JHLeatherwood

Handles for a large wooden box

My son has a wooden box that he has to carry occasionally and he asked me to make him leather handles for it. The thing is heavy and large - it's made of 3/4 inch birch plywood on 5 sides with a 1/4 inch panel that slides in grooves for a closure.

Its dimensions are: 17.5" wide by 16" tall. It's 12" deep but the straps won't go over that dimension.

Unfortunately, my son and the box are 7 hours away, so I can't prototype and test. I'm not confident a single strap handle fastened to the top would hold.

So I took a page from some tote and duffel bags I've done and other stuff I've seen, and made wraparound straps. The straps are 10oz W&C bridle.

My question is how to attach the straps to the box?

• Glue them to the wood all the way around (up to the D-rings?)
  • Upholstery tacks?Just at the bottom (won't the leather stretch?)
  • Just at the top? (Would the top tack support the strain?)
  • All the way around? (Same problem.)
  • Fasten each strap to itself at the top, and run the handles between them?

I'm open to suggestions. Horrible mockup with leather bins below.

20240514_192514.jpg

IMG_20240514_192820.jpg

Jakes-handle.jpg

If you're looping the straps underneath, I doubt they need to be glued all the way around.    Use a heavy enough leather to support the weight, and secure the straps to the box to keep them from moving around.  This leather box has a motorcycle battery in it, so its pretty heavy.  Its really secure.  The straps are just kept from moving around with the leather bands, but the straps themselves are not glued or stitched to the box itself.  

IMG_2746.jpg

IMG_2747.jpg

IMG_2745.jpg

5 hours ago, Littlef said:

If you're looping the straps underneath, I doubt they need to be glued all the way around.    Use a heavy enough leather to support the weight, and secure the straps to the box to keep them from moving around.  This leather box has a motorcycle battery in it, so its pretty heavy.  Its really secure.  The straps are just kept from moving around with the leather bands, but the straps themselves are not glued or stitched to the box itself.  

@Littlef I like the way you did that. Totally stealing it. @Northmount thanks for the link.

1 hour ago, JHLeatherwood said:

@Littlef I like the way you did that. Totally stealing it. @Northmount thanks for the link.

glad you found it helpful.  Post some photos when you’re done.  I’d love to see the finished product. 

Here it is - got it done in time for my son to use it at his gaming convention. I also made a dice tray with his clan logo that snaps to the straps. 

He was happy so I'm happy. I also have one commission and two other people who saw it at the show and want one. 

Win!

IMG_20240524_101222.jpg

IMG_20240524_101239.jpg

IMG_20240524_101229.jpg

IMG_20240525_125018.jpg

Excellent

14 hours ago, JHLeatherwood said:

Here it is - got it done in time for my son to use it at his gaming convention. I also made a dice tray with his clan logo that snaps to the straps. 

He was happy so I'm happy. I also have one commission and two other people who saw it at the show and want one. 

Win!

IMG_20240524_101222.jpg

IMG_20240524_101239.jpg

IMG_20240524_101229.jpg

IMG_20240525_125018.jpg

Yes good work, just one question are there any feet on the bottom of the box if not it might be a good idea to put some on as it will save on wear and tear on the strap when setting it down on the ground or maybe even some small castors if possible.

Hope this helps

JCUK

6 hours ago, jcuk said:

Yes good work, just one question are there any feet on the bottom of the box if not it might be a good idea to put some on as it will save on wear and tear on the strap when setting it down on the ground or maybe even some small castors if possible.

Hope this helps

JCUK

Yes- the strap Holders on the side are held on with upholstery tracks, and the ones in the bottom have hammer-in bag feet. He's thinking about casters - they'll be screwed in at the corners if he does them.

looks good! those straps look really secure.