Sign in to follow this  
skipj

picture of holster

I was asked to post a picture of the holster I made it in a class I took at the SW leathercrafters show in Wickenburg AZ. I had asked for help in buying some tools required for the class and Johanna asked that I post a picture of the holster when it was finished.

I did most of it. Some of the sewing was done buy the instructors: John Bianchi and Matt, his associate. We made them in 3 days. A great learning experience. Most of the other 11 students did some stamping to theirs. One sewed hers by hand.

SkipJ

holster_from_class_1.jpg

post-331-1173994961_thumb.jpg

Very nice! And Bianchi for an instructor...that's awesome!

Very nice clean lines and work.

Regis

Skip, Just as a side bar question, did John B. ever use that fluid that he used to clean up the leather. If he did, do you know what it is? I believe he used it to clean up spill over from his edging. We saw this in his tape. Carl

Give John a call, he is easy to talk to and maybe Jim will know also. My guess is Ethyl Acetate.

Art

Skip, Just as a side bar question, did John B. ever use that fluid that he used to clean up the leather. If he did, do you know what it is? I believe he used it to clean up spill over from his edging. We saw this in his tape. Carl

Very beautiful! :thumbsup:

Only one complaint:

WHY GOD? WHY I'M NOT LIVING IN USA AND ATTEND CLASSES WITH PRO'S LEATHERWORKERS! :bawling:

Very beautiful! :thumbsup:

Only one complaint:

WHY GOD? WHY I'M NOT LIVING IN USA AND ATTEND CLASSES WITH PRO'S LEATHERWORKERS! :bawling:

I live in USA and don't know of a class within a thousand miles of home. :book:

Regis

Hi Regis,

There are Tandy stores in Atlanta and Montgomery which I'm sure Jim Linnell hits in his travels. Also Jim Simmons does some holster classes I think at Hidecrafter in Ft. Worth.

Art

I live in USA and don't know of a class within a thousand miles of home. :book:

Regis

Thanks Art. I really hadn't thought about Tandy store as there aren't any around here. But, I do go to Atlanta and Nashville a few times a year and should check their schedules. If I don't make Sheridan (probably not) I plan on going to Ft Worth for the Ifolg in the fall (and that's only 800mi).

Regis

Hi Regis,

There is also a Leather Factory in New Orleans, but I don't know what their status is.

Art

Thanks Art. I really hadn't thought about Tandy store as there aren't any around here. But, I do go to Atlanta and Nashville a few times a year and should check their schedules. If I don't make Sheridan (probably not) I plan on going to Ft Worth for the Ifolg in the fall (and that's only 800mi).

Regis

Thanks Art. Just got e-mail back from Nashville TL and they have classes every Saturday which makes it easy for me to plan. Mornings for beginner and after 2PM for more advanced. I don't know that they're committed to that all the time but, sounded like general thing. A few hours on some things would be a big help.

And, "if" our house ever sells, we're moving to Nashville.

Regis

We used "Goof Off" in a spray can in class. Looks like the stuff for getting latex paint off.

SkipJ

Art remarked of the Tandy stores in Atlanta and Montgomery. I've frequented the Montgomery store quite a lot and there are just no classes. The manager held a few last year and even gave me some one on one with lacing. He puts up flyers and mailouts but just doesn't get any response except from me and maybe one or two others. Just not enough interest I guess. Store does well enough on mail order to maintain. I visit Nick and show him some of my work, which he critiques, but he says there is just no interest in anything except holsters, knife sheaths and belts. That's fine but I like different.

Keep on Smilin

Jim

Edited by SmilinJim

I wish that there was a store closer to my place up in North Alabama or some of us that live close could get together and do a few things...

Regis, the Tandy Store manager in Nashville is Dave Howell, an old hand and an expert teacher. In Macon is the Georgia Leathercrafters Guild, which is a big drive, I know, but some great people. And you have all of us, as close as your keyboard, right here to hang out with, any time. One of my stepsons lives in Panama City Beach, is that anywhere near you?

Johanna

Thanks Johanna. I wasn't complaining as much as I was/am anxious to learn. Nashville makes sense for me because IF our house ever sell, we are moving to Nashville. Yes, Panama City Beach is only 90 miles but, a 3 hour drive (4-5 hours in tourist season).

Most of all this forum, you, and Clay have brought me from ( :blush: embarrassing 1st project to now, I'm up to beginner status. I've really learned a lot here and those "step-by-step" carvings that Clay did are tremendously helpful. With that said though, it would be nice to sit and carve under teaching/supervision and actually see how to....... You can bet that I'm one that will toss my current project into the contest ring if that materializes.

By-the-way, is there a way for my 1st picture posts to be deleted? :whistle:

Regis

Regis, the Tandy Store manager in Nashville is Dave Howell, an old hand and an expert teacher. In Macon is the Georgia Leathercrafters Guild, which is a big drive, I know, but some great people. And you have all of us, as close as your keyboard, right here to hang out with, any time. One of my stepsons lives in Panama City Beach, is that anywhere near you?

Johanna

I know how you feel on first work, but just look how much you have improved.

Gave a friend a wallet that was suppose to be a horse, but came out more like a very sick dog. Every time see him still shows me the wallet and brags about how good it is. I have offered him many others but will not take them. Leather doesn't last for ever I hope.

My dad refuses to let me make him a new panel for his briefcase (I'd made him one 16 years ago with oak leaves framing his initials). He's broken the case several times - like running over it with his truck once! He always insists I put the old panel on a new case. He tells me how many people rave about his special briefcase...even when I know I could do better now.