2MadJacks

Mirror just Finished

Here is the mirror I just finished up today for a charity auction for a youth center here. This is the same project I was asking for critiquing on yesterday. Let me know what you think - good or bad. Enjoy, James

mirror_006.JPG mirror_009.JPG

post-7313-1239142039_thumb.jpg

post-7313-1239142051_thumb.jpg

I like it, that wood you used is a perfect fit. Gives it that old rustic look.

James.

I think it finished out very well. I like the design a lot, and hope it brings the bucks. Good job. You also have the same issue I did photographing the few I have done. The mirror usually reflects me taking the picture. Photo composition tips anyone?

I really like it. You did a very good job on it. Now can you explain to us what all you did as far as the leather goes. If you don't mind that is.

thanks

Turned out real good buddy

Great Job!! Nice design,,, Ed

Hello all, thank you so much for your kindness.

As for how it is laid out--- The base of the frame is just 1x4's the hair/on is 4.25 wide laid in from corner to corner with the outside hanging wrapped over the edge and stapled down after stitching. one the hair piece is measured out and just laid Not attached to the frame. Place the elbows square just a little shorter than you think so that in the end you can stretch it tight. Glue them and sew one corner at a time, measuring and laying it back out each time. then finally sew all of the top pieces in place (floral on mine). now you are ready staple it to the frame starting at ther corners and pull it tight to the next one. once the outside is in place pull the hair/on tight to the inside of frame and staple it close to the top face edge. then just add the outer/inner frame.

Note I am not very good at giving directions so if I lost you somewhere just let me know and I will try again.

I should also mention I got the ides from a site that Kowboyboots posted awhile back, Thanks James

leather_013.JPG mirror_009.JPG

post-7313-1239148225_thumb.jpg

post-7313-1239148238_thumb.jpg

Turned out great James!

Art

Well the auction didn't get the turn out they were looking for. My mirror only pull $65 and I am sick to my stomach about it. Since there was no reserve placed on anything. Oh well, guess I will live. :bawling::bawling::bawling: Maybe next time, James

Sorry to hear the news.... Bit it was for a cause you support :thumbsup: , so thats great. 

James,

We've all been there. There seems to be a lot of variation and no predicting what benefit auctions will do. My son is an auctioneer and has done 3 in the last two weeks in the same town. One had a good crowd, was up 1/3 over last year. Last Friday night the art auction was lighter attended, but the ones there brought their checkbooks and averaged a little over last year with fewer buy-backs. Yesterday a sell out crowd and seemed to be down with one marquee item off 2/3 vs. last year. You just never know.

I would look at your deal from a few angles. First off the youth center has $65 more than they had before and that is why it was there. Your name is out there. You have the experience of making it, and can probably do the next one smoother and easier, although the pictures look good. We'd all like to see our stuff sell great, and on another day it will. I have some standard kind of donation items I make to some groups. I have had the same item bring $300 and $2000 to basically the same crowd. I have had over the top stuff sell for half what I'd expect, and some average stuff outsell itself hugely.

Now a few things I do at a benefit auction - live or silent auction. I really do not want to have something sell for half value and then have to make another just like it to sell to a customer the next day. I consider what I pay at the auction to be a donation to a group I support and donate to anyway. I am not afraid to have someone bid on my item on my behalf. The auction staff at many benefits usually has a bidder or even several with the pre-sale proxy bids, reserve, and buy-back bids in their pocket. They will bid on it, call it sold, and the smooth ones will never show what is going on. If they don't have someone covering bids, have a friend bid on it for you. Nothing kills a benefit auction like an announced no-sale. Also sometimes there is only one person interested in an item. They make a low opening bid and then nobody challenges them. They get a bargain, and would have paid more. The organization doesn't get the proceeds they deserve.

There are some tax benefits for donations and some purchases with charitable groups. Check with a tax advisor on that.

James,

We've all been there. There seems to be a lot of variation and no predicting what benefit auctions will do. My son is an auctioneer and has done 3 in the last two weeks in the same town. One had a good crowd, was up 1/3 over last year. Last Friday night the art auction was lighter attended, but the ones there brought their checkbooks and averaged a little over last year with fewer buy-backs. Yesterday a sell out crowd and seemed to be down with one marquee item off 2/3 vs. last year. You just never know.

I would look at your deal from a few angles. First off the youth center has $65 more than they had before and that is why it was there. Your name is out there. You have the experience of making it, and can probably do the next one smoother and easier, although the pictures look good. We'd all like to see our stuff sell great, and on another day it will. I have some standard kind of donation items I make to some groups. I have had the same item bring $300 and $2000 to basically the same crowd. I have had over the top stuff sell for half what I'd expect, and some average stuff outsell itself hugely.

Now a few things I do at a benefit auction - live or silent auction. I really do not want to have something sell for half value and then have to make another just like it to sell to a customer the next day. I consider what I pay at the auction to be a donation to a group I support and donate to anyway. I am not afraid to have someone bid on my item on my behalf. The auction staff at many benefits usually has a bidder or even several with the pre-sale proxy bids, reserve, and buy-back bids in their pocket. They will bid on it, call it sold, and the smooth ones will never show what is going on. If they don't have someone covering bids, have a friend bid on it for you. Nothing kills a benefit auction like an announced no-sale. Also sometimes there is only one person interested in an item. They make a low opening bid and then nobody challenges them. They get a bargain, and would have paid more. The organization doesn't get the proceeds they deserve.

There are some tax benefits for donations and some purchases with charitable groups. Check with a tax advisor on that.

As always, your right on Bruce. The best thing for me is that I got my name out there with a little attention. Thanks for all the help you give everyone, James