Hello! I'm new to leathermaking. I have no tools, no leather, or anything. I would like to dive into this hobby. I know that might be pricy, but I'm not too worried about it. I would like to know what to make first, how to practice, what tools to buy, and really just everything I should know! I would appreciate any help.

Welcome to the forum.

The easiest way for us to give you advice would be if you start by finding out what you would like to make :-) The tools, materials and techniques will be wildly different depending on what you would like to make.

That aside, I think the best move is to make something that you can and will use yourself. 
A belt is in my opinion an excellent starting project.

Materials needed:
Leather strap
Belt buckle
Thread in a colour that you like.

Tools needed:
Leather needles (2 pcs.)
Diamond shaped awl
Hobby knife
A block of cork that you can use as backing when making the holes.

Watch a Youtube video on how to make a belt and then get to it :-)

Good luck
Brgds Jonas

You could also try exploring leather stores near you. Not stores that sell ready made items but stores that sell supplies, like Tandy. You have not mentioned where you are located, else people might be able to guide you. Explore such stores and see what leathers you like and would like to work with. Employees in such stores are usually helpful and guide newbies well.  They usually have kits available, check them, try them and go from there. @Mulesaw has given excellent information for a beginner's project and you should be able to get all the supplies for a belt in such stores. Besides all this, the internet is a great resource. You can learn absolutely everything from there but you have to put in the effort to search and explore - not just what you want to make but how to do it. Start small and simple. 

Pick something you want or need, learn how to make it, and go from there. Don’t shoot for the stars on your first project, but also don’t undersell yourself. I started with a fold over knife sheath because I needed one for a knife, and have branched out and learned from there. I’m not naturally good with my hands, so it was tough for me to get into some things, like wallets, that have several components to them. Practice gets you a long way, as does being patient and being willing to accept less-than-perfect pieces as adequate expressions of your then-developed skill.

Mulesaw’s tool and supply list will get you going on a lot of projects. You can make nearly anything with those few tools. I’ll add that something to mark stitch hole spacing is beneficial. Even a dinner fork can be used, or a geometry compass/set of wing dividers.

Pick something, try it out, and then decide if you want to go all out. I’ve expanded from using a small set of tools like Mulesaw posted to using half my basement for this stuff. Dive in and explore! This group will answer questions readily, as long as they’re reasonably specific. 

1 hour ago, Mulesaw said:

Welcome to the forum.

The easiest way for us to give you advice would be if you start by finding out what you would like to make :-) The tools, materials and techniques will be wildly different depending on what you would like to make.

That aside, I think the best move is to make something that you can and will use yourself. 
A belt is in my opinion an excellent starting project.

Materials needed:
Leather strap
Belt buckle
Thread in a colour that you like.

Tools needed:
Leather needles (2 pcs.)
Diamond shaped awl
Hobby knife
A block of cork that you can use as backing when making the holes.

Watch a Youtube video on how to make a belt and then get to it :-)

Good luck
Brgds Jonas

Thank you so much!

Thank you so much everyone!

1 hour ago, SUP said:

You could also try exploring leather stores near you. Not stores that sell ready made items but stores that sell supplies, like Tandy. You have not mentioned where you are located, else people might be able to guide you. Explore such stores and see what leathers you like and would like to work with. Employees in such stores are usually helpful and guide newbies well.  They usually have kits available, check them, try them and go from there. @Mulesaw has given excellent information for a beginner's project and you should be able to get all the supplies for a belt in such stores. Besides all this, the internet is a great resource. You can learn absolutely everything from there but you have to put in the effort to search and explore - not just what you want to make but how to do it. Start small and simple. 

Thanks!

@MasonLikesLeather I forgot one important tool that you also need for making a belt: A hole punch. It can either be a revolving model or one that you hit with a hammer, but you need something to make holes in the belt for the prong of the buckle.

In your other post, you show some cuffs, if that is the thing you would like to make, then you can get far with leather, a hobby knife and a hole punch, plus a hammer and some rivets.
My dad liked to buy old veg tan leather in thrift shops. He would buy old veg tan leather bags and cut them up and use the leather for small projects like knife sheaths etc.
The leather shop that is nearest to my place sometimes have leather scraps in a bag where you pay per pound. The problem here is that you might not be able to make very big things, but for some projects that can also be ok.

A sheath for a pocket knife or a favourite chef's knife is also a fine starting project.

