TomWilson

Started build of my first stitching pony

Just started the build of my first stitching pony. The overall height will be about 16 inches. I'll use two cam clamps, one for closing the clamp, and one for locking the rotation to the base. I'll wrap and glue veg-tan around each half of the clamp. I'll also insert magnets for holding the needles. I created the design in SketchUp. Feedback welcome...

Has anyone made a clamping mechanism that uses magnets to hold your work?

Untitled.jpg

IMG_4882.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Nice woodwork. Band saw? Lots of sanding? and maybe a large forstner bit?

1 minute ago, Wepster said:

Nice woodwork. Band saw? Lots of sanding? and maybe a large forstner bit?

Thanks! I cut the blocks for the clamp on my RAS (radial arm saw), glued and clamped them, and then marked the 1.5" hole center and outer 2 3/8" hole and cut lines on all sides. I used a forstner bit in a drill press for the 1.5" hole. I then flipped it upside-down and cut the circle open with two cuts on my RAS, with clamping blocks on either side of the work to keep my fingers away from the blade. I used a bench mounted belt sander to round the corners off the top of the clamp. As always, we learn a lot when making the first of anything... Eventually I'd like to make a stitching pony bench to sit on. Are you a woodworker, too?

I would imagine magnets strong enough to hold your work would be hard to get apart for a start. also needs to be smooth so won't mark your work. Might be able to do something for a watch strap but think half a handbag.

4 hours ago, TomWilson said:

Thanks! I cut the blocks for the clamp on my RAS (radial arm saw), glued and clamped them, and then marked the 1.5" hole center and outer 2 3/8" hole and cut lines on all sides. I used a forstner bit in a drill press for the 1.5" hole. I then flipped it upside-down and cut the circle open with two cuts on my RAS, with clamping blocks on either side of the work to keep my fingers away from the blade. I used a bench mounted belt sander to round the corners off the top of the clamp. As always, we learn a lot when making the first of anything... Eventually I'd like to make a stitching pony bench to sit on. Are you a woodworker, too?

I putter at it. Years ago I had a radial arm saw when I built decks. gave it away. the things scare me! I have large contractor grade table saw, but I wish I had invested in a decent size band saw instead. I think, track saws and a good band saw is the way to go if you have limited space, which is my situation, too much stuff. I have a bench top sears, I like the thing, but... Also have lathes. Love going to woodworking shows. Call me a wannabe woodworker, and purchaser of woodworking stuff.

That's an ingenious way of creating the curved jaws. :specool: A couple of years ago I bought a reasonable size bandsaw and I have to say I love it! Doesn't take up as much room as a tablesaw and in my opinion it's far more versatile.

6 hours ago, TomWilson said:

Has anyone made a clamping mechanism that uses magnets to hold your work?

If you are looking for info on magnets, check out this link.  They have lots of types and supporting information.  For a stitching pony with magnetic jaws, you may need a strong magnet separator.  Lots of experiments under their blog page.  Lots of rabbit holes!

That is an interesting way indeed to make that clamp piece, what wood are you using? I would love to try steaming and bending wood maybe this summer some time i will take a crack at a new stitching pony. Mine is very similar to yours in shape and function but just made from scrap wood.

On 4/25/2024 at 6:07 AM, chuck123wapati said:

That is an interesting way indeed to make that clamp piece, what wood are you using? I would love to try steaming and bending wood maybe this summer some time i will take a crack at a new stitching pony. Mine is very similar to yours in shape and function but just made from scrap wood.

One of the things I learned steaming and bending parts for dog sleds is that air dried lumber is far superior to kiln dried. The way it was explained was that kiln drying also uses vacuum to help remove the moisture and collapses the cells. I don't know if that is true, but there is a very real difference in results.      

On 4/25/2024 at 4:52 AM, dikman said:

That's an ingenious way of creating the curved jaws. :specool: A couple of years ago I bought a reasonable size bandsaw and I have to say I love it! Doesn't take up as much room as a tablesaw and in my opinion it's far more versatile.

Thanks! I really enjoy designing in something like SketchUp. It frees your mind to try many options prior to building. It works well to design using the same steps you’d use if you were applying tools to the material. This idea for a clamp came from working with the curve / circle tool, which then resulted in creating blocks of wood that I’d drill through. Anyway, I’ll post a photo of the actual pony when I finish it!

On 4/25/2024 at 6:07 AM, chuck123wapati said:

Thank you! I’m using bass wood for all parts. It’s lightweight, rigid but flexible, and mostly free of knots. It’s not recommended for steam bending. I was going to use fir, but the bass wood was less expensive. I too would like to try steaming wood to bend, and make a traditional saddlers clam someday. Post an image of your stitching pony?

