SteveOz

Small metal folding tabs for open end watch straps

Hello there,

I'm on the hunt for these small folding metal clips/ tabs used in old open end watch straps. They're made from soft metal and can be bent with a fingernail.

If anyone knows where to find them, please let me know.

Kind regards,

SteveOz

metal tab for watch straps reduced.jpg

watch strap clips 1 reduced.jpg

@SteveOz  well?

@Wepster Thanks for all of those links Mate. But, they're not the same thing.

Just search a bit deeper & they sell/make exactly what you are looking for. I think the ones you posted are flat, versus the raised ones like wepster posted. Plus they are made in many different sizes/dimensions.

Edited by DieselTech

How about cutting up a tin of beans?

@DieselTech Thanks Mate.

@toxo Thanks Mate. I might laser cut some. I was just hoping to find an 'off the shelf' answer.

The ones you have shown @SteveOz are the same items as those suggested by others here. The manufacturer might be different. . You could check  different sellers until you get the exact shape and size that you need. You know what it is called, so that will help. Most leather stores have them in some form.

Edited by SUP

On 4/12/2024 at 8:11 AM, SteveOz said:

Hello there,

I'm on the hunt for these small folding metal clips/ tabs used in old open end watch straps. They're made from soft metal and can be bent with a fingernail.

If anyone knows where to find them, please let me know.

Kind regards,

SteveOz

Don't know if they'll post to Oz but I'd be surprised if this place doesn't have them. I was blown away when I went there at the range of stuff they do.

Bag Fastenings/Fixtures - London Trimmings

@AlZilla Hey Buddy, thanks for the link there. The clips (2.) I'm after can be folded and unfolded with a finger nail. They're for watches that don't have removeable spring bars. Number 1. is a thicker metal staple that you'd close with a small flat blade screw driver.

metal tab for watch straps reduced 1.jpg

metal tab for watch straps reduced 2.jpg

@SUP Thanks for your help here. But, I haven't had any luck finding these little guys (2.) out there. 

metal tab for watch straps reduced 1.jpg

@toxo Thanks for the link Mate. I might be lucky there! :thumbsup:

I see. These are thicker and a little larger than the the belt keeper staples. Hmmm. They might be called something else.

@SUP other way around, the ones he wants are thinner, smaller, the 2 in the pic. He says easily bent by hand.

The ones I received from 2 different sources, as staples for belt keepers are much more flimsy though - from Tandy and Amazon. His look a lot sturdier than mine and mine are smaller than 1 inch.

@SUP  I think the ruler is metric, the one is a centimeter, his first post showed them 8mm wide (or long, or left to right).

Oh. He's from Australia - of course.  :) In that case, they are probably smaller.  He has mentioned mm as well. I should have looked more closely.

@SteveOz sorry about that.

Since these strap holder staples are from watch straps, they will be a different size from those used for belts. Someone who makes watch straps should  best be able to guide you. There are many of them on this site. If they have not spoken up, maybe you could modify your title of the thread to reflect this - if that is possible?

@SUP and @Wepster Thanks for your help with this and the suggestion of changing the post title too. Hopefully, I can do that... Yes, all of the measurements are metric, and it's the tiny ones (2.) that I'm looking for.

Hey steve , have a look at these . A little closer to home as well .

https://www.birdsall-leather.com.au/Y1279_dash_00/Leather-Staple-SS-pkt-100/pd.php

@Tastech Thanks for the tip Mate!