DieselTech

Ordered a Cobra Class 26 : Couple questions

Guys & gals I finally broke down & ordered me a Cobra class 26 for lighter projects & materials. 

I'm curious what feet this machine uses. I'm looking for a piping feet?

I would also like to know what is the best option for edge binding?

I think the other thing i am looking for is called a hemming set. 

Any & all help will be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks. 

So apparently the cobra class 26 uses Singer 111w155 feet. 

Is this true? Or can anyone verify this?

Thanks. 

You can order piping feet directly from Leather machine company. The Facebook groups Tips and Tricks for Cobra Class machines is a great source of information and troubleshooting help. Leather Machine company has good videos available at their website. Search youtube for Al Bane's videos, they are the best I've found.

42 minutes ago, PeterinID said:

You can order piping feet directly from Leather machine company. The Facebook groups Tips and Tricks for Cobra Class machines is a great source of information and troubleshooting help. Leather Machine company has good videos available at their website. Search youtube for Al Bane's videos, they are the best I've found.

Yeah I was hoping to find the piping/welting feet a bit cheaper. LMC gets $50/foot. 

If I got no other option, then I'll pay the price for the LMC feet. 

I am really hoping to find a binding attachment for the class 26.

Also like to find a rolled edge hemming plate & foot as well. 

Lmao after buying a class 4 & a class 26 I am trying to cheap out. 

Thanks. Much appreciated.

5 hours ago, DieselTech said:

I would also like to know what is the best option for edge binding?

You have two basic options:

i) 90 degree binders which are typically pretty expensive per binding tape size probably in the $70 USD range. The main advantage is you can get a tighter turning radius on bends.

ii) Inline binders which are relatively inexpensive per binding tape size probably in the $15 USD range. The main advantage is you can also use them on flatbeds.

Here is older version of what I done on a KOBE LS-1341 which is very similar to your Class 26 and it may give you some ideas. The binder has a swing away base. I use a similar setup on my 441 clone.

kgg

n2_9.jpg

n2_6.jpg

14 minutes ago, kgg said:

You have two basic options:

i) 90 degree binders which are typically pretty expensive per binding tape size probably in the $70 USD range. The main advantage is you can get a tighter turning radius on bends.

ii) Inline binders which are relatively inexpensive per binding tape size probably in the $15 USD range. The main advantage is you can also use them on flatbeds.

Here is older version of what I done on a KOBE LS-1341 which is very similar to your Class 26 and it may give you some ideas. The binder has a swing away base. I use a similar setup on my 441 clone.

kgg

n2_9.jpg

n2_6.jpg

Kgg do you know which binder attachment I need to order & do you know from where I can order it?

Amazon, sewing shop, I don't care as long as it is quality. 

Also if I want a 90° binder or I think some time they are referred to as a synchronized binder? Do you know what binder will work. 

Thanks. I appreciate your help. 

Would something like this work? It is a swing away double fold binder. Or do I want a single fold binder? 

Also if this will work, what feet setup do I get? 

I can make a adapter/attachment bracket if needed. 

Thanks.

Screenshot_20240912_213930_Chrome.jpg

Edited by DieselTech

53 minutes ago, DieselTech said:

Would something like this work? It is a swing away double fold binder. Or do I want a single fold binder? 

2 hours ago, DieselTech said:

Also if I want a 90° binder or I think some time they are referred to as a synchronized binder? Do you know what binder will work. 

It depends on how close the Class 26 is to a Juki LS-1341. I don't know if the Juki LS-1341 V type kit part number 21434857 would fit and even if it did the cost for the kit is really expensive probably in the range of plus $900 USD without any tape binder attachments. Also it was meant for 90 degree binders and I'm not even sure that attachment is still available for the Juki LS-1341.

The question then becomes do you really need the synchronizing feature plus the additional cost of the 90 degree binders??

I ran a lot of rolls binding tape through my LS-1341 clone and I would have had a hard job justifying the additional cost of the V type kit. I also did NOT change the feed dog / presser feet/ needle plate as recommended by a lot of people. The way I figured it was that when you use a flatbed you don't have to change those parts to do binding so why on a cylinder arm ??? One minute I would be binding the next I would slide the swing away binder out of the way and continue on doing something else. By not making those part changes, in my case, I eliminated unnecessary tinkering with he feed dog / presser feet/ needle plate. Your results may differ. Also just like thread tension you still have to get the back tension on the tape correct, too tight or too slack and the result will look awful.

