x546JP

What tool as far as you know doesn't exist but you wish it did?

What tool either doesn't exist but you wish it did, or is way to expensive? Also, what tool do you find the most difficult to use? Perhaps a template or tool guide that would make your work easier, but as far as you know doesn't exist.

Edited by x546JP

31 minutes ago, Mablung said:

A turbo encabulator. 

I thought they had already marketed the engineering joke, the turbo encabulator, more commonly known as EV (electric vehicles).

kgg

1 hour ago, x546JP said:

What tool either doesn't exist but you wish it did

A true bobbinless lock-stitch sewing machine.

kgg

2 hours ago, x546JP said:

What tool either doesn't exist but you wish it did, 

An automatic, or any, bobbin winder for Tippmann Boss bobbins 

Even something fashioned along the lines of a fishing line spool winder - the type for fixed spool reels

Edited by fredk

2 hours ago, x546JP said:

or is way to expensive? 

Since Harland & Wolff closed you can only buy 'diagonal steam  traps' 2nd hand and they fetch enormous prices. A cheaper one would be welcome

Let me rephrase that: What hand tool doesn't exist but you wish it did?

17 hours ago, fredk said:

An automatic, or any, bobbin winder for Tippmann Boss bobbins 

Even something fashioned along the lines of a fishing line spool winder - the type for fixed spool reels

Fred, some people mount small motors or hand cranks on the bobbin winders that are designed to ride against the belt of the machine. My Boss came with a metal stem split on the end and goes in a drill to wind bobbins. Easy to use and 20 plus years later I have still never used the built in bobbin winder on a machine. 

Some kind of roller with an edge treatment attached (beveller maybe) for soft leather. It can't be pushed so it would have to be like a minute angled lawnmower. 

@x546JP If I may ask, why do you want to know this?

My interest, in addition to leathercraft, is in hand tool modifications and innovations. As such, I asked the question. Leather tools in general are interesting given the ingenuity and creativeness that makers of tools have shown over the history of the craft. I am just looking for the tool that has yet to be made.

Do you plan to make and sell them? That would be interesting.

51 minutes ago, SUP said:

Do you plan to make and sell them? That would be interesting.

:17:

4 hours ago, x546JP said:

My interest, in addition to leathercraft, is in hand tool modifications and innovations. As such, I asked the question. Leather tools in general are interesting given the ingenuity and creativeness that makers of tools have shown over the history of the craft. I am just looking for the tool that has yet to be made.

I'd like a bobbin winder for the Tippmann Boss bobbins. Its incredible that you pay $1000 for a machine and they give you an aluminium bar to use in your hand drill with the bobbins. I know that due the way the machine works you can't have a machine mountable the way you can with other machines. Even if they offered a wider as an extra it would be worth buying 

mmmmm, I wonder if a small fixed spool fishing reel can be adapted??

7 minutes ago, fredk said:

mmmmm, I wonder if a small fixed spool fishing reel can be adapted??

Interesting idea, I don't see why not (the little closed-face casting reels come to mind). I guess it just depends on a) how handy you are at fabricating things and b) how much time you're prepared to put into it.