TomBanwell

Commedia del Arte mask

All right, I'll admit this is the only mask I've made, but since others were showing theirs I thought I'd put mine in as well. As you can see it was getting late (closed eyes) and the the wearer had a cigarette burning like crazy.

The nose was sewn inside out and turned while cased. It's supposed to be one of the classical Italian commedia del arte masks.

Leathercommediamask.jpg

Wonderful stuff and nice colouring!

What cigarette, thought that was his beard, lol!

Tom

oooh, what a great nose!!!

now that's a lot of work! came out great!

Wonderful stuff and nice colouring!

What cigarette, thought that was his beard, lol!

Tom

Hmmmm, looking again it appears to be squished soap bubbles!?

Fabulous! That IS one of the classic Italian styles, and it turned out wonderful!

I never thought about sewing on the inside. I've always outstitched everything, but this is an idea for a future mask - specifically, a dragon. Thank you!

I thought the smoke was ruffles, part of the costume! In addition to being a great mask, it's a great photograph since we all see the smoke as something different : )

May I ask, why did you not make other masks?

~Tammy

I love this mask. I love the noses on these!!!!

Fabulous! That IS one of the classic Italian styles, and it turned out wonderful!

I never thought about sewing on the inside. I've always outstitched everything, but this is an idea for a future mask - specifically, a dragon. Thank you!

I thought the smoke was ruffles, part of the costume! In addition to being a great mask, it's a great photograph since we all see the smoke as something different : )

May I ask, why did you not make other masks?

~Tammy

Thanks, Tammy. I work in a wide variety of artistic media, leather being just one (see www.tombanwell.com for others). Actually I did make a mask of the beast from Beauty and the Beast many years ago, complete with ox teeth. Seeing your masks and the others on the board has inspired me to make another mask, probably of a minotaur. I think those ears would be wonderful to make! Can't wait to see your dragon!

Very nice work - this has the look and feel of traditional commedia. Zanni, perhaps? I do like the long-nosed masks.