TomE

And now, for something completely different...

...stainless and nickel-bronze hardware, instead of brass.  :)   Wickett & Craig bridle leather, hardware from Zack White and Beiler's.  Learn something with each one I make.

DSC_1732.jpg

DSC_1763.jpg

What a show off Tom.  That's another great looking work of art.  I like you flowering trees also.

Ron

Very nice work there.

Looking good!

Thanks, everyone. I am enjoying learning to refine my skills.

That's sharp!!

Very nice, Tom!

As a (retired) horse person, I got a laugh out of you sig: horses: fixing stuff they break! :lol: During my time as a horse owner, i developed a very good relationship with the local tack shop, which also did repairs!

Edited by Sheilajeanne

5 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Very nice, Tom!

As a (retired) horse person, I got a laugh out of you sig: horses: fixing stuff they break! :lol: During my time as a horse owner, i developed a very good relationship with the local tack shop, which also did repairs!

Thank you! I find that repairs are a good way to learn how tack is made and where the weak points are.

The man who owned the shop had been taught harness making by a Mennonite craftsperson, Isaac Baker. At one time, he had a business making harnesses for draft horses. I remember coming into his shop, and seeing an employee busy hand sewing a decorative scotch top that sits on top of the collar. (Have a look at the Budweiser Clydesdales if you're not sure what I'm talking about.)

As time went by, I guess he decided there wasn't enough demand for this sort of work, so he changed his business to cater to English and western riders, selling everything from tack to books on horses. Repairs were still a sideline, though, and he did them very cheaply. He loved to talk, and I remember getting into a very long conversation with him about people we knew. When I finally turned to leave the shop, I realized I hadn't paid, and asked  him how much I owed. He shrugged, and said, "Throw a couple of bucks into that jar. It's my kid's pony fund."  :lol:

Well, when you sell saddles that begin at $2,600, the money you get for fiixing  a broken rein or halter is really not that important!   :huh:

Edited by Sheilajeanne