ClayB

Monthly floral pattern (March)

I decided to try putting both the floral and figure challenge patterns together and see how they would fit. I thought they looked ok, so I am going to try them on a small photo album (actual carving area, a little less than 5X7) I tried to scan my carving but it didn't turn out very well. I'll try and take a picture of it later and post it. But anyway, here is a pattern of them both together.

figure_and_floral.jpg

Ok, here's my attempt at carving this. I am not really happy with it, I HATE carving really small stuff and for me, this (at least the floral part) qualifies as small. I still have some cleaning up to do, and everyone here says I have to color it but I am not looking forward to that.

temp_110__Medium_.jpg

post-12-1204901535_thumb.jpg

post-12-1204906636_thumb.jpg

Jim, very nice work.

Scouter, don't give up so easily.

Really nice idea Clay...As always your carving is super.

So when do we see it in color? :thumbsup:

Well, seeing as how my floral carving leaves (pun intended) much to be desired, I decided I should attempt as many of these as possible. Sorry no Zebra yet for the other contest, that one intimidates me just a bit.

Anyways, heres my floral. As always I changed it up just a bit because I thought it needed it. (story of my life... always messin' up a good thing!

Critic away! Oh, and I even added some color! :thumbsup:

March_floral08.jpg

post-5734-1205193464_thumb.jpg

Edited by Froghunter

Participation in the February carving challenges was really better than I had expected, so we're going to try it again. This month's pattern is a Sheridan style corner pattern from Clay Miller. This pattern can be used on any project of your choice, or just on as a practice piece. As with last month, you can carve this however you like, modify the pattern to suit your needs or style. I hope that some of you will give it a try and share your pictures with us.

sheridan_corner.jpg

Clay,

Do you think this design could be un-sheridanized? I'm not asking you to do it, just if & how it could be done. I'm not that good at Sheridan, but passable in "normal" floral (or at least I think so). Anyway, your opinion?

Thanks,

Brent

(as it IS a challenge, perhaps I should at least attempt to do it in Sheridan at least once...)

Brent,

As with all the challenge patterns, you are free to make any changes you like to the pattern to make them more your own. Just about everyone changes a thing or two and I think that's great. It gives us all ideas. Sheridan isn't my thing either, but I decided to leave the pattern the way it was. To un-sheridanise it, I think you would just open the pattern up a bit and maybe make the leaves a little wider. We'll be waiting to see what you do either way.

I thought this one looked fun, I tried to keep all the basic elements in place and just come up with a little different version.

DSCN2497a.JPG

Jim,

I like!! I like how you made the pattern tighter and more professional looking.

ClayM.

Hi to all. I appologize for the late posting , but I've had loads of fun replacing the hard drive on my laptop and recovering what data I could. So, that said, here's my submission for the March floral design:

Image transferred, and first cuts made

humminbird1.jpg

tooling completed

humminbird2.jpg

and, the final product.

humminbird3.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Mike

post-5374-1207540721_thumb.jpg

post-5374-1207540777_thumb.jpg

post-5374-1207540844_thumb.jpg

this is great mike..love the bird..are you going to dye or paint it?

Beautiful work, Mike. Love the pattern and the way the scroll goes out of the frame.

It is remaining natural, with a nice coat of super sheen. It was a gift to my mom ( hummingbird lover), and since I'm still learning to color, I didn't want to mess it up. Also, from the closet-o-wonders, she found my old airbrush and brought it down when she visited. I didn't have time to relearn airbrushing, and dying, before she was scheduled to return home. So...natural it is. But, I have the patterns (overlayed the bird to the monthly challenge) and will probably do another once I get the color application down.

The only problem with doing hummingbirds is trying to get the little buggers to hold still while you sketch them!!!!!

here ya go scouter, i resized it so it is now 15cm x 21cm is that small enough?

sheridan_corner.jpg

Ah yes! Photoshop is but a marvel when applied to so many things.

Mike,

I like it! The really weird thing is that my wife suggesed I do the very same thing, adding a bird to the floral carving and make something for my mom. The first bird pattern that came to mind was a humming bird that Yaklady had sent me awhile ago. I haven't carved it yet, but seeing yours tells me I need to. I really like how the bottom leaf and scroll hang off the piece, thats a neat touch.

Clay