Sign in to follow this  
Warren

Mexican Loop holster

I just finished this Mexican Loop holster today. That's a Ruger Single Six convertable in the holster for you gun afficianados. The gun belongs to my brother. Now I just have to make the cartridge belt to go with it. At least the holster and belt aren't his Christmas present. If they were I would be in trouble since I won't have the belt finished in time, LOL. Oh well, back to the grindstone.

singlesix01a.jpg

singlesix02a.jpg

post-5168-1197844204_thumb.jpg

post-5168-1197844232_thumb.jpg

Very nice man. I love the look and color. Can't wait to see the belt that goes with it.

Hey Freak, glad you like it. Oh and don't hold your breath on the belt. It may be a while coming LOL!

I'm not a fan at all of geometric stamping when it comes to leather. But I have to admit that you did a great job I love the look!

pete

Looks pretty damn authentic to me...

Warren,

I love what you're doing. Very nice.

Nice looking holster and tooling job.

Randy

i just added that picture to my picture file on the right way to make stuff,,thank you for posting

Appreciate all the positive comments. I've been trying to keep the gunleather I make as authentic as possible. When most of what you make is for friends and family that's fairly easy to do. As in they're getting it for free so nobody complains! Or at least not very loudly, LOL. The color is just Fiebings antique leather dye/medium brown. I like it and it isn't hard to get the results I'm aiming for, as in old looking. Thanks again and glad you guys like it.

Great looking holster. very authentic. For anyone that's a western holster fan, get the book titled Packing Iron Gunleather Of The Frontier West by Rickard C, Rattenbury. There are hundreds of pictures of authentic western holsters some going back to pre civil war times. It's an excellent book with very good photography and many vintage pictures. It's surprising how ornate some of the holsters were. Cowboys back then also liked beautiful gunleather.

John

Warren,

Great Job! Nice touch with the stitching all around! Great Color! Thanks for posting!

Warren, great looking holster. Where did you come up with that pattern? I would imagine putting that Mexican loop together...there must be a secret to it, else you can get the thing all scrambled up. Do you have to have it good and soaked b4 you push it through the loops??

Warren nice job did you have a patern or did you make it yourself, Don

Hey everyone , really appreciate the enthusiasm. Gunfighter is right about "Packing Iron". I have it and it is the absolute authority on historic western gun leather. As for the pattern, there wasn't one. Now let me explain that. I have several of Will Ghormley's pattern packs. Unfortunately they are all for fixed sighted, full-sized single action revolvers. This is a .22 revolver, as in much smaller sized. So I took a manila file folder and used it to make pocket to fit the pistol. Then I just drew the outline of the holster until it looked "right". I thought I had made it a little over sized. It actually was just perfect, which means I got lucky,LOL. Oh well I rather be lucky than good any day. Oh yeah, and to answer Rayban"s question, no it was actually dry when I put the body thru the loops. I wet formed it to the pistol, then stained and finished it. Ive found that staining after I wet mold softens the leather back up without causing it lose the molded form. Trust me it wasn't easy to put thru and it isn't something you want to do over and over, but it will go. Also the swell between the loops helps to lock it together and keep it from pulling back thru when you draw the gun. Speaking of drawing the gun, the fit on the pistol is tight enough right now that you can turn it upside down and shake it and the gun won't fall out (I tried it!). I want it that way to begin with because it will loosen up with time and use. Also this one isn't for competition use. If someone wanted a holster for cowboy action shooting that would be different. Anyway, thats my take on it. Hope I answered everybody's questions and I'm glad you guys like it! Thanks again.