shop / press setup. Using US sites the cost could be very reasonable and provide more tonnage then the typical manual clicker presses.

i) Hydraulic shop press floor model ---- $170 @ Harbor Freight or a benchtop model @ $234 from Amazon.com ( Torin ATY12001B Steel H-Shape )

ii) HDPE 1" X 12" X 12"                       ------- $25 @ US plastic

iii) 2 -Steel Plate 1/2" X 12" X 12"     ----- $242 @ Speedy Metals

Total ------------------------------------------------ $437 floor style or $501 benchtop style

Just my thoughts,

kgg

Great info, thanks!  I will definitely look into Hydraulic press conversion option. Definitely a surprise to me that the price difference can be so big: $3,300 vs $500

19 hours ago, ToddW said:

Thanks Todd!  I just looked at the Vevor and have two beginner's questions:

1) How can the Weaver mighty wonder be SO MUCH MORE than the Vevor?  Is it because of the swivel head or because quality?  (or both?)

2) When you say "wish I had the mighty wonder or the BG one", am I correct in assuming that you feel the higher price is worth it?

Thanks, Stratton

Edited by Stratton
typo

1) How can the Weaver mighty wonder be SO MUCH MORE than the Vevor?  Is it because of the swivel head or because quality?  (or both?)

well the Vevor press is from Vevor which is a pretty high volume shop.  I was shocked that they could ship the thing for what they did as it is HEAVY (hard to lift by yourself) and comes in a wood crate.  because it is a 2 post clicker, it does limit you to what you can slide under the press.  I like the swivel head design a bit better for that reason.  cuttong keychains and wallet is a breeze but my laptop sleeves is a bit more challenging.  the 2 posts do pull forward if you REALLY pull down on it..

2) When you say "wish I had the mighty wonder or the BG one", am I correct in assuming that you feel the higher price is worth it?

I do like the mighty wonder and BG design better and do think its more substantial allowing it to handle bigger items.  I haven't broke down to buy one but am watching the used market for one.. 

Don't get me wrong the Vevor is working for me..  I am struggling with dishing out that kind of cash after buying a CO2 Laser (OMTECH), 3d Printer (Qidi), sewing machine (Cobra class 26), bell skiver (bought used) and a Splitter (Cobra)..  Also have a heat press for my logo, cap press for leather patches...etc..etc..etc.. thats after buying all the nice expensive hand tools (Sinabrooks, Polosanto)..  I outgrew the spare bedroom and build a 30x12 shop out back and still out of room..

I WISH I had the money and power in my shop for a small ATOM press but not in the cards.. I will end up getting the Mighty Wonder when some of my inventory starts clearing out..

Hope that helps!

Really helps Todd, thanks! 

1 hour ago, Stratton said:

Really helps Todd, thanks! 

no prob at all!  I love contributing anywhere I can..