rac1812

Using a 211G156....properly.....

Now that I have cleaned it, adjusted the timing and installed a reduction (home made) belt device and added a variable speed motor from Toledo I am actually using the beast.  It is very slow unless I stomp it but that is what I wanted.  All of the above was done with forum members advice so now I need "operating help"

I am in the process of making curtains...... not for the kitchen... side curtains for a 1940 army Chev....... using very heavy Olive Drab Canvass.  I made a pattern using flipchart paper with 1 inch squares and taking measurements from an original side curtain made in 1940...... can't use the original has it is now 2 inches too narrow and 1 inch too short..... well it shrank over the last 84 years.   All the stitching is fairly simple straight line using a very coarse cotton thread........ my goal is to copy it as accurately as possible both for size and visual appearance..... so I have modern cotton canvass around 16 ounces, and various thread size in beige, to mimick cotton and  transparent vinyl to replace the original totally degrade Monsanto early plastic.

I have completed my first prototype with # 69 black nylon bonded thread using a Number 14 needle at 8 thread per inch....... did the needle thread trick until It moved freely in the fall test......  results is a fairtly good looking curtain that fits the side opening.  My next step is to do another one using the heavier beige bonded nylon at the lowest setting of 5 stitches per inch.......

Now I need help....... my largest needle currently in stock is number 21 and the 207 bonded nylon is too big for my needles..... and in fitting the newly wound bobbins I noticed that there seems to be a clearance issue around the bobbins many hooks and crevices........   have I exceeded the thread size limits of my machine???  thread is a very tight fit on the 21 weedle size I have and does not seem to loop over the bobbin when the hook turns over........  I intend to respect the limitations size if that is the issue...... or is there a way around this????

My next attempt was to use a 138s bonded nylon in Beige with a number 20 needle........ well I expected that the "tension" woold need to be adjusted....and was not disappointed..... first test was a typical bird nest under..... increases the tension until I could sow but the bobbin thread is lying flat on the underside and the top thread very visible sticking out of the canvass......... pretty well maxed the tension adjustment screw and now it is almost acceptable but the top thread is still being pulled to the bottom.........  what do I do next???     technical question.... the tension mechanism is a two screw./ disc arrangement....... and I have been limiting my tension adjustment to the top most screw..... is there anything else that controls the tension that I am overlooking....... I have not touched the bobbin tension screw on the bobbin holder as the bobbin thread does not seem to be causing the issue....... or am I wrong and the tension needs to be balanced somehow???

Otherwise the machine works nice and handles up to 7 thickness of folded canvass when doing corners at a steady clunk-clunk-clunk with plenty of torque.

Am I possibly using the wrong kind of thread???    I will be using my leather triangular needles when doing the vinyl.

Any help and / or suggestions greatly appreciated.

My next project will be attaching leather straps to the truck cargo box canvass....single layer of harness leather to canvass with a stress patch/ piece of 9 ounce leather on the back side for greater load bearing.  For this I will be fabricating a temporary large "L" shaped table made of two 4x8 sheet of plywood with me sitting in the crease.........   again tread and needle size will be an issue.

Thanks for your help.

Bob C.

_DSC8156.jpgresized.jpg

38 minutes ago, rac1812 said:

I have completed my first prototype with # 69 black nylon bonded thread using a Number 14 needle at 8 thread per inch......

You need to look at this thread chart to needle size ( https://www.tolindsewmach.com/thread-chart.html )

V69 use #16 or #18

V138 use #22 or #23

V207 use #24

The Singer 211G156 can handle a #22 needle so it can do up to V138. When sewing in fabric use 135 x 17 needles for the leather straps probably best to use 135 x 16 needles.

kgg

Singer_211G155,_211G156_Service_Manual-1.pdf

@rac1812 Moved your post to leather sewing machines.

If your material is too thin and the thread is too thick, you can't hide the knots in the material regardless of what you do with your tension settings.

58 minutes ago, Northmount said:

If your material is too thin and the thread is too thick, you can't hide the knots in the material regardless of what you do with your tension settings.

Excellent point.

kgg

211G dead in the water,,,,,   I tried the largest needle #21 with the 138 bonded nylon thread..... the machine does two stitches and the thread jams under the feed plate and is strong enough to stall the machine and cause the belt to slip.

My detective work as shown the same issue I suspected yesterday....... the 138 is tooooo big.......let alone the 207 I have.

Now Wizard who has a 211G will understand, I hope, what I will attempt to describe........  there is a plate held by two screws that fits over the dogs that move the material..... that plate has a small slot underneath that holds the 1/8 protruding tang from the hook bobbin holder and keeps it stationary.  During the looping of the thread over the bobbin the 138 thread has to slide in the limited space/clearance of the tang and the slot in the top plate..... mine gets hung up and does fancy birdnest....... the stitching knot never gets completed.....and jams.

I have tried raising the top plate by inserting a small strip of the canvass (at both ends) I am using as a shim thereby slightly raising the top plate to give clearance for the thread.....  did not work.......

The dog has been replaced with a new one with good teeth.

All my test are done with two  layers of heavy canvass....thick enough to hide the large thread.

Is it feasible to carefully hone the clearance on the plate with the inset for the tang to allow larger thread or am I butchering the machine....... could buy a new top plate to try the honing approach

Am I going to be limited to using thread size under 120???????

