DieselTech

Waxed canvas & cobra class 4

Guys & gals I need the help of all you professionals out there in regards of sewing waxed canvas on the cobra class 4. 

I had a ma & pa shop call on making some Wrench rolls out of 18-22oz waxed canvas. These rolls will hold wrenches from a 1/4" to 1¼". They want 10 of these wrench rolls made at 1st.

So my question is: Is there any possibility I can sew this heavy weight waxed canvas with my new acquired cobra class 4 sewing machine? 

What would be needed to do this? Should I purchase the #20 extreme narrow needle plate & feed dog from HE&P? This is the only 1 I ain't got. 

What about thread & needles? I'm thinking a size #20 "S" point needle & bonded polyester #92 thread. 

So would this be achievable to accomplish? 

Thanks. Any & all help would be greatly appreciated. 

Actually I'm a newbie & didnt think my question thru. I am probably going to need the blanket feet & the serrated feed dog & needle plate. 

Is the cobra brand blanket feet & feed dog sufficient? Or do I need to purchase something from another manufacturer? 

I think canvas would be doable on a cobra class 4 after numerous adjustments on the sewing machine of course. 

Thanks. 

42 minutes ago, DieselTech said:

Actually I'm a newbie & didnt think my question thru. I am probably going to need the blanket feet & the serrated feed dog & needle plate. 

Is the cobra brand blanket feet & feed dog sufficient? Or do I need to purchase something from another manufacturer? 

I think canvas would be doable on a cobra class 4 after numerous adjustments on the sewing machine of course. 

Thanks. 

The blanket foot set includes the original 3/8 inch wide feed dog. The canvas will probably get pushed into it by the inside foot. The job is better sewn on a standard walking foot machine.

That fact aside, I did write a blog article a few years ago about dumbing down a Cobra Class 4 to sew thin work with thin thread. It might help you, especially if you end up having to use the wide feeder and feet.

No matter what feed dog and throat plate you install, I recommend only using a round point 7x3 needle for canvas. A Schmetz S point will slice the fibers and weaken the seams.

59 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

The blanket foot set includes the original 3/8 inch wide feed dog. The canvas will probably get pushed into it by the inside foot. The job is better sewn on a standard walking foot machine.

That fact aside, I did write a blog article a few years ago about dumbing down a Cobra Class 4 to sew thin work with thin thread. It might help you, especially if you end up having to use the wide feeder and feet.

No matter what feed dog and throat plate you install, I recommend only using a round point 7x3 needle for canvas. A Schmetz S point will slice the fibers and weaken the seams.

Thanks. @Wizcrafts do them 7×3 round point needles have a letter classification like the D, S, & LR type needles? 

Thanks. For the link to dumbing down a 441 class machine. 

3 hours ago, DieselTech said:

What would be needed to do this?

I would suggest it would be easier to do on a flatbed like @Wizcrafts noted. I use my Juki 118n for 20 oz canvas. I would also suggest using V138 rather then V92 also the hole that the needle of your 441 makes maybe is going to be more noticeable then that of 135x 17 needle.

kgg

1 minute ago, kgg said:

I would suggest it would be easier to do on a flatbed like @Wizcrafts noted. I use my Juki 118n for 20 oz canvas. I would also suggest using V138 rather then V92 also the hole that the needle of your 441 makes maybe is going to be more noticeable then that of 135x 17 needle.

kgg

Kgg I want the consew 206 rb-5 for this type work. I just cant swing it financially right now. I was hoping maybe i could get by doing this small project. 

If nothing else I can chalk this up to a learning experience. 

Thanks. I appreciate it. 

1 hour ago, DieselTech said:

If nothing else I can chalk this up to a learning experience. 

I haven't tried this myself but maybe an old fashion Singer 15 might be able to sew the wrench rolls if you use V92 and a basic sewing design. They can be had for very cheap might be worth a try.

kgg

30 minutes ago, kgg said:

I haven't tried this myself but maybe an old fashion Singer 15 might be able to sew the wrench rolls if you use V92 and a basic sewing design. They can be had for very cheap might be worth a try.

kgg

Thanks. I have been keeping my eyes open for a used machine. 

Do you think these are the round point needles I need or that @Wizcrafts mentioned? 

I also found some ballpoint needles, but not sure where they would be used. 

Thanks. 

phpE5Rs6UAM.jpg

Best thing to do is to try it on a scrap piece of canvas. I sewed some plain canvas (a painter's drop sheet) using a round point needle and #138 thread (I couldn't get smaller needles) and the narrow needle plate on my 4500 and it worked fine. The key was having the narrow needle plate and feed dog. I just used the single sided foot, but experiment with what you have.

35 minutes ago, dikman said:

Best thing to do is to try it on a scrap piece of canvas. I sewed some plain canvas (a painter's drop sheet) using a round point needle and #138 thread (I couldn't get smaller needles) and the narrow needle plate on my 4500 and it worked fine. The key was having the narrow needle plate and feed dog. I just used the single sided foot, but experiment with what you have.

Thanks I'm glad to hear some more input/info on this subject. So did you use the #23 narrow plate & feed dog? 

Thanks. 

It was the one from RockyAussie, I just use it for everything.:)