EoinK

Simultaneous Stamping and Forming?

Hi Everyone.

Total newbie to leather working here.

I'm making some dog leads with leather stitched around the handle. I'm trying to stamp the dog's name into the leather before I form it around the handle but as I soak, stretch and stitch the leather the stamped letters disappear. I haven't tried stamping after stitching, I think the leather is too curved then for it to work.

Has anyone got any suggestions for a process that would allow me to finish up with letters stamped nicely into my handle?

Thanks

Screenshot_20240407-091347~2.png

Well, fact is, wet leather stretches, so any bending while it is really wet will likely deform.
With the understanding that I have never actually tried this, but have stamped leather for about 15 years or so and I can suggest a couple of things to try.
I am not sure if you are trying to form it around the rope as you stitch or not, but I'd suggest you not do so.
I would do my stamping and then let the leather dry thoroughly. Then use a dowel rod just a tad large in diameter than the rope and use that as a form.
LIGHTLY mist the back side and let it sit for a minute or 3.
Then do your forming and sewing. Let it all dry before you thread the rope through the handle and then curve it. Again, if you have a problem curving it, you may have to to the light misting on it again.
Remember, this is just ideas based on straps that I've have to curve from time to time, so it may not work.
But, it can't hurt to tray.
And maybe someone who has actually done this before will chime in and help you out.

Intriguing idea. If you want to be able to do it on a regular basis I would suggest making a mold the diameter of the rope in the shape of handle then using a series of clamps around the outer edge let it go until nearly dry. Then remove it and lay flat to stamp where you want the name. Next trim the surplus and do your stitching or do a simpler stitch and remove the excess after.

get rid of the rope , it looks cheap, use good leather make a flat strap lead and all your problems go away. plus it looks like a quality product.

I made this last night

Wet formed after. Stamping 

The image needed touching up with my stylist   
it can be done. Just take your time 

In this.  I am not happy about the stamp edge marks that is caused by a heavy hand  

image.thumb.jpg.817696cddc0612e83d93f9a8279d115b.jpg

Wet the backside of the leather and leave the stamped side dry 

remember.  In order to stamp. You wet, then let dry (almost)

to form. Re wet the back side

or you could try pyrography.

I've also made flat leads from that type of rope by pulling out the core and running a zigzag stitch down them to make them stay flat. if you went this route then stamping and applying a flat leather handle would be easy also. I just don't see an easy answer to this question on a round handle that tight. 

Good luck!! 

Brand it

Yes Branding or laser engrave might work better.:yes:

2 hours ago, Frodo said:

Brand it

21 minutes ago, Bert03241 said:

Yes Branding or laser engrave might work better.:yes:

lol that's pyrography for you it has many names and many ways to do it.

Why you using them big ole collegedgrmacated words for?

You know we  ain't never for seen that?  

On 4/9/2024 at 9:04 AM, Frodo said:

not happy about the stamp edge marks

I most times carve my letters now days atleast 3/4 inch and up I do. I still use my smaller letter stamps. What I did to fix getting that straight edge around letters from the stamp edge was very slightly rounded the edges over with a fine grit metal file. Just enough to get rid of that hard edge. Hope this helps. As for the op question about names on the dog lead he posted I would try like Chuck said and make the handle have a flatter face for putting names on. Without burning or lasering I doubt you'll ever tool in letters and get them to stay or look nice on such a small rounded surface.