rickeyfro

Bucking Rolls

Got a question for you saddle pros, Im building a seat for a custom chopper with the name "Balls Out" Without giving away my idea, Im wondering what is used when making Bucking Rolls, I need something to form leather around in a semi sherical shape or two. But something with some give to it in case of sudden stop.

Got a question for you saddle pros, Im building a seat for a custom chopper with the name "Balls Out" Without giving away my idea, Im wondering what is used when making Bucking Rolls, I need something to form leather around in a semi sherical shape or two. But something with some give to it in case of sudden stop.

http://www.ranch2arena.com/buckrollforms.html

I have the Tack Accessory Pattern set from Tandy, it has a pattern for them. Never built any though....

The Kid

Most of us stuff them with horsehair or sheeps wool trimmed from the hide. You can make the shape any way you want and stuff as firmly as you want.

Keith

Thanks Keith, sheepswool sounds like it will work, I was also thinking of trying to emboss it and use the embossing powder, just kickin around some ideas

Has anybody ever stuffed them with a synthetic? I used to buy mine from Tip's and they were stuffed with a white synthetic fiber that most guys thought held up well and didn't get raggy.

I went to a branding one time and there was a guy riding a pair that were stuffed with some old white fishing string. I noticed them because the guy had worn through one side and turned them around. They were starting to fall apart but looked pretty hard still. I'm gessing it would be sorta like stuffing a pair with horse hair but maybe a little harder to compress. not sher how often a fisherman changes his line but the fly and reel shop would probly give you the old stuff if you wanted it........ Just a thought.

My favorite has always been the horse hair stuffed ones. Wool works to though and its a little easyer to come by if your doing alot of bucking rolls. It would be interesting to see somone try the fishing string and see how it turns out.

Jed

Edited by flathat4life

I used synthetic yarn to make an old time Corona saddle pad. I had a lot of scrap that I had trimmed off and saved it. I ended up using that to stuff my bucking rolls and they are holding up great.

Art

I got an email from a reader who said that the stuffing he uses is a some kind of synthetic fiber that is really fine, and looks like what he has seen from Tips. Apparently he has been using it for a few years and gets in a large box in the craft corner at Walmart. Packs in like wool, but doesn't seem to collapse like wool can do after a while. I'll call over to Tips and if so, I'll check out Walmart. I've got a few of Jeremiah's inserts to play with also. Kind of a shame to cover them up, they are attention getters hanging there in the shop.

The last pair I made (for myself) I packed the first one with horse hair and the second with Easter basket grass or what ever you want to call it. I cant tell the difference between the two and doubt the Easter grass will break down. the only down side is my wife always says she is going to tell the boys that it is filled with pink Easter grass. LOL

The synthetic fibre is probably fibrefill dacron. It is used to stuff some pillows, cushions, upholstery and teddy bears (kids, guard Ted with your life).

Barra

Edited by barra