BillB

Suffering a stroke leads to finding new methods and means

In June of 2023 I suffered a stroke that has affected the nerves on the left side of my body including my left hand. This has caused me to rethink how I do my hobby of leather carving. I began looking into laser engraving to assist me so I may continue to enjoy leather carving, at least at some level. I recently purchased an xTool D1 Pro 2 with a 10 watt diode laser. Since I do leather writing folios (outer shell measures 13" H x 20" W) this device provides me an open frame that I can slide the leather under when I do the front design or the back design as seperate engravings. I also do purses and custom holsters (Western Style). So far I have used the laser on two purses and two writing folios and a 'round to it'. For the two purses, I used the laser to provide the tooling lines as well as adding some enhancements to the design. In the case of the writing folios I only engraved the design to maintain the level of details in the design. In the future I am looking at doing some tooling to enhance that type of design, i.e. tooling the outline and possibly major components. Also, it has opened a whole lot of fonts that I can using on my leather projects. In the past I have used the letter stamps and two sets of metal print type to do the lettering.

For the engraving I am running the laser at 35% power and 100 mm/sec. 

I am using the software that comes from xTool since it has all the capabilities I currently require. I have looked at "Lightburn" and will reconsider it if the "xTool Creative Space" no longer supports my needs. 

I have also purchase the D1 Pro enclosure kit, Air assist to keep the laser head clean, and the smoke purifier so I can run the system inside the house in our craft studio.

One of the things I have realized is that I can rely on the laser to add details as shown in the two writing folios that I cannot achieve with tooling. I have also found that although I can continue with my leather craft it now takes me twice as long to complete a project. Living with a new normal.

xTool D1 Pro 2.jpegKai's Purse.jpegKai Sunflower 1.jpegBattlemech 1.jpegBattlemech 2.jpegChris 1.jpegChris 2.jpegRound 2 It.jpegMickey Boatwright.jpeg

Edited by BillB

Awfully glad you found a way to stay in the game! And I hope your prognosis includes improvement.  Your projects look great and twice as long is twice as nice.  Keep it up.

Edited by TonyV

I bought an open frame too because of the flexibility of sliding things under it, unfortunately I soon realised I needed to enclose it and use an exhaust system because of the fumes!!!!! Mine didn't come with software, normally I tend to find free software that generally works but in this case I ended up actually paying for Lightburn and consider it money well spent, it's an excellent piece of software for laser engravers with lots of user guides on youtube.

These things have lots of creative potential for leatherworkers.

3 hours ago, dikman said:

I bought an open frame too because of the flexibility of sliding things under it, unfortunately I soon realised I needed to enclose it and use an exhaust system because of the fumes!!!!! Mine didn't come with software, normally I tend to find free software that generally works but in this case I ended up actually paying for Lightburn and consider it money well spent, it's an excellent piece of software for laser engravers with lots of user guides on youtube.

I've got two of em . . . a 3000mw and a 10 watt . . . they sit side by side in a box I built on a door . . . (10$ slab door from a used fixit shop) . . . have a 7 inch fan blowing thru a round hole in the side of my shop . . . works great.

I have used Lightburn . . . found LaserGRBL (free software) . . . works real well  . . . only have to remember when printing anything . . . it prints in a mirror image . . . have to change it before printing . . . otherwise works real good.

May God bless,

Dwight

laser box.jpg

They look really good, love the elephant :You_Rock_Emoticon:

18 hours ago, BillB said:

One of the things I have realized is that I can rely on the laser to add details as shown in the two writing folios that I cannot achieve with tooling. I have also found that although I can continue with my leather craft it now takes me twice as long to complete a project. Living with a new normal.

All I can say is WOW!  Really great work.

21 hours ago, BillB said:

In June of 2023 I suffered a stroke that has affected the nerves on the left side of my body including my left hand. This has caused me to rethink how I do my hobby of leather carving. I began looking into laser engraving to assist me so I may continue to enjoy leather carving, at least at some level. I recently purchased an xTool D1 Pro 2 with a 10 watt diode laser. Since I do leather writing folios (outer shell measures 13" H x 20" W) this device provides me an open frame that I can slide the leather under when I do the front design or the back design as seperate engravings. I also do purses and custom holsters (Western Style). So far I have used the laser on two purses and two writing folios and a 'round to it'. For the two purses, I used the laser to provide the tooling lines as well as adding some enhancements to the design. In the case of the writing folios I only engraved the design to maintain the level of details in the design. In the future I am looking at doing some tooling to enhance that type of design, i.e. tooling the outline and possibly major components. Also, it has opened a whole lot of fonts that I can using on my leather projects. In the past I have used the letter stamps and two sets of metal print type to do the lettering.

For the engraving I am running the laser at 35% power and 100 mm/sec. 

I am using the software that comes from xTool since it has all the capabilities I currently require. I have looked at "Lightburn" and will reconsider it if the "xTool Creative Space" no longer supports my needs. 

I have also purchase the D1 Pro enclosure kit, Air assist to keep the laser head clean, and the smoke purifier so I can run the system inside the house in our craft studio.

xTool D1 Pro 2.jpegKai's Purse.jpegKai Sunflower 1.jpegBattlemech 1.jpegBattlemech 2.jpegChris 1.jpegChris 2.jpegRound 2 It.jpegMickey Boatwright.jpeg

These are awesome!! I use my laser in almost every project I do. It has made cutting complicated pieces or pieces were repeatability is important a breeze! I have an AtomStack A30, a 30W diode. I REALLY want to upgrade to a much larger CO2 laser to help with production time on my leather patch hats but it's just not in the cards right now. So glad you found a way to keeping going!

19 hours ago, dikman said:

I LOVE Lightburn! I do most of my design for projects in it.