What are you planning on binding, using raw edge binders or double fold binders, how thick and wide is the binding tape you want to use????

53 minutes ago, DieselTech said:

Yes they will work that is a similar style binder and swing away bracket. But and it is a big but they are meant for flatbed machines and you need to have some type of an adapter to mount them correctly to a cylinder arm. I have not seen any of the aftermarket table tops wooded or metal that will accommodate this type of attachment. So you will need to come up with something. That unit you referenced is made of two parts the swing away bracket and the binder. A single fold binder is also called a raw edge binder as it just folds the tape in half while a double fold binder folds the tape in half and then folds each side again to give a nice finished  edge. The typical sizes available for the inline binders for raw edge or double fold range from 1/2" to 2" once you go above that you are into custom folders and they are expensive. The cost I think for the one you referenced is a little high as you can get them much cheaper off places like Ali Express for a 1/3 of the price. In my experience they do the job just as good as the more expensive ones but may not be as pretty.

kgg

21 minutes ago, kgg said:

It depends on how close the Class 26 is to a Juki LS-1341. I don't know if the Juki LS-1341 V type kit part number 21434857 would fit and even if it did the cost for the kit is really expensive probably in the range of plus $900 USD without any tape binder attachments. Also it was meant for 90 degree binders and I'm not even sure that attachment is still available for the Juki LS-1341.

The question then becomes do you really need the synchronizing feature plus the additional cost of the 90 degree binders??

I ran a lot of rolls binding tape through my LS-1341 clone and I would have had a hard job justifying the additional cost of the V type kit. I also did NOT change the feed dog / presser feet/ needle plate as recommended by a lot of people. The way I figured it was that when you use a flatbed you don't have to change those parts to do binding so why on a cylinder arm ??? One minute I would be binding the next I would slide the swing away binder out of the way and continue on doing something else. By not making those part changes, in my case, I eliminated unnecessary tinkering with he feed dog / presser feet/ needle plate. Your results may differ. Also just like thread tension you still have to get the back tension on the tape correct, too tight or too slack and the result will look awful.

What are you planning on binding, using raw edge binders or double fold binders, how thick and wide is the binding tape you want to use????

Yes they will work that is a similar style binder and swing away bracket. But and it is a big but they are meant for flatbed machines and you need to have some type of an adapter to mount them correctly to a cylinder arm. I have not seen any of the aftermarket table tops wooded or metal that will accommodate this type of attachment. So you will need to come up with something. That unit you referenced is made of two parts the swing away bracket and the binder. A single fold binder is also called a raw edge binder as it just folds the tape in half while a double fold binder folds the tape in half and then folds each side again to give a nice finished  edge. The typical sizes available for the inline binders for raw edge or double fold range from 1/2" to 2" once you go above that you are into custom folders and they are expensive. The cost I think for the one you referenced is a little high as you can get them much cheaper off places like Ali Express for a 1/3 of the price. In my experience they do the job just as good as the more expensive ones but may not be as pretty.

kgg

Thanks kgg. I was thinking a 1" raw edge binder. I'm hoping to use some thin leather binding tape so to speak. 

Idk but I wanted to use it on edges of totes & such. Both canvas & leather & a mixture of the 2. 

Yeah I looked at the 90° binder set up for my cobra class 4 & I think it was about $700-800 dollars. I said the heck with that. 

I would like to be able to edge binding & do piping with the cobra class 26. 

Sorry for being such a newbie to this machine sewing. 

I'm hoping to learn a few things here. 

6 hours ago, DieselTech said:

Sorry for being such a newbie to this machine sewing. 

I'm hoping to learn a few things here. 

We all got to start somewhere.

