Brokenolmarine

Sheath for a Boot Knife

Tried my hand at a boot knife, just to see how it would turn out.  New technique for me, rolled pins.  I wasn't completely happy with the result, but I'll get better at those.  The copper bolsters were made from barstock.  The blade came from Jantz Knife Supply. (knifemaking.com)  I have arthritis and can't even think about forging my own blades.  The sheath  will allow the wife to carry the blade as she moves around the farm doing her morning routine and checks on the coops and the barns throughout the day.  She likes it. :yeah:

Front view:

1431310469_18FinishedFrontview.thumb.jpg.5dd60cb72379ea0da6213828f8249a8b.jpg

Required back view:

1466889321_19theback.thumb.jpg.ad06b667e5ebb99fd21c89726884c9f1.jpg

1225667305_20Thepair.thumb.jpg.55f4ae0caac687cdc068bd8e029b44bf.jpg

The knife fits tightly, and the boot will provide additional pressure to hold it in place.  B)  It's hand stitched and I used my stitching pony, which I recently mounted on a base to make things easier.

1237870820_stitchingponymounted.thumb.jpg.5abefe28da42191b78cbf49a9f0d0cfb.jpg

prior to mounting on the base I either had to clamp it to the table or workbench or hold it under my thighs.  This is SO much easier.

Very nice, they go well together! What stamp did you use on the border at the stitch line?

Nice looking pig sticker! You done a nice job. 

Is that what Jantz calls the Coffin boot knife?

Did the stag come from them too.

Did you use a pebble backgrounder for the border? 

Beautiful work. 

3 hours ago, DieselTech said:

Nice looking pig sticker! You done a nice job. 

Is that what Jantz calls the Coffin boot knife?

Did the stag come from them too.

Did you use a pebble backgrounder for the border? 

Beautiful work. 

The boot knife from Jantz is their SS444 Razor Edge Boot Knife. (Pg 20 in the new catalog)  The background stamp I used along the stitch line was a craft tool E294

I like this tool because it adds texture, but not too much.:yes:

Edited by Brokenolmarine

3 hours ago, rleather said:

Very nice, they go well together! What stamp did you use on the border at the stitch line?

Craftool E294.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, Brokenolmarine said:

Craftool E294.  Thanks.

Thanks for the tool number, time to go shopping.

2 hours ago, Brokenolmarine said:

The boot knife from Jantz is their SS444 Razor Edge Boot Knife. (Pg 20 in the new catalog)  The background stamp I used along the stitch line was a craft tool E294

I like this tool because it adds texture, but not too much.:yes:

Thanks. Yeah that is the tool I keep forgetting to order when on tandys site. 

Thanks again for the tool#

Nice job on both, the colour sort of matches the handle.:specool:

As an aside, that knife would get you arrested here.:rolleyes2:

Most knives are legal in Oklahoma, switchblades included.  I think ballistic knives are illegal.  I owned a couple switchblades throughout my LE career, but rarely carried anything but my Benchmade folder.  It was faster than a switchblade and did the jobs I needed done better.  I bought it around 1995 and they are now discontinued, but It's still my Daily Carry Knife.

1647063927_benchmadeElishewitz875sbtSentinel.thumb.jpg.740c2bc55a1c1aac839758d76269bc36.jpg

These days it looks old, worn, scarred, beat up, and well used.  Oh, wait, So Do I.

:yeah:

Edited by Brokenolmarine

18 hours ago, Brokenolmarine said:

These days it looks old, worn, scarred, beat up, and well used.  Oh, wait, So Do I.

:lol: I sometimes feel the same way. I have a nice collection of pocket knives but I can't carry one without a bloody good reason or I'll be charged with carrying an offensive weapon! Such is the parlous state of laws in Australia.

That boot knife is a great way to carry a knife if you wear boots, it doesn't get in the way but is readily available when needed. Oh, and I didn't mention that I like the stag handle, they just look "right" on a knife.

I love stag handles on knives and guns.  I had a pair of spalted maple grips made from a tree we cut down on our old farm and I seasoned for about two years.  Then I made several knives from the same tree.  They turned out awesome.  They look almost like stag at times.

1288583300_05maple2.thumb.jpg.ef978c6f0770fb3f4cdf476e82ac07e2.jpg

Later I changed the screws in the maple grips on the gun as I thought they looked better black.

1845827408_newscrewscomp.thumb.jpg.3f918e57f8c958838233371bb29ca914.jpg

The Gun in the pic is my Match 45.  It's a Springfield Armory Frame and Slide, but nothing else is factory.  The rest is after market match grade built by our PPC Gunsmith back in my Competition days.  Worth every penny.