Hi everyone!

When using Edge Kote or anything of the like, what's the most effective and clean way of cleaning up the dried coating from the surface of the leather without peeling the edges?

Thanks!

Don't let it get on the surface in the first place!

Apply it carefully with a small foam swab or the tip of a pencil and wipe it off immediately if it spreads. Don't load them with too much and take your time.

yeah, edge kote take some practice.  Foam swabs can be found on amazon or ebay and come in many different sizes and purposes like hobby, printer cleaning, etc.   I use some small fiber optic cleaning swabs left over from an old job for that purpose.   I have seen the pencil tip method used to very good effect, but haven't tried it myself.  Maybe I will when I run out of swabs.

I have had some luck cleaning the edge kote with denatured alcohol and said swabs.  It is still a very precise chore.  And when all is said and done, you are probably the only one who notices a slight wobble on the straight edge, and that little flaw is what helps it look hand made.

16 hours ago, TonyV said:

yeah, edge kote take some practice.  Foam swabs can be found on amazon or ebay and come in many different sizes and purposes like hobby, printer cleaning, etc.   I use some small fiber optic cleaning swabs left over from an old job for that purpose.   I have seen the pencil tip method used to very good effect, but haven't tried it myself.  Maybe I will when I run out of swabs.

I have had some luck cleaning the edge kote with denatured alcohol and said swabs.  It is still a very precise chore.  And when all is said and done, you are probably the only one who notices a slight wobble on the straight edge, and that little flaw is what helps it look hand made.

Hi there! Why foam?

18 hours ago, zuludog said:

Don't let it get on the surface in the first place!

Apply it carefully with a small foam swab or the tip of a pencil and wipe it off immediately if it spreads. Don't load them with too much and take your time.

You're right, haha.

Cleaner... cotton swabs leave fluff behind, foam won't do that. 

7 hours ago, JackPeter said:

Hi there! Why foam?

On 5/8/2024 at 2:44 AM, TonyV said:

I have seen the pencil tip method used to very good effect, but haven't tried it myself.  Maybe I will when I run out of swabs.

I have seen Nigel Armitage use a pencil to apply edge paint on some of his videos; if it's good enough for Nigel ......

On 5/8/2024 at 7:03 PM, JackPeter said:
On 5/8/2024 at 7:03 PM, JackPeter said:

Hi there! Why foam?

Foam will hold and absorb some of the paint but it is not so soft that it will spread and be difficult to control

Search Amazon, where they sell foam swabs intended for cleaning computer keyboards. 

You could use a cotton bud, but they do spread a bit

Edited by zuludog

As stated, prevention is best.  If you do get a drip or excess, wipe it immediately. Also, I always do multiple light coats rather than try to get one heavy coat to work.