I was getting ready to start my saddle restoration (replacing all the leather) when I had a thought.... 
So this might be a really stupid question and maybe it doesn't apply here but I don't want to mess up before I even get really started. 
When working with fabric, the patterns are suppose to be laid down with the grain of the material....

Is there a ceratin rule for laying out the saddle patterns when it comes to leather?

Thanks in Advance~
June

There is no grain direction with leather but there is stretch and you sometimes need to take this into consideration. The stretch is from the back bone to the belly, increasing as you get closer to the belly

There is minimal stretch along the back bone, that's why that section is used for good belts, again there is a slight stretch parallel to the back bone as you go towards the belly and towards the tail. There is minimal stretch in the shoulders, with some towards the legs

Edited by fredk

1 hour ago, ladyhawkjm said:

I was getting ready to start my saddle restoration (replacing all the leather) when I had a thought.... 
So this might be a really stupid question and maybe it doesn't apply here but I don't want to mess up before I even get really started. 
When working with fabric, the patterns are suppose to be laid down with the grain of the material....

Is there a ceratin rule for laying out the saddle patterns when it comes to leather?

Thanks in Advance~
June

I'm no saddle maker but I would assume that there is.  I have read about makers using the flank area to cover the swells because of the stretchiness.  Please bear in mind that I'm just repeating what I read.  I wonder if you might be better off posting this question in the saddles and tack area of the forum.  JM2C, Jim

What type of saddle are you restoring?  Western? English?  What is the purpose of restoration?  How old?  I don't know much about English saddles but most of the western saddles I have worked are not worth the expense of replacing all the leather.  The tree would have to be in pristine condition.  

There are areas of the hide that are better for certain parts of the saddle.  Do you have a picture of the saddle you are working with?

3 hours ago, ladyhawkjm said:

I was getting ready to start my saddle restoration

Moved your post to Saddle Identification, Restoration & Repair