Edited by TomWilson

9 hours ago, tsunkasapa said:

One of the things I learned steaming and bending parts for dog sleds is that air dried lumber is far superior to kiln dried. The way it was explained was that kiln drying also uses vacuum to help remove the moisture and collapses the cells. I don't know if that is true, but there is a very real difference in results.      

What a great skill to have! Did you make your own equipment for steaming?

20 hours ago, tsunkasapa said:

that's is a great tip to share thanks!!

11 hours ago, TomWilson said:

Thank you! I’m using bass wood for all parts. It’s lightweight, rigid but flexible, and mostly free of knots. It’s not recommended for steam bending. I was going to use fir, but the bass wood was less expensive. I too would like to try steaming wood to bend, and make a traditional saddlers clam someday. Post an image of your stitching pony?

aint she a dandy lol I've sewn a lot of stuff with it. My only problem with it is the jaws are almost to wide across the top to use them as a guide for my awl. I think making the bent wood jaws would solve that problem.

tools3.JPG

I have one suggestion for you to consider. If the clamp part can rotate on the cross base, it will allow you to hold the work at any angle you find easiest.

15 hours ago, TomWilson said:

What a great skill to have! Did you make your own equipment for steaming?

Yes, but it was just a metal 5 gallon bucket w/lid and stovepipe, nothing very high tech.

Not that I've done it but a good way to shape wood severely is to laminate thin pieces steamed around a jig or form and glued up. I know it as the West system and they lay up yacht hulls with it. It's very strong.

9 hours ago, MarshalWill said:

I have one suggestion for you to consider. If the clamp part can rotate on the cross base, it will allow you to hold the work at any angle you find easiest.

Yep, that's what I did, I put my feet on the base and I can turn/twist the clamp to suit my needs. Works well.

Edited by dikman

On 4/27/2024 at 5:23 AM, chuck123wapati said:

aint she a dandy lol I've sewn a lot of stuff with it. My only problem with it is the jaws are almost to wide across the top to use them as a guide for my awl. I think making the bent wood jaws would solve that problem.

tools3.JPG

Wonderful! She’s a thing of beauty, well anointed, and the keeper of many stories stitched together over the years. I like your wooden maul, too!

On 4/25/2024 at 4:52 AM, dikman said:

A bandsaw is very versatile indeed! I bought my Dewalt radial arm saw from a neighbor for $100. I read everything I could find on refurbishing, set up, making jigs for, and the safe way to use them. A book by Mr. Sawdust was most helpful. I’d like a bandsaw, but my shop is in my one car garage, and I need to keep room for the car, too. I just managed to fit a bench top drill press into the works last week. Have you made many leather working tools in your shop?

On 4/27/2024 at 10:45 AM, toxo said:

Not that I've done it but a good way to shape wood severely is to laminate thin pieces steamed around a jig or form and glued up. I know it as the West system and they lay up yacht hulls with it. It's very strong.

Thanks! I’ll look forward to taking a look at this. 

Okay, I made a bit of progress on the pony yesterday. I still need to cut the clamp in two, dado the vertical boards at the top to receive each half clamp, cover the clamps in veg tan, glue the blocks together, drill holes, round the corner of the hinged board at the base, and more... Buying one for $49 at Tandy has its advantages! On the home stretch now. 

IMG_4920.jpeg

Edited by TomWilson

6 hours ago, TomWilson said:

A bandsaw is very versatile indeed! I bought my Dewalt radial arm saw from a neighbor for $100. I read everything I could find on refurbishing, set up, making jigs for, and the safe way to use them. A book by Mr. Sawdust was most helpful. I’d like a bandsaw, but my shop is in my one car garage, and I need to keep room for the car, too. I just managed to fit a bench top drill press into the works last week. Have you made many leather working tools in your shop?

yours is looking really good. I have a one car garage also and i have all my wood working tools, bandsaw, table saw router table  small lathe etc plus all my knife making tools forge welder anvil. two belt sanders and all my automotive tools to boot. I have to shuffle them around as i do projects lol then if i need to work on my car they all have to get moved to the side so I can squeeze in my car lol. Today its set up for forging lol.

42 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

yours is looking really good. I have a one car garage also and i have all my wood working tools, bandsaw, table saw router table  small lathe etc plus all my knife making tools forge welder anvil. two belt sanders and all my automotive tools to boot. I have to shuffle them around as i do projects lol then if i need to work on my car they all have to get moved to the side so I can squeeze in my car lol. Today its set up for forging lol.

Oh my heart bleeds for you Chuck. Try doing it in the bedroom.

18 minutes ago, toxo said:

Try doing it in the bedroom.

LOl I sure cant do "it" in the garage its to full. I am blessed to have what I have for sure my friend. Also a basement for my leather, guns and bows wine making and a dozen other hobbies.