wolvenstien

Work in progress

As most of you know i have been toying with different ideas for my bike.... still working on my seat which is a different story....

I wanted to do some sort of major braiding on my bike... but wanted to start simple since I know jack about braiding.... Sitting here looking at my bike trying to figure out what I wanted to do, in conjunction with the Kevin King post he made showing the leather wrapped foot pegs... I decided I wanted to try braiding my hand grips. I got the Braiding Leather book and tried a few of the methods in it, but ended up going with the more simpler method shown in the pix below. I kind of like the natural color of the veg tan with the black.... but I would like input from you all as to what you think with the color of the bike... when i do my seat, i will go off this input for the colors too and make all the leather match.

I did this with the veg tan wet and I know, I need to redo it with the lace tighter and closer to the other but I want to show this now before I redo it to see what you think.... I dont want to re do it if you all shoot it down... LOL

Hand_Grip_Braid_001.jpg

Hand_Grip_Braid_002.jpg

Hand_Grip_Braid_003.jpg

Hand_Grip_Braid_004.jpg

post-834-1199821000_thumb.jpg

post-834-1199821012_thumb.jpg

post-834-1199821018_thumb.jpg

post-834-1199821023_thumb.jpg

Edited by wolvenstien

I wouldn't change a thing. Those are way way WAY cool. nice job.

KK

Thank you Kevin, coming from you that is a complement.

I forgot to post a pic of the bike with the colors.... let me know what you think about the natural veg matching with the bike....

Bike_Colors_001.jpg

Bike_Colors_002.jpg

Bike_Colors_003.jpg

post-834-1199822027_thumb.jpg

post-834-1199822032_thumb.jpg

post-834-1199822036_thumb.jpg

Those are way kewl, and look very comfortable. I like the bib, and the bag too!

Thanks, I didnt do any bags, those are production bags, but I did the bib... reason it is so big is last winter I had her in the garage, and a 6 foot ladder fell... the very tip of the top corner hit the tank and put a decent noticeable dent into it...

Wolvie, I really like those handle wraps. I'd personaly would dye them a ligth color though, as they will be less likely to pick up dirt and be easier to clean when they do. One other thing too, if you were to bevel the edges just a bit, I think that would keep the edges from getting screwed up over time.

Ken

thank you ken. what color you thinking?

when you say bevil theedges, do you mean the two outer edges? or the edge on each weave?

I'm thinking a lighter Saddle Tan sort of. As to the edges, the ones that are between each weave, where you've cut it lengthways. You could even try to burnish them with a small dremel felt polisher.

Ken

Hi Wolvie,

Nice handles, the braiding looks really cool, I like it. As Beaverslayer says, to go good with the blue on your bike I would tan them, get them a warmer, light to medium yellowish/browninsh color to accent the cool blue.

Sooo missing my bikes:-( (many, many...Many years ago *S*)

Those handles seem to be excellent in giving a nice and good grip. Good thinking there.

They definitly are cool to look at too.

As many others I vote for getting some dye on them. Can't decide on colour or tone, just don't get 'em too dark.

Tom

I pulled out my Saddle Tan this afternoon and played with it.... this is what I got... I think it is too dark for these grips... what do you think?

Saddle_Tan_001crop.jpg

Saddle_Tan_002crop.jpg

post-834-1200202339_thumb.jpg

post-834-1200202343_thumb.jpg

Edited by wolvenstien

IMHO too dark. Just oil and the road will make them dark, sooner than you think. If you want them to have a little more character now, just add 1 part dye to 3 part oil

I'm with rdb as well, way to dark.

Also, if you're planning on doing that style of lacing, you should use a round hole that's just a bit smaller than the lace. With the slotted holes, your going to get "Lace Wear" and as you go along lacing, the lace gets thinner as you can tell from the picture. By using a round hole, the friction is far less, and your lace will pretty much stay the same width all the way along. I usually only pull about 5 feet of lace at a time as well, this also helps to reduce the friction wear as you're lacing.

Ken

Beave, you confused me, but I think I got you now... you are talking about the lacing in the saddle tan pic? Thats just a scrap piece that I used to practice round braiding the corners on... thats actually two different types of lace you are looking at. I will crop those pix and reupload them so no one else gets that confused.

The basketweave I did on the grips is fully cut from end to end on the veg tan and the 1 1/2 foot smooth calf lace was laced in in sections. I used about 4 pieces of 18 inch lace to do the basketweave on the grip.

ok- i dont want to throw any cold water on your idea or your execution - but i need to tell you this..

those grips are going to be uncomfy - on bare hands (which you should never ride with) and even moreso with

gloves on - too much material - edges and all - will be mighty uncomfy.

ironbraid.com (pic of his work att) is someone you might want to study if your interested in making a good product.

He did my levers on one of my bikes about 8 years ago - and they have taken a beating and are just now starting to come apart and show age

grips need to be smooth, maybe with a rib or two or some real tight lacing so you can lock you hand on -

but something woven like that will not be practical and will stretch out and get all distorted, forget about rain... just my experiences with things like this.... i have just a few miles on bikes.....lol

YMMV

steveb

Edited by steveb

Wolvenstien,

I don't know much about cool bike stuff, but for colors I was going to suggest the opposite of someone elses! I was thinking a dark wrap with lighter weaved laces. Dark brown and saddle tan come to mind. I hadn't considered the "feel" of the grip as Steve has noted, but I figured the darker colors would help hide dirt & wear better.

Browns in general would go better with the blue accents on the bike IMHO.

Brent

Ok, I think I have chosen a color.... let me know what you think please....

p_pad_001.jpg

p_pad_002.jpg

p_pad_003.jpg

This is a test of using Atom Wax as a finish.... what do you feel about using atom wax as a finish for a seat?

p_pad_color_with_atom_wax.jpg

post-834-1201113218_thumb.jpg

post-834-1201113260_thumb.jpg

post-834-1201113291_thumb.jpg

post-834-1201113357_thumb.jpg

Sorry, I totally overlooked mentioning what I used.... This is all tan fiebing antique paste.

Ok, I think I have chosen a color.... let me know what you think please....

p_pad_001.jpg

p_pad_002.jpg

p_pad_003.jpg

This is a test of using Atom Wax as a finish.... what do you feel about using atom wax as a finish for a seat?

p_pad_color_with_atom_wax.jpg

What did you do on the "inner"lacing? Is that 2 strands twisted together and a simple running stitch? Or staggered holes and 2 separate strands??? Really nice effect!!!

pete

I really dont know how to answer you Pete. I did a simple up over down under up over from hole to hole, and then a second strand was used to snake around and up through and around and up through each of the loops. Dont know if there is a proper name for this or not. Thanks for the kind words.

Mike

Looks real good Wolvie, and that inner lacing is real neat as well, I like it.

Ken

Hey Wolvenstein,

I like the color you chose. I totally dig the antiques. Of course, I use the Dark Brown on everything....I mean eeeevvverrryything...lol

I am going to do my grips as well. I am thinking of doing a plain center, maybe designed with stitched outter edges. I will match my seat and tank bra as well.

I was thinking of doing my headlight in this fashion too. I think this will go good with your bike too. I mean the color and grip style.

Tank_Shirt.jpg

The_Beast_Top_View.jpg

post-5519-1201155994_thumb.jpg

post-5519-1201156023_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spider

Wolvie, The grips look cool and comfie! The atom wax treatment looked great, I agree that hand sweat and wear and tear will give them a great "broken in baseball glove look"

just make sure they are treated first. Rub some oil, sno-seal or wax into those puppies and hold on tight! :red_bandana: Take care!