DieselTech

#25 narrow needle plate & feed dog install/adjustment

Guys & gals I recently recieved a new cobra class 4. I would like to install the #25 needle plate & feed dog. 

What adjustments need to be made? Is there a actual # for the feed dog height above the needle plate? Videos I watched said a papers thickness above the needle plate is the proper feed dog height. 

Can somebody give me some pointers to make sure everything is ok & I'm not going to break something. 

Thanks.

13 minutes ago, DieselTech said:

What adjustments need to be made? Is there a actual # for the feed dog height above the needle plate?

I would suggest checking the engineering manuals that came with your machine. If none were supplied I would suggest 1) call Leather Machine Co. 2) refer to the Juki TSC-441 Engineering manuals or call the supplier of the needle plate  / feed dog.

kgg

5 minutes ago, kgg said:

I would suggest checking the engineering manuals that came with your machine. If none were supplied I would suggest 1) call Leather Machine Co. 2) refer to the Juki TSC-441 Engineering manuals or call the supplier of the needle plate  / feed dog.

kgg

Yeah I set the #25 needle plate & feed dog up using a leather machine co. procedure for the cobra class 4 for the standard needle plate & feed dog.

I just did not know since i was using a aftermarket needle plate & feed dog if there were other/more critical adjustments not mentioned or showed. 

@DieselTech

I have the aftermarket set from @RockyAussieinstalled in my Cowboy CB4500. I set the feed dog so it just rises above the level of the throat plate; enough to assist the feed. I use this set with any needle size from #20 through #25. I'm not a fan of setting the feed dog so high that it pushes the leather up noticeable.

That said, I have set my feed dog so it rises just level with the top of the throat plate. There is no bottom assist using this configuration. But, it has its place. It prevents the work from getting pushed down into the large cutout for the dog.

1 hour ago, Wizcrafts said:

@DieselTech

I have the aftermarket set from @RockyAussieinstalled in my Cowboy CB4500. I set the feed dog so it just rises above the level of the throat plate; enough to assist the feed. I use this set with any needle size from #20 through #25. I'm not a fan of setting the feed dog so high that it pushes the leather up noticeable.

That said, I have set my feed dog so it rises just level with the top of the throat plate. There is no bottom assist using this configuration. But, it has its place. It prevents the work from getting pushed down into the large cutout for the dog.

Thanks @Wizcrafts . I changed to @Patrick1 #25 needle plate & feed dog. I also changed the presser feet to the narrow foot & left presser foot. 

Should my presser foot be off of the needle plate? Here is a pic. Is there another adjustment I need to make? 

Thanks. Any & all help will be appreciated. 

phpGsBnixAM.jpg

This is how it is sewing with that left presser foot not touching the needle plate. Here is a couple pics. 

The side with the makers mark is the feed dog needle plate side. 

Might need to lower my feed dog a touch more & back foot pressure off some. 

What's your guys thoughts?

php6nBY2mPM.jpg

phpmMBSa7PM.jpg

The presser foot/feet should not contact the feed dog at all. it/they must make firm contact with the throat plate whenever the inside foot is up, during the sewing cycle. The only time the outer foot should lift is when the inside foot goes all the way down and begins to move the work. It the presser foot is not touching the throat plate, and the feed dog isn't keeping it lifted, you have to loosen the (two) screw(s) that hold the presser bar in place and lower the bar until it touches the throat plate. Make sure it faces true forward (not tilted), then lock it back down.

1 hour ago, Wizcrafts said:

The presser foot/feet should not contact the feed dog at all. it/they must make firm contact with the throat plate whenever the inside foot is up, during the sewing cycle. The only time the outer foot should lift is when the inside foot goes all the way down and begins to move the work. It the presser foot is not touching the throat plate, and the feed dog isn't keeping it lifted, you have to loosen the (two) screw(s) that hold the presser bar in place and lower the bar until it touches the throat plate. Make sure it faces true forward (not tilted), then lock it back down.

Ok thanks. I appreciate your help. I watched 1 of your old vids on the inline presser feetfor the CB4500, or at least I think it was your video. 

I'll try & find a video on them adjustments. So the foot with the hole should never touch the feed dog & then the left presser foot should touch the needle plate, when the center foot is up. 

Thanks. 

12 hours ago, DieselTech said:

So the foot with the hole should never touch the feed dog & then the left presser foot should touch the needle plate, when the center foot is up.

@DieselTech

Your statement, which I bolded, is incorrect! The inside "alternating/vibrating" foot, which has a hole for the needle to pass through, MUST hit the feed dog! When it makes contact, it causes the outside "presser" foot to lift up. As the presser foot is lifting, the alternating inside foot, needle and feed dog all move in sync to transport your material. This is due to the manner in which those two feet are interconnected by crankshafts and transfer cranks. When one goes down, the other goes up.

That said, you can change the amount of lift and when it begins to happen. However, assuming that your machine was already setup when you got it, this shouldn't be dinked with unless you changed the settings yourself. I know from personal experience that Cobra, Cowboy and Techsew 441 clones are shipped from the dealers already adjusted and ready to go to work, if you bought them directly from those dealers. If you bought your machine from a middleman, they would be responsible for making any adjustments that were needed to have the machine ready to sew.

So, if you purchased your Cobra directly from Leather Machine Company, you are entitled to free assistance from them. Otherwise, you can contact whomever resold it to you to ask what changes they made to the machine's setup.

16 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

@DieselTech

Your statement, which I bolded, is incorrect! The inside "alternating/vibrating" foot, which has a hole for the needle to pass through, MUST hit the feed dog! When it makes contact, it causes the outside "presser" foot to lift up. As the presser foot is lifting, the alternating inside foot, needle and feed dog all move in sync to transport your material. This is due to the manner in which those two feet are interconnected by crankshafts and transfer cranks. When one goes down, the other goes up.

That said, you can change the amount of lift and when it begins to happen. However, assuming that your machine was already setup when you got it, this shouldn't be dinked with unless you changed the settings yourself. I know from personal experience that Cobra, Cowboy and Techsew 441 clones are shipped from the dealers already adjusted and ready to go to work, if you bought them directly from those dealers. If you bought your machine from a middleman, they would be responsible for making any adjustments that were needed to have the machine ready to sew.

So, if you purchased your Cobra directly from Leather Machine Company, you are entitled to free assistance from them. Otherwise, you can contact whomever resold it to you to ask what changes they made to the machine's setup.

Sorry Wizcrafts by my bad nomenclature. I still need to learn what all these parts are actually called. 

That way there is no confusion on any bodies part. 

Yes my cobra is working great & I found out what my issue was & fixed it. 

Thanks again for the help.