Been thinking bout getting one of these. Do they heat up instantly? Have a soldering iron that does that but far too bulky. Is there a preference? Longer lasting battery etc?

I think the thread zapper ll is the better of the models offered. I heard the tips can eventually burn up. But replacement tips are available. 

I just bought one. The tip takes about 5 second to heat up but it really never gets as hot as a soldering iron, just hot enuff to melt the thread. Its light-weight and handy. I intend to try it on my model aeroplanes as well, for trimming the rigging

I’ve been using a zapper that my doctor uses for skin tags.  Heats up instantly and works like a charm.  I can’t find this exact product online, but if you search medical skin tag remover you’ll find them.  

As fredk stated, it takes only a few seconds to heat up.

Others have mentioned having to replace the tip, but I have had mine for four years now and am still using the same tip.

Here is a link to another thread discussing the battery to use. It seems the type of battery used has a significant impact on longevity. 

2 hours ago, fredk said:

I just bought one. The tip takes about 5 second to heat up but it really never gets as hot as a soldering iron, just hot enuff to melt the thread.     . . .

I just checked the battery I used to check that the zapper is working; its only about 75%, not full strength. That will make a difference to the time to heat and the heat

On 6/9/2024 at 10:49 AM, toxo said:

Been thinking bout getting one of these. Do they heat up instantly? Have a soldering iron that does that but far too bulky. Is there a preference? Longer lasting battery etc?

try something like this then you can use it for other projects as well, pyrography is pretty fun and works well on leather goods. i have a set that has two handles you can switch back and forth and change blades less frequently.

sissypic1.JPG

forgot the link lol.

https://www.amazon.com/FIRElood-Adjustable-Temperature-professional-30Pyrography/dp/B0CN92HP43/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?adgrpid=1235851380015370&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.shdDv-k-wL1pjtT3OyGIcrugdhok6pzQ9IhNRiPT6x6G7BpCEpElBpHqNJt4YX5hEPXq55Jl941vTfrY4dUxmfTiceGpvkErPsrX-A878exsCSNbNOOskFN4OKiNRtiZV45I8v85UsP3xhIR1N6B20upMCD9_vpsTBpP_mTVSxGCzkn3R3ukYUe5LBpqNdkRNF6fglmZ_art0r-xWBkdv2lgRgztt7hVo5AcPTxci9irEhIlfvHZIHXXmxZ4mDoRZxb9KyyD6gBpVD1jWbpgZaLeb2QFbJKWCUEZe8dCOZM.n3dozu4qpNCgKPmezwi8pLcB5ovwZOu4x2ynUYLf42E&dib_tag=se&hvadid=77240878145738&hvbmt=bp&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=105893&hvnetw=s&hvqmt=p&hvtargid=kwd-77240947310198%3Aloc-190&hydadcr=6010_13299189&keywords=wood+burning+tool+kit&msclkid=7844d411da791663d825b277c08be358&qid=1717967612&sr=8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Edited by Northmount
Removed extraneous photo

I'll revise my earlier statement; With a fresh battery heat-up was instant and the tip went red hot.  Perhaps its hot enuff to melt solder.  The unit comes with a protective cover which covers the tip and the switch as well and prevents it being accidentally pressed

Edited by fredk

I used a thread zapper but ran out of spare tips, they are fragile. Happened upon a post where a gutta percha cutter used in dental work was being used to melt the thread. I bought one off of Amazon for about $20 and so far happy with it. The tips are beefier compared to the thread zapper I have.

Edited by CdK

On 6/9/2024 at 11:49 AM, toxo said:

I use the ThreadZap II to burn/trim all of my thread. They eat up AAs pretty quickly but the convenience is worth it. I find that mine heat up almost instantly to hot enough to trim any sewing thread I use. 

As others have said the tips are pretty fragile and they WILL eventually burn up but they're cheap enough and easy to replace from Amazon. 

I use the Thread zap too but I got mine from Temu. It's one third the price for the same thing but it takes about 8-10 days to arrive. It's working fine and mine came with a spare tip. 

I always compare products and prices between Amazon and Temu. More and more Temu items seem to be appearing on Amazon at  inflated prices. 

Edited by SUP

1 hour ago, ArkieNewbie said:

I use the ThreadZap II to burn/trim all of my thread. They eat up AAs pretty quickly but the convenience is worth it. I find that mine heat up almost instantly to hot enough to trim any sewing thread I use. 

As others have said the tips are pretty fragile and they WILL eventually burn up but they're cheap enough and easy to replace from Amazon. 

@ArkieNewbieI needed to add, the gutta percha cutter comes with a base in which it recharges in. Win-win as batteries have become expensive.

I stitch several holsters at a time.  So I have a soldering iron plugged up on the nightstand while I stitch.  Got tired of fighting with the zappers and switched to the soldering iron.  If I was only doing one, the zapper might be better.  But sitting down and stitching 3-4 at a time, the soldering iron wins.