I haven't been around here in a while...just wanted to share my latest work, a holster I'm making for a friend. The resist totally failed, but I think I like the finish so far. Not sure if I'll send it out this way but I'll wait until it's stitched up and edged properly and all before I decide.

As an aside, I haven't been doing much leather lately...I've been having problems with my hands for a couple of years now. Last year it got so I couldn't really hold small tools for more very long, much less gripping them while I whack em. Docs don't know what's wrong yet, sooooooo....anybody have any tips for controlling hand pain so's I can stick with this a while longer?

Thanks all...happy pounding!

Amandas Holster_sm.jpg

I'm sorry you're having trouble with your hands.  Couple ideas that may help:

• You can try wrapping your stamping tools in a wrap to increase the diameter.  That can make it easier to hang on to for longer periods of time.  I've heard some people have success using rubber pencil holders.
  • I've seen, but haven't personally used, a leather tattoo machine.  Thicker handle and no cause for pounding /using a hammer.  May be worth a look if the hammer strikes are causing problems.  https://www.blackflagleathergoods.com/leather-tattoo-machine-21grams-leather-goods/

I have arthritis in my hands and I use a pain reliever cream Voltaren Arthritis Pain Gel and this helps a lot. 

Take your tools to a auto parts store . . .  tell em you want some black rubber tubing . . . 

Check the size with your tools . . . couple feet of it will last you almost forever.

I have  a bunch of tools with rubber on the handles . . . whole lot easier for 79 yr old hands to handle

May God bless,

Dwight

I wrap some of my stamps with blue painters tape, a lot to build it up. What resist were you using? I use tan kote, but even with that I don’t let any antique sit for long. I usually wipe it off right away.

Thanks for the replies guys. What I'm getting is thicken up the shafts a bit somehow...I'm going to look into some of your ideas. Also, Voltaren...CVS is just down the street.

@ bladegrinder - I've used Fiebings leather sheen as a resist for years, never had a problem before. I don't let antique sit for more than a couple of minutes, two to three, five at the outside, usually also not a problem. I changed leather recently (unfortunately still can't afford Hermann Oak or Wickett and Craig just yet) so I'm thinking that may be responsible.

12 hours ago, mikesherman said:

What I'm getting is thicken up the shafts a bit somehow.

Yes, and just keep on going as long as you can!

To make my tools more comfortable, I've been using wine corks (I have an endless supply).  I just drill an appropriate sized hole through the center and push it onto the tool.  Usually that is all I need, but I have had a couple where I had to add a drop of glue to keep it from sliding down.

/dwight