Sign in to follow this  
MaxxEmpire

Introduction

I was quite pleased to find this board today. It was a crappy day in general as I was just feeling a bit jaded in the shop; unartistic and unmotivated. Not good when its your own business. So I thought I would look around for some like minded folks (leatherworkers mind you, not uninspired slackers as was my mood) Voila, I find this forum. I have already enjoyed browsing the catagories and have seen some beautiful works here.

Mainly I have been a mask maker although that was never my intent. I have always enjoyed working with leather and found out I especially enjoy sculpting and molding leather which lends itself well to masks. I also dabble in horse tack (mostly for my own horses) some apparel and the odd set of bracers now and then. Leather work has been my sole source of income now for 10 years and if I can keep my sanity will be so for years to come.

I have attatched a few samples of my work.

torquenstein_002.jpg

angela_in_blue_bandit.jpg

post-5520-1197945645_thumb.jpg

post-5520-1197945733_thumb.jpg

Welcome and I must say that is very interesting work you do! by all means post some more!

I second the call for more pics! That's clearly beautiful work you've posted already.

:welcome: It's great to have you here! -Alex

perrrrfect. First off welcome and i already love your work just from seeing the two pics. I want to make a mask alot like the one in you avatar for a friend. So get ready for some good ole Q & A. I'll be the Q part.

And by all means post more and throw up a link if you got it.

Welcome Maxx, good to have you here on the forum. I had a look at you're website, and I must say I am TOTALLY AMAZED. Some of those masks are jsut FANTASTIC. The Chief Head one I stared at for the better part of 10 minutes. Great work, and thanks for showing up and letting us see your work.

I know you are going to be asked a lot of questions, so don't be scared off.

Ken

Hi Maxx welcome to the forum, were glad you found us and i must say some fantastic works of art on you web page, Don

Welcome Maxx! Nice work! There are a few of us here from Georgia...I am in Jasper, GA

Tim

Thanks for the kind welcomes!

I am sure I will be asking many questions as well. I am really looking to doing more stiching on some heavier pieces as I have been having some fun doing some armour pieces. I wont get into in this post as I have yet to read all the posts already here on handstiching and machines.

I have added my web site link and here are a few more shots of what I have done in the past;

On my wife is a Mardi Gras mask/headdress it consisits of two pieces of leather. (2002)

The full face was made for the WWF wrestler "Dr. Death" for a single scene on the show RAW. (1999 I think)

Mardi_Gras_Queen.jpg

dr_deathc.jpg

post-5520-1197984155_thumb.jpg

post-5520-1197984187_thumb.jpg

Welcome Maxx

Im in Georgia as well but I just do leather craft as a Hobby. Very nice work thanks for sharing. Im in Fairburn.

Maxx, for those of us who might like to try a simple mask, could you explain the basics? I guess the main question is how to do the molding. I imagine you'd buy some sort of human head mold from a craft store and use that for the basic form. But how do you get the other contours, like the eyebrows, etc.?

I'd appreciate any info you're willing to share. :wave: Regards, -Alex

Terrific, world-class, imaginative work! I've seen a lot of masks in craft galleries, faires, and the like, but don't recall any with the dimensionality and structure yours have. More typical are simple shapes with simple molding. Yours have features, tapered tendrils (love to know how you do that), expression, hills and valleys, color, etc. And the variation is astounding!

Hey Maxx,

Greetings from the Golden Isles. Welcome to the board, and I am also looking forward to more photos.

Mike

Maxx, for those of us who might like to try a simple mask, could you explain the basics? I guess the main question is how to do the molding. I imagine you'd buy some sort of human head mold from a craft store and use that for the basic form. But how do you get the other contours, like the eyebrows, etc.?

I'd appreciate any info you're willing to share. :wave: Regards, -Alex

Thank you all for the very kind words!

My style of mask making is a bit unorthadox from the traditional wooden face mold method. Here is a very basic description of my method.

All my molding is done by hand and a few simple tools; Awl, ball point stylus, two different rounded ended handles of old paint brushes (one broad & one narrow) and a ball peen hammer.

I cut out the basic shape I want -including the eyes (this takes some practice to know just where they should go)

I case the leather.

I use my hands as the negative mold and the various points of the tools as the positives.

If I roll the edges I use the hammer for a little added umph.

I then twist, pull, stretch, compress, pinch, fold, etc. the mask into the desired shape. As it dries I try it on for basic comfort and adjust as nessessary.

For example; the eyebrows are raised by pinching the leather, then laying the raised ridge in the furrow of two fingers I clean up the line with the stylus from behind.

I do lots of detail work in addition and there is of course the dyeing and painting where I use both hand brushing and airbrushing for both.

But that's the basics.

-Maxx

PS-William, I am often in Fairburn for the faire there in the Spring.

Really great work. I'm also in Georgia, just north of Woodstock, Cherokee Co.

Amazing what you're doing. I showed my son (who has a band) and of course now he wants me to make him one. LOL I catch up first.

I just do this as a hobby and for friends.

I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Art

Really great work. I'm also in Georgia, just north of Woodstock, Cherokee Co.

Amazing what you're doing. I showed my son (who has a band) and of course now he wants me to make him one. LOL I catch up first.

I just do this as a hobby and for friends.

I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Art

Hi Art,

I have done several masks for guys in bands and it is really cool to see them in action on stage and in their videos.

-Maxx

Hi maxx

a friend from myspace maskers!!!

glad you found this forum.

I love your website and i am humbled by your work.

Looking forward to more pics

welcome