I was getting ready to start my saddle restoration (replacing all the leather) when I had a thought.... 
So this might be a really stupid question and maybe it doesn't apply here but I don't want to mess up before I even get really started. 
When working with fabric, the patterns are suppose to be laid down with the grain of the material....

Is there a ceratin rule for laying out the saddle patterns when it comes to leather?

Thanks in Advance~
June

There is no grain direction with leather but there is stretch and you sometimes need to take this into consideration. The stretch is from the back bone to the belly, increasing as you get closer to the belly

There is minimal stretch along the back bone, that's why that section is used for good belts, again there is a slight stretch parallel to the back bone as you go towards the belly and towards the tail. There is minimal stretch in the shoulders, with some towards the legs

Edited by fredk

1 hour ago, ladyhawkjm said:

I was getting ready to start my saddle restoration (replacing all the leather) when I had a thought.... 
So this might be a really stupid question and maybe it doesn't apply here but I don't want to mess up before I even get really started. 
When working with fabric, the patterns are suppose to be laid down with the grain of the material....

Is there a ceratin rule for laying out the saddle patterns when it comes to leather?

Thanks in Advance~
June

I'm no saddle maker but I would assume that there is.  I have read about makers using the flank area to cover the swells because of the stretchiness.  Please bear in mind that I'm just repeating what I read.  I wonder if you might be better off posting this question in the saddles and tack area of the forum.  JM2C, Jim

What type of saddle are you restoring?  Western? English?  What is the purpose of restoration?  How old?  I don't know much about English saddles but most of the western saddles I have worked are not worth the expense of replacing all the leather.  The tree would have to be in pristine condition.  

There are areas of the hide that are better for certain parts of the saddle.  Do you have a picture of the saddle you are working with?

3 hours ago, ladyhawkjm said:

I was getting ready to start my saddle restoration

Moved your post to Saddle Identification, Restoration & Repair

Pictures of the saddle before I started breaking things down. It's an older Hereford, Serial number is behind the cantle.
saddle collage.jpg

Even though I bought a Circle Y from Handy's Saddle Shop, this saddle was the saddle I used to start my first horse and was given to be because "it would come in handy to use working green horses".  As you can see a few "accidents" are evident by the repairs that were made to keep it usable. 
This was a very comfortable saddle!

Thanks for the photos. It looks like it has been in some serious wrecks.  Personally I would not put all new leather on that saddle unless you are just wanting the experience.  I would inspect and see what you are up against.  From the pictures it looks pretty rough.  Is the tree damaged?  I know it has some sentimental value so If everything checks out and seems okay I would clean, oil, repair or replace the small items, damaged areas and missing items (stirrup hobbles for one).  If you are ambitious you might put a new seat in it.  Still you can get a saddle like that in good condition for $300-$600.  

The two wrecks we had were not too serious...  No injuries to my horse or myself or the ground for that matter, just the saddle and a hard hit to my self esteem :)
I did buy some 5-6 oz leather to replace all the leather but found leather weight should have been at 12+...  Guess I should have asked you guys first!  Not a complete waste as there are other things I can use the lighter weight for.  So now I am putting my saddle off until next year while I practice getting used to my swivel knife and shading tools again.  I did buy some blanks and have a pattern in mind.  Hopefully by the time I get back to the saddle, I should have my "tooling" skills leveled up enough not to ruin the leather.  I do appreciate and want to thank everyone for your input!