Sign in to follow this  
Mulesaw

Stamped collar for a broholmer

The mother of my daughters best friend has got a broholmer (an old Danish breed)

Her collar was damaged and held together wit a simple cable strip, and I felt compelled to make a new collar for her. I measured the circumference of her neck using a paper napkin (I met the dog at a horse competition, so I didn't have a measuring tape with me)

The hardware was made on board the ship out of heavy brass plate. The lining is made out of some old thin leather that was originally the upholstery of the couches on board.

The real name of the dog is Isolde, but she is always called Solle, and I checked with the friend of my daughter and that was what she'd like on the collar. 
In order to make a bit of decoration and practicing my carving and stamping, I carved a heart, a bone , SOLLE, a bone and a heart. It helps that the dog is large. The circumference of the neck is 26", the width of the collar is 2". The sewing was done on my old Singer class 7, save for the start and stop near the buckle and the D-ring. That was hand sewn.

IMG_4770.jpg.13961f9d658e8d99efa44397aa3e3394.jpg

Homemade D-ring and buckle, 1" inside measurement.

IMG_4771.jpg.c0b97fe839bc1611bab4ca86221acc07.jpg

Showing the underside of the buckle

IMG_4772.jpg.2154f3b6bce322283221f424a98f1354.jpg

I opted to use the D-ring as belt keeper. 

IMG_4773.jpg.d89bba0d7f80ba343e5d5ac190b912a2.jpg

Carving and backgrounding.

IMG_4774.jpg.3d60e39ce79760277d625325df3ebc59.jpg

Bone and a heart, very simply done.

IMG_4255.jpg

IMG_4256.jpg

IMG_4257.jpg

IMG_4258.jpg

IMG_4259.jpg

IMG_4275.jpg

IMG_4276.jpg

awesome work my friend!! that brass buckle is above and beyond cool.

@chuck123wapati Thanks Chuck.

I've got a bunch of pictures showing the actual making process of the buckle and the D-ring, but I decided to not include them in this forum. 
I'll make an entry in the hardware section for those instead in a cup of tea's time  :-)

Sadly I haven't got any pictures of the dog wearing the collar, but my daughter got a thank you video from the mother featuring the dog proudly strutting down the main street wearing it.

Your friend

Jonas

Very nice. Looks great. Fine craftsmanship on making the buckle & D ring. Very impressive work. 

7 minutes ago, DieselTech said:

Very nice. Looks great. Fine craftsmanship on making the buckle & D ring. Very impressive work. 

Thanks, 

I don't know what happened to this post. I thought that I hadn't put in the pictures of the fabrication of the hardware..
Now I am afraid that I have double posted :wacko:

1 hour ago, Mulesaw said:

Thanks, 

I don't know what happened to this post. I thought that I hadn't put in the pictures of the fabrication of the hardware..
Now I am afraid that I have double posted :wacko:

Lol I bet it will be all right even if you did. 

The collar is beautiful, but what really impresses me is the hardware! I wouldn't dream of making a buckle. Kudos to you!

Good looking collar and nice buckle!  This reminds me of a Craig Trnka video showing how to make a bar shoe.  He has a bigger surface to work on than you. 

10 hours ago, Klara said:

The collar is beautiful, but what really impresses me is the hardware! I wouldn't dream of making a buckle. Kudos to you!

Thanks Klara, I like to challenge myself once in a while, and it was made while I was at sea anyway, so it served as a nice fun play project to me. 
I have to say that I think my heart and the bone look a bit "flat", compared to how other people are able to carve and stamp. I am not really good at organic shapes. but then on the other hand - I never really practices anyway. So that might be an explanation. 

I would love to be able to make a rounded heart that doesn't look like a drawing made of a 7 year old :-) But I guess I'll have to be content that I can make a buckle instead :lol:

Brgds Jonas

5 hours ago, TomE said:

Good looking collar and nice buckle!  This reminds me of a Craig Trnka video showing how to make a bar shoe.  He has a bigger surface to work on than you. 

Thanks Tom.

That is an amazing video! blacksmithing is fascinating to watch, and especially when it is someone that really know their stuff!

Brgds Jonas

22 minutes ago, Mulesaw said:

Thanks Tom.

That is an amazing video! blacksmithing is fascinating to watch, and especially when it is someone that really know their stuff!

Brgds Jonas

He is a world class farrier blacksmith.  Makes it look easy.

6 minutes ago, TomE said:

He is a world class farrier blacksmith.  Makes it look easy.

I often find myself thinking that no matter what trade a person have, watching someone who can do that trade really efficiently is always amazing. There is just something about those who are able to make it look so easy and getting a good result that catches your attention.