DieselTech

Manual Strap Cutter Machine: Opinions/Recommendations

Guys & gals I would like to buy a strap cutting machine. 

Just curious if any of you have seen or used the TandyPro manual strap cutter. 

I'm curious if I can get by with it for a few years. 

Or is it junk?

Is there a better china/import brand option out there? 

Thanks. Any & all help will be greatly appreciated. 

phpOpTVbDAM.jpg

Well I just said "F" it & bought 1 of these strap cutters. I will let you know what I think of it in a few days if I get around to it. 

Lmao I got a Cobra 26 to assemble too. 

phpXCxRl9PM.jpg

I'll be interested to hear your experience...I'm unlikely to buy one any time soon, but am curious how well it works.  I did initially look for cheaper Chinese options, but didn't see anything comparable - they were all far more manual.

5 hours ago, Ingenero said:

I'll be interested to hear your experience...I'm unlikely to buy one any time soon, but am curious how well it works.  I did initially look for cheaper Chinese options, but didn't see anything comparable - they were all far more manual.

As soon as I get around to installing the cutters blades. I will report back with my thoughts. I did watch this guy cut saddle skirting with it & I know it wasn't designed for that. But it did cut the 14-16oz leather saddle skirting.  

Sorry I didn't have the opportunity to respond to the first post but likely it's a good machine.  I bought a strap cutter from Weaver's years back and resembles yours a lot.  I'm more than happy with it.  Takes some getting used to if you want to split directly from a side. Best bet is to hand cut a wee bit more than you need from the side and then run it through.  A little waste but you've no "wonky" straps!

Edited by THein

2 hours ago, THein said:

Sorry I didn't have the opportunity to respond to the first post but likely it's a good machine.  I bought a strap cutter from Weaver's years back and resembles yours a lot.  I'm more than happy with it.  Takes some getting used to if you want to split directly from a side. Best bet is to hand cut a wee bit more than you need from the side and then run it through.  A little waste but you've no "wonky" straps!

Thanks. Yeah I was going to hand cut a 10-12" wide strip out of the side of leather.

Then run it thru the strap cutter for whatever given width I need. 

On 9/21/2024 at 9:04 AM, DieselTech said:

As soon as I get around to installing the cutters blades. I will report back with my thoughts. I did watch this guy cut saddle skirting with it & I know it wasn't designed for that. But it did cut the 14-16oz leather saddle skirting.  

I would just check that the gears are not plastic ones as I have seen some models have them and do not last long cutting thicker than recommended.

26 minutes ago, DieselTech said:

Thanks. Yeah I was going to hand cut a 10-12" wide strip out of the side of leather.

Then run it thru the strap cutter for whatever given width I need. 

This video I did a little while ago could help you on this - https://youtu.be/Q3cVOtCNjEg?si=xrCJA5Rep8YEl89Y

Edited by RockyAussie

37 minutes ago, RockyAussie said:

This video I did a little while ago could help you on this - https://youtu.be/Q3cVOtCNjEg?si=xrCJA5Rep8YEl89Y

Thanks. I appreciate it. I watched that video here recently. Then went to a metal fab shop & purchased a 8ft section of 1½" stainless steel flat strap. 

Ok guys & gals, I finally got around to testing the TandyPro manual rotary strap cutter. 

It is definitely a keeper. This cutter is nice. If you set it up, according to the manual. 

Here is some 10-12oz Hermann oak latigo. Cut it like butter. Awesome!!!

Decided to really test the machine out. This is 14-16oz Hermann oak saddle skirting. Cut it like butter! Awesome machine for the money. 

phpXF5dEbPM.jpg

phpw7oX5lPM.jpg

phpde0BZ9PM.jpg

phpfetwESPM.jpg

phpr9mNiGPM.jpg

12 hours ago, DieselTech said:

Awesome machine for the money.

Looks like it does a nice job. All you need to do now is change the hand crank to a pulley and strap a servo motor on.

kgg

1 hour ago, kgg said:

Looks like it does a nice job. All you need to do now is change the hand crank to a pulley and strap a servo motor on.

kgg

I have thought about doing that. A speed reducer & a 750watt brushless servo motor. 

My only real gripe is, I think they should have included more material fingers that holds & separates the leather from the rollers/cutters. 

1 hour ago, DieselTech said:

My only real gripe is, I think they should have included more material fingers that holds & separates the leather from the rollers/cutters. 

Maybe consider get some extras or having a couple 3D printed.

kgg

I'm following this conversation. Definitely interested.

Only thing that would be hard to source is a v-belt pulley with a square drive. That is if a did decide to try & motorized it. 

On 10/12/2024 at 9:48 PM, DieselTech said:

That part of the setup is a bit silly really. If the fingers were made out of something heavier (3mm or 1/8") and with a longer back section they would not need to be spaced and locked in place. The weigh at the back would let the front part ride against the cutter shaft. I have an old machine like that and to change position I just lift the finger forward and move it sideways to where I want it. 5 seconds to change each finger.

28 minutes ago, RockyAussie said:

That part of the setup is a bit silly really. If the fingers were made out of something heavier (3mm or 1/8") and with a longer back section they would not need to be spaced and locked in place. The weigh at the back would let the front part ride against the cutter shaft. I have an old machine like that and to change position I just lift the finger forward and move it sideways to where I want it. 5 seconds to change each finger.

Yes that is the only big gripe with this machine. The stupid finger set up they used. It's a PITA. But I'm happy with it. 

It sure beats cutting straps by hand & a knife. 

I already got plans to modify/fabricate a new finger setup. Using heavier material for the fingers & either lock collars or round turn buckle clamps.