I have not tried  any more adjustment on the tension as I can't sow..........

Fall back plan for now is to use T70 Olive drab thread bonded nylon and play with the tension to match the thread size....

UPdate...... after some fiddling I have the 211G set up for T70 bonded nylon.......... just needed to readjust the tension.......

BUT....... my goal is to be able to use the#138 beige thread and possibly my 207 Beige to reproduce the old heavy cotton sewing of the 1940s.........

Do I need to shop for a heavier machine???????

1 hour ago, rac1812 said:

Do I need to shop for a heavier machine???????

My thought is that's probably a good idea.

kgg

It would certainly be easier if you had a machine designed to handle #207 thread. Most upholstery-class machines are, in general, designed to handle #69 although some can use #138. Anything above that is problematic. And it sounds like you WILL need a heavier-duty machine for your next stage - or hand-stitch it!

You mention that thread is slipping between the tang and the needle plate locating slot?  If we're talking about the same thing then something's definitely wrong as the thread shouldn't go anywhere near that slot.

My Singer 211G156 can sew with #138 thread, once in a while. Mostly, I keep #92 thread in it and use #19 or 20 needles. I got it to clear #138 thread by moving the hook assembly slightly away from the needle, then adjusting the latch opener lever that pulls the bobbin case back as the top thread goes under the tab that fits under the throat plate. If the pull back doesn't happen, the thread can jam in the tab.

Is there any sort of museum nearby who happens to have a class 7 Singer or something equivalent standing around that you could maybe be allowed to use? Or how about the local Canadian Armed Forces? It couldn't hurt to ask them, if they still have a repair shop for stuff like that, and if they do still have a heavy duty sewing machine, I couldn't see it hurting anybody that you sewed your canvas on it. It isn't like you are asking permission to gain access to the fire control center of a frigate :-)

Or a local tarpulin / canvas shop might have some old heavy duty machinery standing around that they rarely use anymore. You could ask if they would be OK with you doing the sewing and paying them some sort of fee for using the machine.

A third option is to ask in here in a new thread if anyone in your area has got a heavy machine that they'd let you use. 
I'd be happy to let you use mine, but due to the distance it won't help much. But if someone else has got something standing around it might be worth asking.

Brgds Jonas

@rac1812  When you 1st start sewing do you hold onto the needle thread for the 1st 3-stitches?

Will try to answer al of the above........ Yes I may need a new machine that can handle at least 138 or better still up to 207........   have to rationalize the expense since I am doing linited number of parts for my truck restoration.... a hobby not a bread earning proposition.....

The idea of borrowing the use of a machine may be more practical ..... there are a few shops left that caters to truckers and for boat covers and will look them up.... they may be a good source for buying used machines or even paying to have the limited sewing I need done........  it just that I enjoy the satisfaction of doing it myself.......approaching the Canadian military is like..... the poor sods  might want to use my machine !!!

To Bob Kovar..... yes I have learned the hard way that if you do not hold on to the threads you usually pull out of the needle and have to rethread the needle....which means removing my eye glasses, squinting and using a metal wisker device to rethread the needle.....

Now to get technical......... for both Wizcraft and Bob.......    as I can easily slow down my machine to single stitches ......I have observed.... with the steel sliding cover removed.... that the hook turns clock wise and picks up the thread from the needle....and said captured thread slides over the bobbin completely to do the stitching knot........ and repeats for the next stitch....... as it passes over the hook/bobbin holder it eventually slides over the "tang" that is held in place by the slot in the underside of the needle plate......... on my 211g it seems that the space/clearance for the thread to slide through is fine for #90 thread but does not allow the 138 to slide past the tang and a bird nest develops.......... the thread seems to slide on top and past the bobbin latch but gest hung up on the "tab or tang".......

Dikman and Keith...... as best as I can observe the thread loop over the bobbin and slips bet ween the tab/tang and the bottom slot of the needle plate..... but will look again....

Is there a way to increase the clearance on the tab/tang by honing the tab and or the needle base plate???   I have ordered a new needle base plate in case I f&&* up the the one I have.......

I just want to much to use the beige 138 thread I have as it really resembles the old stitching of the original side curtains.....

Wizcraft.... when you say moving the hook assembly slightly to give more clearance for the tang....... how did you do that????   when you remove/replace the total hook assembly is there and adjustment that allows movement.....I remember just dropping the newer one in as a single unit reassembled then fined tuned the hook itself by tapping the hook and looking at the process very slowly while hand turning.....making sure there was no burr on the hook......  I  may have missed that fine adjustment when installing the whole hook unit..... and I do have a new one as spare.....

Thanks for all you help guys.... not easy to solve this kind of issue by texting...... much appreciated.

Bob C

One more question.........   some one else is using a bigger thread on a 211G ............ is there a big difference in using 135 "poly" as opposed to 138 bonded nylon??????

Advantages VS short comings......

Found my answers....did a search on Google and it referred me to previous Forum posting......ain't technology wonderful.....

Edited by rac1812

@rac1812 Slightly loosen the 2 screws on the small hook gear & see if you can get the hook to lower,if it won't move down you could grind out the slot on the bottom of the needle plateTry to increase the size of the slot from front to back(grind on the front side) & try not to take any metal off of the top of the slot.