flyingcuda

where should i start

i have been considering doing seats for bikes...no one in my area does this. i am female, don't own a bike..hubby wants one bad though. what would be the best way for me to start? i called a bike salvage place to see about picking up a trashed seat to practice on...she wants me to do the seats for them! i told her that i have never done one..i dont know if i would be any good at it, but she wants me to go in and discuss it with her. so this seems like it will be a lucrative venture..but i have no clue where to start..any help in direction would be greatly appreciated! thanks.

OK Ill give my advice even though I havnt really done to many seats but a year and a half ago that was the reason I made my first trip to tandy. I wanted to recover the seat on my new motorcycle. Well I still havnt done that but I am getting close lol.

Read as much as you can thru the seat section here. There are so many good examples of seats and several tutorials or atleast pics thru the process. David likes taking pictures as he goes thru the building process. Also check poeples links for ideas. Most of the seat builders here have there websites linked in there sigs.

There are different types of seats which result in different challenges. The chopper style seat pan which is a little easier looking to put together (not saying its easier to carve lol) and then there is the larger cruiser or crotch rocket seats which are the big guys and can pose a little more of a challenge to get them to look right.

I would say go for it. Careful and dont let your self get sucked into a agreement right now and end up wishing you could charge more later if you strike a deal with a shop. However I would get down there and talk to her and maybe get a couple of different seat pans to play with. Good luck and have fun, Im sure the seat gurus will be along shortly to get you more info.

Well first i would suggest reading all the topics in the motorcycles and biker gear section of this forum. there is an unbelievable amount of knowledge archived there. while doing that, i would take a look at all the makers web sites for additional pictures and hints. then start making practice seats and post them here for helpful advice from those who really know their stuff.

you're already at the best place on the internet for learning about leather working...just take advantage of all that's here.

good luck,

ken

oops! i guess i was typing while Madmax was posting...looks like great minds think alike

thanks guys...i have been reading...there is sooooo much awesome advice...i guess the part i'm having problems with is putting it all in order. thickness varies, shapes...and so on...different foams, am i best to start with just the leather part of it? what is the best way to attach...i've seen lacing, studding, rivets, glues. i will continue reading though, this place is vary priceless and so incredible. i think i want to learn it all too fast. how long would you say it takes to be able to produce something sellable for a seat...i know you cant put a precise time on it...but am i looking at 5 months..2 years? the carving i think i can manage..but the building of the seat...oh..and is there much in the way of shrinkage? i've only done things like key fobs, belts , collars and dream catchers. nothing in the way of larger projects. again..thanks to all of you for helping and being so free with your knowledge!

OK really quick.

Leather thickness will vary. As will types of leather for what your doing. Ill let someone else thats more of a pro jump in on that. Personally I would not go less then 6/7oz.

Stitch or lace the leather together but attach it to the seat with rivets or staples. I prefer rivets with washers.

Here is a link to a great place to get foam and such http://www.closedcellfoams.com/neoprene.html

I like neoprene and most poeple that I have heard of like using just neoprene or use it as the base then add a softer foam over the top. Thefoamfactory is a great place and has great quality stuff.

G/L

LOL at mendedbowl. I do the same things alot of time

Hi flyingcuda -

In December last year my husband was thinking of getting a custom leather seat. He was quoted $900 for a plain seat no tooling. He said screw that, looked at me and said "you could do this." I hemmed and hawed about it and said I would have to research what it took before i did anything. Well here it is, May, and I have 4 seats, 3 pillions, and a multitude of bracelets and cuffs under my belt. This forum turned out to be the best in information out of everything on the net. As soon as I found this forum, I read and reread everything I could about dealing with leather. Everyone is so nice and helpful so you can always post a question.

That $900 saved in a seat is probably only half of what I spent in supplies and such (including leather), however, the money I've been pulling in has been going back into the business. I would first start out with tools. If you cruise ebay, you can find vintage/used leather tools for a decent price. I bought my first set of tools for $60 there. It was chock full of stuff. If you're serious about doing it on the side, join Tandy's wholesale club. You can pick up stuff here and there cheaply as you learn more and more about leathercraft.

I have a full time job, so all my free time is spent on leather. I have 3 seat orders right now to fill and I plan to have them all finished in 4 weeks. Each has varying factors in finish time. On one seat, the design part will be the longest. I submitted sketches to the customer for likes and dislikes and am waiting for him to get back to me. I have a feeling I'll be back at the drawing board again to finish a final drawing and that will take time as well. I just completed the final design on another one but the customer is cutting down some of the foam on the padding so I can't make a pattern in leather until that's done. The last one, I just started doing the design which is straightforward, but just needs finalization before putting to the leather.

Sorry so long, I just wanted to give my induction into working with leather and encourage you that it can be done. You need to really arm yourself with as much knowledge as possible before jumping in. But I've found it to be a wonderful and now definitely lucrative hobby!

TinyL

p.s. - be careful though, coz once you start making stuff for other people, then hubby begins to want one of everything you make ( and more, ie. tank bib, saddle bag, tool bag, leather grips... you get the idea :rolleyes2: )

Cuda,

There are two basic methods of making seats....Dry forming for spring mounted chopper seats. They have very thin padding. The seat is constructed with a front leather and a back leather. The back is riveted to the pan the the front laced to the back, sandwiching the padding between. This is how I make seats.

Wet forming for the thicker seats and all frame mounted seats.. The seat front is laced to a thinner "side" piece. This front/side assembly is usually glued to the padding and the thin leather is wet and stretched around the padding and riveted to the back of the pan. Then the excess leather is cut from the back and the back is covered with felt to hide all of the cutting.

This is how Roger makes his seats.

The padding regardless of thickness should always be closed cell foam.... this stuff will not hold water if it gets wet. It is used in lawn furniture and boat seats.

I hope this helps.

Dave

Edited by David

thank you all.. i think i will give this new adventure a shot. TinaL....i think my biggest problem will now be that hubby will want a bike even more now than ever...i can hear him now...you'll need a real bike to practice with :whistle: