BliksemDonder

Who to purchase CB 4500 / Cobra Class 4 / Techsew 5100 from?

Good evening,

Choosing the machine class/type was tough enough, now who to purchase from? I'm looking at the combos the suppliers put together and would like the needle position system, aluminum flatbed attachment, drop-down sewing guide. I'm rambling....

The websites are not clear about availability, shipping costs, etc. I guess I need to work my phone tomorrow and get more information. I hate surprises that can significantly add to the sticker price and/or lead time...

Any feedback, experiences, opinions, etc are most welcome. BTW, I am open to a road trip to pick up the machine if there would be some product training available.

Carl

33 minutes ago, BliksemDonder said:

Good evening,

Choosing the machine class/type was tough enough, now who to purchase from? I'm looking at the combos the suppliers put together and would like the needle position system, aluminum flatbed attachment, drop-down sewing guide. I'm rambling....

The websites are not clear about availability, shipping costs, etc. I guess I need to work my phone tomorrow and get more information. I hate surprises that can significantly add to the sticker price and/or lead time...

Any feedback, experiences, opinions, etc are most welcome. BTW, I am open to a road trip to pick up the machine if there would be some product training available.

Carl

I called Cowboy & Cobra, but not Techsew. Residential shipping from Cowboy was $200 higher than Cobra's residential shipping. 

I ended up with cobra class 4 because of the shipping cost. 

I bought the Cobra over the Cowboy because I could pick it up a couple of hours away to avoid shipping costs.

12 minutes ago, BlackDragon said:

I bought the Cobra over the Cowboy because I could pick it up a couple of hours away to avoid shipping costs.

Yeah I paid to have my cobra shipped to my front door. Lmao I dont have a truck, so I was limited on what I could do. It would have taken my forever to go to the shipping hub on my tractor. 

I paid for home delivery,  not cheap. Call Makersleathersupply.com. they're in Elm Mott Texas. Maybe pick up there?

1 hour ago, Hags said:

I paid for home delivery,  not cheap. Call Makersleathersupply.com. they're in Elm Mott Texas. Maybe pick up there?

According to their website machines are not stock items and are drop-shipped with freight charges. I'll call them and confirm though. If you don't mind, how much was the home delivery?

I paid $396 dollars for shipping to my front door from Cobra/leather machine co.

Shipping rates have exploded in the last 3 years. The farther the box travels, the higher the cost. Also, it costs extra to have it lowered off a lift gate truck than a semi trailer (onto a dock). I would call the dealers listed in ads on top of our pages and as for the best rate to your address and gate option.

I seem to remember about $400. Had to have a drop gate truck.

10 hours ago, DieselTech said:

Yeah I paid to have my cobra shipped to my front door. Lmao I dont have a truck, so I was limited on what I could do. It would have taken my forever to go to the shipping hub on my tractor. 

The closest dealer was ZackWhite so I figured it was a good excuse to go to a local leather supplier to save $400 in shipping just to spend it buying more supplies while I was there. Whether I needed it or not. Lol

Another delivery option is to have it shipped just to your local truck depot, thats what I did with my CB4500.  Not sure how much I saved but I just went out on my lunch and they put it in the back of my pickup.  It was on a pallet, and when I got home I took it off the pallet piece by piece which is the same I would have done with home delivery.

13 hours ago, Hags said:

Guessing you dont realize how big Texas is :) . If hes in the Valley, hes still a good 6-7hr drive each way from Elm Mott. Gas cost would probably be as much or more than the $400 delivery

2 hours ago, Hildebrand said:

Another delivery option is to have it shipped just to your local truck depot, thats what I did with my CB4500.  Not sure how much I saved but I just went out on my lunch and they put it in the back of my pickup.  It was on a pallet, and when I got home I took it off the pallet piece by piece which is the same I would have done with home delivery.

I have done that with several machines - lathes, mills, etc and it save bucks and time. Lift gate added another $100-150. they did lift gate deliveries by areas and waited until they had enough to make a run worthwhile. It could have sat for 7-10 days at the terminal. I’ve got a Harbor Freight scissor lift cart and that makes unloading even heavy stuff a one man job. 

Thank you to all that responded to this thread. I called the 3 major suppliers and lets just say that my sewing machine purchase will be brown. Shipping to anywhere in Texas is just under $400, which considering where I am located, not bad at all.

just bought one from Zamir sewing in Los Angeles. shipping included in price. no surprises. got my Consew 206 from him many moon ago.