Like @SUP mentioned, you haven't told where you live. You can put that information on your profile, and that really helps people who will give advice on stuff like where to get leather or supplies or tools or classes etc.

I could point you out to some great classes at Laederiet in Denmark, but if you live in Oklahoma or Alaska, that will most likely not be of a great deal of help :-)

Brgds Jonas

1 hour ago, Mulesaw said:

@MasonLikesLeather I forgot one important tool that you also need for making a belt: A hole punch. It can either be a revolving model or one that you hit with a hammer, but you need something to make holes in the belt for the prong of the buckle.

In your other post, you show some cuffs, if that is the thing you would like to make, then you can get far with leather, a hobby knife and a hole punch, plus a hammer and some rivets.
My dad liked to buy old veg tan leather in thrift shops. He would buy old veg tan leather bags and cut them up and use the leather for small projects like knife sheaths etc.
The leather shop that is nearest to my place sometimes have leather scraps in a bag where you pay per pound. The problem here is that you might not be able to make very big things, but for some projects that can also be ok.

A sheath for a pocket knife or a favourite chef's knife is also a fine starting project.

Like @SUP mentioned, you haven't told where you live. You can put that information on your profile, and that really helps people who will give advice on stuff like where to get leather or supplies or tools or classes etc.

I could point you out to some great classes at Laederiet in Denmark, but if you live in Oklahoma or Alaska, that will most likely not be of a great deal of help :-)

Brgds Jonas

Thanks! I was hoping to make a belt for my dad. I know a gift probably wouldn't be my FIRST project, but it would be great. A knife sheath also seems quite simple. (correct me if I'm wrong)

A pancake knife sheath for a folding knife was one of my early projects.  There are lots of digital patterns on the internet.  The one I used was from tacktemplates.com.  One other thing to add to that basic tool set is a cork backed steel ruler.

2 hours ago, MasonLikesLeather said:

I was hoping to make a belt for my dad.

You can get pre-cut leather belts in most leather stores. Then, it is just a matter of shaping ends, punching holes, edge finishing and adding the buckle. Store employees will guide you on tools needed. You can make any decorations that you like but you might want to practice first. Simple edge lines are easy to make, with edge creasers, for example and look elegant. As @Mulesaw said, you can get scraps - they are perfect for practice!

2 hours ago, SUP said:

You can get pre-cut leather belts in most leather stores. Then, it is just a matter of shaping ends, punching holes, edge finishing and adding the buckle. Store employees will guide you on tools needed. You can make any decorations that you like but you might want to practice first. Simple edge lines are easy to make, with edge creasers, for example and look elegant. As @Mulesaw said, you can get scraps - they are perfect for practice!

Thanks!

2 hours ago, JDFred said:

A pancake knife sheath for a folding knife was one of my early projects.  There are lots of digital patterns on the internet.  The one I used was from tacktemplates.com.  One other thing to add to that basic tool set is a cork backed steel ruler.

Okay, noted!

welcome

it would help if you had a location in your profile.  many boards are GLOBAL now.

If you are in the USA you can google for leathercraft shops.  We have one nearby called TANDY.  here is their link...but you can look for a shop near you.  ours offere classes and such.  I was chatting with them and they more or less offer some "easy"/"beginners" projects to get you started and or if you have a specific project/thing to make, they maybe able to do a "class" around that.

https://tandyleather.com/

i would get some books on the subject.  I know no one uses books anymore, but you can read it and it doesnt require power or USB/data connection.   

I never got into the "tooling/carving" since i didnt have an "eye" for it.  I tried several times and in Jr. HS where i learned how to do this.   But if you want to start with the "easy" things.  I know what we did was to make some Key Fobs.  They are simple.  They did have some carving, but some were just leather tags with a hole and or some were teardrop shaped with a split ring riveted on the leather.

I made and use coin pouches that slide over my belt.  I dont know about you, but if you still use cash and receive change, the coins used to wear out my pockets.

you can look at "kits" if you want and if there are no shops, mail order.  

at one time, tandy had a starter kit with some projects like the key fobs and some basic tools.  I will let you do the fun part and start googling/reserching.

another thing.  IF you want and still use books, i would look for any bookshops in your area.  Even used books and or goodwill.  that is if you want to build up a reference library.  I have been downsizing and selling my books back to my local indepandant bookseller.

here are some photos...take or leave...

lifestyle1_001dd84d-d96a-44d1-b2e1-9ea62

two-pocket-coin-purse-kit-44102-00-1200_