Sign in to follow this  
AlexT

Issues with Juki 563 thread bunching (may have found issue)

First of all, as a long time lurker, I have learned so much from this forum - so much so, that I went ahead and purchased a juki 563 to start working on more heavy-duty projects. 

However, since I’ve gotten the machine I have yet to enjoy sewing anything with it. It has been giving me issues from the very first day.

When I  complete a stitch, there ALWAYS seems to be a snag when trying to remove the fabric from the machine. I know there is a critical position for the needle, and sometimes I wiggle the hand wheel and the thread comes out, but it is NEVER seamless. Ever.

If I’m backstitching this becomes almost a rats nest. With my top thread becoming completely entangled and me having to pull a chunk of thread from the feed dogs. 

I am using T 70 bonded nylon thread, I believe that the tension on the machine is correct, I don’t think there are any issues mechanically.

I have had the machine professionally set up and retimed - it should be in perfect working order - but after researching on this forum for quite some time, I believe my bobbin housing may be installed incorrectly - please see photo for reference.

could this be causing all of these problems? The machine DOES sew, but the thread does get caught up on the small tab which I believe should be sitting within the throat casing when I’m hand turning and observing.

Thank you in advance for any input.

IMG_1456.jpeg

Edited by AlexT

That tab goes in the notch on the underside of the needle plate. After you get that fixed, let us know how it sews.

As chisel said get the tab of the bobbincase under the groove of the needle plate & also when you stop & want to pull out your material make sure the take up lever is all the way @ it's highest position.

8 hours ago, AlexT said:

I believe my bobbin housing may be installed incorrectly - please see photo for reference.

This video should help you with the bobbin assembly.

kgg

Thank you all so much. Kept blowing fuses on my motor (another issue that I need to figure out) have some new ones coming tomorrow and will see if that helped

If your motor is an old clutch motor you will not have much fun with it (often too fast and noisy). Better replace it with a modern servo motor and maybe add a speed reducer.

Or check this thread maybe this motor is a good option for you

8 hours ago, AlexT said:

Kept blowing fuses on my motor (another issue that I need to figure out) have some new ones coming tomorrow and will see if that helped

Fuses are meant to protect both equipment and people from electrical faults. Typically they pop when their is an overload on the motor, damaged wiring (power cord, shorted internal motor windings, electronic board failures, faulty house electrical circuit ). It is not uncommon for a fuse to blow every once in awhile for no reason due weakening from age and the number of cycles the fuse has been exposed that were close to it's limit. If you have checked the obvious external wiring and things look good save yourself the aggravation, other potential problems and just replace it with a new servo motor.

kgg

Hello Alex T

How did you make out with the problem with the bobbin!!  Did positioning the tab correct the problem??

Take Care

Bill

Hello everyone! The positioning corrected the issue but my new issue is that the bobbin tab keeps popping out of the throat plate - at any stress whatsoever - most specifically when I wind my bobbin, the momentum of the needle moving totally shifts it out of place. I spend most of my time unscrewing and shifting it back into place. I am ordering a new one today (throat plate)

also, as far as the motor, it is a new servo, and when the speed is turned down low and I go to give it gas, there isn’t enough power to move the belt, which then blows the fuse. My only option is to give the motor more power.

thank you all for the feedback

Edited by AlexT

9 hours ago, AlexT said:

as far as the motor, it is a new servo, and when the speed is turned down low and I go to give it gas, there isn’t enough power to move the belt, which then blows the fuse.

A couple of suggestions:

1. Belt maybe to tight. The belt should have about 1/2" (12mm) deflection.

2. Servo motors have a minimum startup speed. Some have start speeds of 200 rpm while others are 500 rpm just depends on the manufacturer design (brush versus brushless motors). A way to help minimize this is to reduce the size of the pulley on the motor and add a speed reducer pulley to the configuration.

kgg