Basic parts of binding:

i) tape binder (folder) ----- inline or 90 degree style in single or double fold for the size of binding tape

ii) binder to machine attachment ----- either bracket or table mounted 

iii) binding tape --- fabric, webbing or leather in various sizes in spools or the more common rolls in typical sizes from 1/4" to 2" widths in cotton, nylon, polyester

iv) binding tape holder ----- vertical or horizontal style

kgg

19 hours ago, DieselTech said:

So apparently the cobra class 26 uses Singer 111w155 feet. 

Is this true? Or can anyone verify this?

Thanks. 

yes uses 111 style feet

39 minutes ago, shoepatcher said:

yes uses 111 style feet

Thank you. I will order a set 111w feet & see if they work for me. 

$50 a set from LMC seems a bit stiff in price to me. Hopefully I won't have to re-adjust a bunch of things to use the 111w feet. 

Thanks. 

that seems high for generic feet set

glenn

22 minutes ago, shoepatcher said:

that seems high for generic feet set

glenn

Here is the set I am going to try. I can get all welting feet in a kit. IDK if they are worth a darn, but I'll give it a try. 

Screenshot_20240916_154722_Chrome.jpg

Dang LMC did not "F" around when shipping my Cobra class 26. It is suppose to arrive somewhere between 7-11am. 

Might get it in the shop & set up. Hopefully. 

How do you think the class 26 will handle 18oz waxed canvas? I would like to make some waxed canvas & leather totes. 

Dang sucker's were here b4 6:30am this morning. 

Cobra 26 all bundled up. 

phpitlWe0AM.jpg

Edited by DieselTech

0630 - that's a bit uncivilized.

That red car looks like it's run into the tree.:blink:

20 minutes ago, dikman said:

0630 - that's a bit uncivilized.

That red car looks like it's run into the tree.:blink:

Yeah it hasn't moved for a long time. 

Tell me about! I'm glad I set my alarm for 6am. 

I have almost got it assembled.

They delivered it with a lawn mower?

54 minutes ago, bruce johnson said:

They delivered it with a lawn mower?

Yeah! Took them 3 months to get here!!! at 7mph!

No the freight company that delivers, I have them just sit in the trailer. Makes it pretty easy off a lift gate. 

Does anybody know where this piece goes on a cobra class 26? 

Looks like a bracket and or a actuating lever of some sort. 

Thanks.

phpkd0pxjPM.jpg

10 hours ago, DieselTech said:

Does anybody know where this piece goes on a cobra class 26? 

Looks like a bracket and or a actuating lever of some sort. 

Thanks.

phpkd0pxjPM.jpg

That is the foot lifting lever. It mounts somewhere along the back of the head with a large bolt holding it in place. There may also be a spring that goes over it to force it to stay down until you want to lift the feet using the floor foot lift pedal. There may be a chain feeding down with S clips to connect it at both ends.

26 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

That is the foot lifting lever. It mounts somewhere along the back of the head with a large bolt holding it in place. There may also be a spring that goes over it to force it to stay down until you want to lift the feet using the floor foot lift pedal. There may be a chain feeding down with S clips to connect it at both ends.

@Wizcrafts so if I am reading & understanding this correctly. That black lever/bracket is something to do with the chain foot lift? 

I took a couple pics of my machine, because im still at a loss. 

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it. 

phpl4EX1sAM.jpg

phpoTlkXMAM.jpg

phplJDyC3AM.jpg

Ok I think I figured where that extra bracket/lever goes on the class 26. I think it might be for or to offer a different lift option for the foot. 

Possibly for a knee lift setup. 

Here is couple pics. 

phpWAP0KlPM.jpg

phpLcv3eoPM.jpg

1 hour ago, DieselTech said:

Ok I think I figured where that extra bracket/lever goes on the class 26. I think it might be for or to offer a different lift option for the foot. 

Yes this is a presser foot lever extension to provide more leverage so the effort to rise the presser foot up is reduced. As with all levers the longer the lever is from the pivot point the effort to lift the load which in this case is the presser foot will be less. On most Juki Class 341 clones that don't use the pedestal stand the Presser Foot Lift and Go pedals are or can be adjusted farther back at the base of the stand to take full advantage of the extra leverage the extension bracket provides. The other Class 341clones can also be setup like the Cobra with the Lift Cable / Chain connected inside the base of the machine. The Cobra setup on a pedestal stand will require a little more effort to raise the presser foot.

kgg