DabblerMcPancakes

Used Gun belt holster lining shrunk?

Hi, I bought a used gun belt & holster from shop goodwill.com. (They don’t tend to give very detailed listings, but the price is right.)

When it arrived, I noticed that the stitching was gone and the glue dissolved, so the liner was attached to the belt with a few rivets.

Here’s the problem- it seems that the lining has shrunk? I can’t lay the pieces flat and  match the pieces end to end, I’m losing almost an inch. 

Can I stretch out the liner?

pictures would help. But not seeing what's going on, you MIGHT be able to dampen the lining and stretch it back out. It sounds like it has totally dried out. If that works it will need to be reconditioned.

I would toss the liner (unless you want to make a knife sheath out of it).

Buy a piece of leather from Tandy store . . . put it together.

My guess would be it did not shrink . . . somebody just put together something to sell . . . two oddball pieces that "almost" matched.

May God bless,

Dwight

20 hours ago, DabblerMcPancakes said:

Here’s the problem- it seems that the lining has shrunk? I can’t lay the pieces flat and  match the pieces end to end, I’m losing almost an inch. 

Try it on a curve. The pieces probably match when you try it on a curve, such as your waist. 

Probably easier to take out the lining and put a new one in , but we really need some  picture

Thanks everyone for your ideas, and……

Yes, the pieces match when curved!  Can I sew & glue it curved, and it will keep its integrity, or cut a new piece, or…?

IMG_6048.jpeg

IMG_6053.jpeg

IMG_6052.jpeg

Edited by DabblerMcPancakes
Doubled Photos & spacing

If its not damaged or the stitching holes ripped, yes, you can re-use it. Then it will keep its originality

You are correct, the stitches aren’t ripped, and it’s not damaged. 

I’m just trying to keep my brain from melting- accepting that it will keep its shape as I put it together, curved.  

It’s an opposite truth to my previous clothing sewing experience, that’s for sure. ;)

What I would do is; line up the two ends, align the sewing holes and stick something like straightened wire paper clips in the sewing holes - they look like they can take them - then work back to the other end, lining up the holes and putting in  paper clips every couple of inches. When thats done I'd go back to the first end, remove the paper clips and glue about 3 inches and put the paper clips back in. When that glue is really dry and sticking those 3 inches real well I'd do about  6 inches more, always putting the paper clips back in, repeat until all the belt is glued up. Then start the stitching

I glue and sew most of my gun belts curved.  The will be worn on a curve.  They will never be flat.  Might as well start them off that way.